Thursday, January 25, 2024

Prudence and More

A milestone happened Tuesday. While stitching-away during Big Cypress Quilters' business meeting, I finished the Prudence quilt center, my long-term (since June 2019) English paper piecing project. It measures 51" X 51".

Rather than EPP more blocks to fill in scallops around the perimeter (to make the quilt borderless), I've decided to border it. I've been auditioning what I might use. Black seems to best contrast with the quilt center, though I'm not much of a black fabric-lover. I'd prefer to use a different color, but black sure makes it pop!

Another idea I came up with is to piece two fabrics to make a combo border of black and a wider black and white stripe, to contrast with the narrower stripe in the cross blocks. Thoughts? When I've settled on what I want to do, I'll hand-appliqué the EPP edges to borders.
 

Last Saturday's virtual "Map Making" workshop with Timna Tarr @timnatarr was great! I'd been thinking that sometime I wanted to try making a map quilt, and this workshop was the perfect opportunity. 

For privacy sake, I'm intentionally not sharing the map I used, but my locale was inspiration. Wanting to make a quilt larger than the 8" X 8" design suggested by Timna, I learned a new-to-me way to enlarge a design. 

I took a picture of the map, and uploaded the photo to a website called www.blockposter.com where it was resized. Then, almost immediately I downloaded the upsized-photo, and printed it - 9 pages! I taped it together, and selected and outlined the section I wanted to use in my quilt. In fabric, I interpreted it entirely with prints.

After fusing large sections of fabric to a backing, I made quarter-inch bias tape "roads" that I glued into place. The unsewn quilt top is layered on batting and a backing that's a 2005 Lorilee print. This seemed like a good representation of us Florida senior girls.
😀 

Using either 50-weight Aurifil or 100-weight Invisifil by Wonderfil, I free motion quilted. Neighborhoods have angular quilting, to sorta represent houses; ponds are spiral quilted; and green spaces are "topography-quilted." Some roads are indicated with quarter-inch bias tape, made with a Clover bias tape-maker, and then edge-stitched into place.

I faced the 19½" H" X 24½" W" piece, and Wonder-clipped, ready for hand-stitching to the back. 

Book Recommendations
Do Not Disturb
 by Frieda McFadden is a psychological thriller that begins with a murder. Quinn has done the unthinkable, but only in self-defense. She has marks on her neck to prove it. But she knows that no one will believe that her handsome, charismatic, charming, successful husband could have done that to her. She runs.

However, a winter snowstorm impedes her progress. That, and a broken tail light force her to look for an out-of-the-way place to stop. She finds the Baxter Motel and learns she's one of only two occupants. The other is an elderly woman, once a fortune teller. Quinn discovers the dark past of the motel, and the significance of the "do not disturb" sign on the door of the room next to hers. As much as she wants to leave, the weather, and other sinister forces conspire to prevent it. 

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

Typically I don't sequentially read books by the same author, however, I was on a waitlist for The CoWorker, also written by Frieda McFadden and didn't want to let it pass me by. 

Natalie is the top-sales agent at Vixed, a nutritional supplement company. Dawn Schiff is a new employee who's filling the accountant position vacated by a retiree. 
Natalie is out-going, confident and beautiful. Dawn is rigid, fastidious, friendless, and awkward (think Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory). 

When Dawn doesn't show up for work, no one except Natalie notices. It's not like Dawn to not be in her cubicle at 8:45 am sharp, but Natalie seems to be the only person who has attempted to befriend Dawn. She takes it upon herself to find Dawn and goes to her house. Natalie sees that it neat. Orderly. And jam-packed with bookshelves full of books and turtle figures - Dawn is obsessed with turtles. And there's lots of blood. 

As detectives investigate Dawn's disappearance, and later find a body, Natalie receives anonymous phone calls that have her more involved than she wants to be. 

Ms. McFadden is the perfect example of an author who's a master at creating a  last-moment, unexpected twist. I liked this one too!
Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

29 Seconds
 by T. M. Logan is a "what if?" sort of book. What if you didn't like someone? What if that someone was making your life miserable? What if you were given 72 hours to decide whether or not to make that person disappear - forever? If there was no going back, could you make that 29 second phone call?

Sarah is a contract professor in a prestigious department of a London university. Her husband has left her for a younger woman, but she's trying to maintain normalcy - working and taking care of her two children. 

While running late to pick up her children from school, Sarah takes a shortcut, and witnesses what appears to be a kidnapping. She intervenes by driving into the abductor. Later, Sarah herself is abducted only to learn that her abductor is the father of the girl Sarah saved. He wants to repay her but she has only 72 hour in which to make her decision.

This is a good one... and didn't see the end coming! Linda's score: 4.3/5.0

Whew! Three psychological thrillers in a row is a bit much for me. Time to switch genres. 

I really wanted to share a video, but the best I can do is link you to it on Instagram, HERE. This is a screen shot of a moment in the video.

Hilarious! Dee @pixelquilt shows off a quilt that she immersed in water and took outdoors into Oklahoma's 5F temperature. The quilt froze into a stiff board that she carried flat over her head, twirled around, and stood upright in the snow.

If the cold could be avoided, wouldn't that be a great way to photograph all our quilts?

Linda

14 comments:

  1. Well done on finishing the EPP - I am almost done on a two and a half year EPP project...fingers crossed I'll get it done this year! I love the black border with the stripe to finish it off - really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d go with a fairly dark teal for the epp background, because it’s my favorite. I think all of the colors you used would really ‘pop’ on a dark background. Navy would also look great, and not as stark as black. It’s going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your feedback about the quilt border. I've auditioned several other dark colors, but none contrasts as well as the black, which also picks up on the black and white striped blocks in the quilt center. Still, I'm considering all options, and will do some more trial-and-error before settling on one. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Prudence is gorgeous, and I like the idea of the solid black as a border. Another labor of love for sure.. The wide black and white stripe is jarring to my eyes and seems to detract from the ambiance of the center though. The map quilt looks like a fun project, especially living as you do in a more populated area with interesting cul-de-sacs etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully we were somewhat helpful with our suggestions tonight at the SFMQG ‘Sip & Sew’ for a border choice on Prudence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always inspiring to see your work Linda! The map is fantastic and that back fabric is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Prudence quilt reminds me of my EPP quilt by Sue Daley- Quartro Colour. I used a black fabric that had a small white spot. From afar it gives the impression of black but up close is a bit more interesting with the busy blocks. I'm sure, though, that you will work something out that suits your asthetic. I do love the black and white stripe too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast TexasJanuary 26, 2024 at 9:12 AM

    Prudence is beautiful!!! Yes, the black and the striped fabrics together would be perfect. The frozen 🥶 quilt 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I would enjoy the mapmaking quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Pamela! With input from a couple dozen quilters now, I'm pretty sure the black and white stripe is out. Still, I'm playing around with other fabrics, trying to find one that works AND has enough yardage to be useable. That's a tough combo for me. Ah yes, that frozen quilt. Pretty amazing isn't it? Who thinks about doing such things?! I highly recommend Timna's mapmaking workshop, if you ever have the opportunity. And I think it's most successful done virtually though. Can't imagine trying to bring to an in-person workshop all the fabrics you might want to use, not knowing exactly what you're doing.

      Delete
  8. EPP done- check! Hooray and it's lovely. I like the b&w combo. I always think b&w stripes, checks, dots add panache. The OK big freeze quilt is too funny. Three more good titles- but yes, time to change genres, I agree. I'm reading one and listening to another and think I'll need a Chet book after these two. They keep me on edge. All of the pattern in the map quilt is intriguing! Bias tape paths- very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, lucky you to take a workshop with Timna. I love her maps! Didn't realize that she did workshops so I will have to do some digging. And Prudence looks wonderful in the colours that you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prudence is gorgeous! I love the color shift.

    Your book recommendations caught my eye. One my library does not have a kindle version of it but I made a note to check back later in case they acquire it.

    Too funny about the frozen quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous, for your compliment about Prudence. The layout was only my response to using stashed fabric bits to make blocks, and then working out how to arrange them. I'm glad you like it! I do too, though I'm STILL vascilating about which border color is "perfect."

      I know what you mean about making note of a book title and then checking with the library later. It's happened to me that something I wanted wasn't available, and then a few months later it was. Hope you find what you want! And thanks for sharing the giggle about the frozen quilt. :-) Linda

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin