Thursday, February 1, 2024

End of January

I am continuing to track fabric usage in 2024.

As my "Fearless Curved Piecing" improv quilt remains stagnant on the design wall, January became a month of only a few finishes, and even those finishes were small. I used not quite five yards of fabric, and made no fabric purchases.

Recent finishes are... a Pelican Tote Bag, a free pattern from Bagstock Designs. I've made the free Sunshine Crossbody bag too, and have found Bagstock patterns to be well-written. 

Fabrics are Anna Maria Horner's "Echinacea" print, purchased a couple years ago from Sew Modern Chicky; and an aqua faux leather purchased at last year's QuiltCon from the Sallie Tomato booth. 

For my Pelican Tote, I used add-on instructions to install a recessed zipper.

In addition to an exterior pocket, the pattern calls for an interior zipper pocket (I can't live without that). I also added to the opposite lining side, a sectioned slip pocket. 

In January, after taking Timna Tarr's Map Making workshop, I finished a 19½" X 24½" map quilt.

Since learning how to make such a quilt, I am itching to start another one that's been brewing in my mind for more than a year. It involves my four different, four-mile power walking routes. 

This fun 2005 "Beach Babes" print is the map quilt backing and facing. 

A line dancing friend to whom I gifted a bowl buddy for Christmas, asked for two more. These also came from my sewing room in January. 

I'm not sure how much sewing will happen in February due to me giving a program to the Sarasota MQG, and attending QuiltCon. Actually, I'm facing the real possibility that fabric may be purchased at QuiltCon! I'm only hoping I can remind myself to keep purchases to a minimum - out of necessity.
😀

Book Recommendations
Happiness Falls
by Angie Kim was an unexpected surprise, primarily because it was about something I know little about - a type of autism called Angelman syndrome. 

The Parks family lives in Virginia, near a large parkland. They'r Korean-American. with three kids - 20 year-old twins, Mia and John; and 14 year-old Eugene who has Angelman syndrome, that leaves him unable to speak.

Dad and Eugene go for their daily walk. Eugene returns home covered in mud, and runs to his room to jump on the bed, a sure sign that Eugene's emotions are running high. Mia thinks he's had a disagreement with their dad. However, as time passes and dad doesn't return home, the police become involved and a search begins. They need to find and speak to a particular person, but everyone is challenges further because of COVID - places that have needed information are closed, and hospitals aren't allowing visitors.  

Ms. Kim has written an engaging story - a sort of mystery - and woven it into a beautiful story with insights into the frustrating perspective of a person who's unable to communicate. Even with incredible patience and perseverance is understanding possible?   

Linda's score: 4.4/5.0

Of the eight books I listened to in January, these six title earned my score of 4.0 or better. You can find reviews of each title in January blog posts. 
Linda

10 comments:

  1. Your map quilt is SO intriguing!! I hope you get to do the other map quilt you want to do. And don't work TOO much about new fabric at QuiltCon! We do need to add to stash both to keep creating AND to provide continued inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your map quilt turned out so well! Fun to look at. Pelican bag- very nice. Do you use a favorite stabilizer in your totes? February will be different, but lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, my goodness! Love the tote bag! I’ve ordered the pattern, yours is so pretty 😍! Was the faux leather easy to sew? I ordered the Tourist tote bag pattern last night and yours looks like a great size too. I made my first pouch following Dandelion stitches tutorial, a plain fabric first and then will try the confetti netting one next. She’s so sweet and easy to follow. My only trouble was my Penny 🐈 trying to bite my thread and play at the same time. Love the map quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! I'm glad you're getting this wonderful Pelican tote bag freebie too! Honestly, I would love making another one. Though the faux leather/vinyl CAN be problematic. Before stitching through vinyl, I've gotten in the habit of putting a piece of paper on top of it so as to help the sewing machine foot move. However, in a couple places I accidentally stitched through the paper, so then had to pick bits of paper from under the thread. I really should invest in a Teflon bottom sewing machine foot. Glad to know the YouTube tutorial I mentioned is working for you! That's great1 Knowing how to make a pouch will make the confetti-scraps/netting sandwich go together even better. I'm happy to know you're doing this! I'm smiling about the kitty. We've never had a cat, but I understand how they can sometimes get underfoot in the sewing room. Keep dodging!

      Delete
  4. What a great handbag, Linda!!! I like that you added a zipper, too. Great job on Zero In for January! We give you permission to do what you have to do at Quilt Con! Cool map! I just finished A Castaway in Cornwall and really enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the map quilts. They look like fun. It will be interesting to see what you do with the "walking" route idea. Thanks, as always, for your reading suggestions. Ooh, QuiltCon. What a fun thing to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were faster to finish a map quilt after the Timna Tarr class than I was! However, I thought it was an excellent class and have enjoyed using what she taught. Looks like you enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super tote bag, love your colours. Enjoy QuiltCon, a little stash enhance would be quite acceptable I should imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The AMH fabric in the tote bag is in my stash and a huge favourite! Your map is amazing. I have always admired Timna Tarr's work. Have fun at QuiltCon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag is so you and looks so professional. Have fun at QuiltCon. I hope you will report on all you see.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin