Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Confetti Pouch Exterior Tutorial

Recently I watched a sped-up Instagram reel showing (no verbal explaination) an unusual way to make the exterior of a pouch.

I'm not claiming this concept as my own, but after making several pouches, I've learned a few things that I'm sharing here. Let's make a Confetti Pouch Exterior!

I suggest reading through the entire tutorial, as I've suggested two different methods for putting together the sandwich, and for quilting it. You can choose which is best for you.

Supplies Needed for a Confetti Zipper Pouch
  • Fabric snippets - all the tiny offcuts from block-trimming, squaring-up, and such, that otherwise is dropped into a bag of bits to later use for stuffing a pet bed
    • I specifically sorted through scraps to select snippets that made pretty color combos, making sure that black and white stripes, and/or black and white prints were among the snippets
    • I suggest choosing your zipper tape print or color first. Then choose fabric snippets to color-coordinate with the zipper
    • I do not recommend using thread snippets - they sneak out of the tiny holes of the netting
  • 10½" X 13½" foundation fabric such as muslin, or an old sheet
  • 11" X 14" white netting or mesh or tulle
    • Per a comment received on this post, do not use tulle because it can rip
    • netting and mesh are inexpensive at JoAnn's
    • Consider using a netting color other than white. It may better suit your fabric snippets
    • bridal veil is also an option, though slightly more expensive
  • 11" X 14" fusible interfacing - I like Pellon SF101, but fusible fleece works too
  • lining fabric - Cut 2 pieces 6½" X 10"
  • zipper tabs - Cut 2 pieces 2" X 2" 
  • 12" zipper - I used black and white striped zipper tape purchased from Sew Hungry Hippie, though many other fun options are available!
  • Thread - choose your favorite thread for quilting. It can be 50-weight or 40-weight; and whatever color matches the netting or compliments fabric snippets
  • Sewing machine with a walking foot
Inexpensive netting from JoAnn's
With a 50%n off coupon, I paid .99-cents for a 22"-wide, ½ yard piece! (Oct. 2023) 

Optional - Misty Fuse - A 10½" X 13½" piece can be used to fuse confetti fabric in place before quilting.
Lay 10½" X 13½" Misty Fuse on top of 10½" X 13½" foundation fabric

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are not using Misty Fuse to secure fabric snippets, it's critical to have a large flat sewing machine bed to support your piece as you quilt. It will not work to use only the free arm of a sewing machine. 

The most fun part!

1. Lay the 10½" X 13½" foundation fabric on a flat surface near your sewing machine.
  • If you don't have a flat surface near your machine, consider placing the foundation on a large acrylic ruler, or a small rotary cutting mat
  • Misty Fuse Users: Do NOT use a ruler or rotary cutting mat! Instead, place your foundation on an ironing board. Lay Misty Fuse on top of the foundation fabric.
2. Sprinkle fabric snippets on the foundation, distributing them liberally and evenly across the 10½" X 13½" foundation fabric until you're satisfied with the arrangement
  • Being particular, I use sewing machine tweezers to move pieces around, and turn them right-side up
  • Misty Fuse Users: When you're satisfied with the arrangement, place an appliqué pressing sheet, or a piece of parchment paper over the confetti fabric. Press and fuse confetti pieces to the foundation
Fuse Misty Fuse: lay an appliqué pressing sheet or parchment paper on top, before pressing
.
3. Carefully position 11" X 14" netting over the snippet foundation. While keeping the netting smooth,  straight pin the perimeter of the foundation. No need to pin if you're a Misty Fuse User.

4. Draw a 10½" at the center of the 13½" side of the confetti sandwich (6¾" from each end)
  • I marked with a Clover white Chaco Liner on the line shown in black


5. Gently move the sandwich to your sewing machine bed 

6. Set your sewing machine stitch length to 3.0 or higher (3.10 to 3.15 on my Bernina 770QE). Or set your machine for a Serpentine stitch (Photo further down, shown in pink.)
  • Use a walking foot  to quilt through the marked line. Then, with the side of the walking foot as a guide, continue quilting at ½" intervals until 13½" is quilted

As I quilt, I use my sewing machine tweezers to make sure each snippet is flat and in a good position. 

  • Turn the confetti quilt sandwich and mark a line at the center of the 10½" side 
  • Quilt at ½" intervals until 10½" is covered

Quilting will look like this. 

Or, if you've used a Serpetine stitch, quilting will look like this.

6. When quilting is complete, fuse 11" X 14" SF101 interfacing or fusible fleece to the back of the quilted confetti sandwich. 

7. Trim the piece to 10" X 13"

8. Cut the quilted piece in half on the 13" side (6½" from each end), to make two pieces 6½" X 10". 

Now you're ready to turn your Confetti Pouch Exterior into a finished pouch.


Rather than re-create what's been done dozens of times before, go to this YouTube video by Dandelion Stitches to turn your Confetti Pouch Exterior into a finished piece. 

The video uses pouch pieces that are 8" X 11½", but the method for assembly is exactly the same. With your pouch exterior made, when you start at 8:30 minutes into the video, you'll be able to keep going. 

Go to this YouTube tutorial. Start at 8:30 minutes 

If you make a Confetti Zipper Pouch, or you just make the confetti exterior and don't go any further 😀 I'd love to see what you create! Comment to let me know. Linda

8 comments:

  1. Linda, I WAS wondering what steps you used to make those pouches and here you come up with tonight's post.! You are amazing!
    My only complaint is NOW I'm going to be going down a rabbit hole wanting to get started on trying one. I even watched the video you suggested. Yours are so much cuter and I know time consuming. My other snag is I don't have any of that cute black and white zipper tape. I will try one without it first to see if I can make one. Lol
    Thank you so much for again reading my mind. We are in for a deep freeze starting this weekend. I may have to start to sew. Dar in Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, thanks so much for the tutorial! Can’t wait to try, need to get tulle and look for misty fuse, never used it before. We are expecting below freezing weather Monday so staying home and trying this 🤗. Off to store today while weather still good. Thanks again!😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Pamela! Please keep in mind that Misty Fuse isn't needed. I made two pouches without using it, and only tried Misty Fuse because I had some on hand. I understand about wanting to be "prepared" at home - able to hunker down when the weather's bad, and take advantage of ideal conditions for sewing and creating. Have fun! I hope it goes well.

      Delete
  3. I have done this method and it’s fun! Thanks Linda I will try to use it in a bag! Great tips! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Color explosion fun! Thanks for the tutorial, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun use of tiny scraps. I believe Laura Loewen (Quilt Fort Co.) made a small quilt doing something similar a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I recently made a couple of these using a white tulle as my mesh fabric and found that the tulle ripped too easily! Does the netting work better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous! I haven't tried making a pouch using tulle, so I appreciate knowing from you that it ripped. The netting I used was definitely strong enough, as I didn't have any problem with ripping or even distortion. It was quite adequate for this purpose. Thanks for mentioning your problem! (And I hope you read this comment to see that I DID reply to you!) Linda

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin