Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Modern Potholder Group Quilt

Back in October 2023, I first heard the term "potholder quilt" when I saw someone on Instagram who was making such a quilt. Are you familiar with a potholder quilt? 

I definitely was not, so I did what all curious quilters do - I searched on Google.

This 2019 potholder quilt blog tutorial by Wendy Caton Reed, The Constant Quilter (also on Instagram here), provided good information. I learned that basically you make quilt-as-you-go blocks that are bound and then hand-sewn together, in the manner of English paper piecing. 

It got me to thinking... Have I ever seen a modern quilt made this way? 

Definitely not.

What might a potholder quilt made by a group of modern makers look like? 

Since I've always enjoyed being invited to participate in a group quilt, and I like planning the details to make a group quilt, I decided to organize and make a Modern Potholder Group Quilt.

1) First, I selected a color palette of Painter's Palette solids by Paintbrush Studios. A shop called KC Maker Studio, in Kansas City (where Paintbrush Studios is headquartered) stocks all the colors.  
Top to bottom colors are: Pewter, Banana, Sulphur, Aruba, Bright Aqua, and Agave

2) I made samples of two blocks in two sizes. One block is improv-pieced.

Then, both blocks are layered and hand-quilted with white thread, either size 8 perle cotton, embroidery floss, or Sashiko thread.

I've asked makers to not bind their blocks. That's because my plan is to choose binding colors that will enhance the overall design. 
Bound blocks made by me

3) After working out what the blocks would be, I wrote instructions, and set an April deadline.

4) In late December 2023 I emailed instructions to 15 modern-makers, selected because they piece improvisationally, and big stitch hand quilt. 

I've already received a set of blocks from Betty.
Made by Betty

And another set of blocks made by JoElla.
Made by JoElla

I anticipate being given more blocks from long-distance quilters who will attend QuiltCon. 

A lot more work is ahead - though it's "work" I love! When I have all the blocks, I'll:
  1. create an arrangement
  2. sew binding to each block
  3. hand-stitch to join blocks
  4. and enter our finished group quilt in QuiltCon 2025, in Phoenix, Arizona.
A project like this needed long-term planning, and I'm up for what lies ahead. Watch this space for updates! Linda

11 comments:

  1. You are amazing! How curious you are! I love all your ideas about this group quilt! Looking forwards the next steps of this quilt!😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by this concept, which is why I said YES. You might receive my blocks today? Anyway, thanks for educating us, and the willingness to try something old in a new way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. I've not heard of a pot holder quilt and am now looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of the "pot holder" part, but I have done QAYG before. The two together sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a Potholder Quilt but it looks very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing project, Linda!!! I'll be interested in see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to deliver mine to you at QuiltCon! So looking forward to the big event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE - learned something new about Quilty history too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled by your response to this project, Kathrin! I'm glad you learned something new (just as I did!) and that you seem to like it. Wish I could reply to you through email (you're a noreply-commenter) but I will hope you see my reply here. Thank YOU!

      Delete
  9. I'm sure intrigued to see what you make from your potholder blocks. I've never heard of the concept but did make some self bound blocks as part of my QAYG demo from years ago. Perhaps it's similar.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin