Wednesday, January 27, 2021

12 Years Ago, and Yesterday

Yesterday, January 26, was Australia Day. On that date in 2009 - 12 years ago! - I wrote my first blog post. It was to show making my first Pav (Pavlova). Have you ever made it?

Twelve years of uninterrupted blog posts is a milestone by my reckoning!

Yesterday was also a special day because, along with quilt-y pals Karen Foster and Jo Avery, we presented a live Webinar to 518 members of the MQG. Our topic, "The Highs and Lows of Temperature Quilts." This is how I set up my space for the webinar.

Upper left: MQG Communications Manager, Brenna; lower left: Karen, in California; lower right, Jo, in Scotland.

It was such a treat to participate in the panel because we learned that each of us had different approaches, and techniques for making our temperature quilts: Karen used prints to make improv-cut rectangle-shaped blocks; Jo cut different-sized freehand-drawn circles (based on her mood) that she is hand appliquéing to a background square; and I used a Classic Curves Ruler to cut solids-only drunkard's path blocks.

I made my temperature quilt in 2019, and finished it in May 2020.

If you missed the webinar, MQG members can watch it anytime through the MQG website. 

Sewing-wise, I'm making slow progress on my Central Florida MQG Scrap Challenge project. After joining the inset circles and inset rings to make a top that measures 71" X 82", I began playing with scrap strips, arranging them to enhance the design. I'm still moving strips around, and beginning to sew them to the top. 

Feeling the need to finish something, I followed a Riley Blake YouTube tutorial to make a "Fun and Useful Clear-view Tote." In the video the tote is made from cut fabrics to measure 12" X 12".

I thought it would be more efficient to use orphan blocks and scrap fabrics, already cut. Two 8½" scrappy orphan blocks suited perfectly. 
back of tote

The black and white stripe was in bits that I pieced for the zipper insert and binding. No waste!

It's difficult to see, but the lower section of the front is vinyl. 

I filled my pouch with finished blocks for my EPP Prudence Quilt - lots of stripes going on in that pouch! It was a fast and fun make that I'll make again. 

It feels good to have even a small finish. My WIPs continue to be WIPs. An audiobook is a WIP too! Baby steps these days. Linda

17 comments:

  1. 12 years of blogging is worth celebrating! Congrats! No, I haven't made a pavlova, but yours looks delicious! I love your temperature quilt and those curves are just luscious...great use of color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 12 years of blogging. I so enjoy your posts that if I don't see one for a few days I panic! The tote is adorable and useful. Thanks for all the fun sharing over the years and congrats on your successful video. As I write this, there is still over a foot of snow on the ground here. Thankfully, the snow plow comes down the road often, so we can get out if needed. No need here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats indeed on your 12 years of blogging!! Yay!
    Hope your presentation yesterday went great - I'm looking forward to watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 12 years blogging is a wonderful achievement, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the webinar went well. I meant to join in, but forgot to put a reminder on my phone. Will have to catch it on the website. That little tote is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I adore you dear friend. I am so happy to know you and that I even found you is wonderful 💖
    please keep doing the things that make you happy, and stay far away from stuff that makes you unhappy. I am too. We are truly blessed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your work and especially this temperature quilt! Stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on 12 years!!! That is awesome. And I LOVE your scrap challenge quilt, so happy and colorful and so you!!!! Perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogiversary! It was fun to see you on the webinar, and thought you all did a great job explaining this phenomenon of temperature quilts. WAy to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 12 blogging years! That's a great accomplishment in this day of instant everything as blogging does take time. Now that you have those color strips added to your circles quilt, I can see your vision for the whole. It's wonderfully complex and thought out, and in a word, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to hearing the temp quilt panel! Your quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos on your first webinar - it looks like a great selection of speakers and nice variety in approaches to the same project. Still love your Temperature Quilt. Do you remember where you got the stand that you are displaying it on? Also love that little tote - just might need to make one of those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your blog anniversary! 12 years is a long time! Your pav looks delicious! Well done on your webinar too., I bet everyone learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's all about the numbers today- 12 years of blogging- Congratulations! And 518 members live- that's astonishing. What time was it in Scotland? Well done. And you have a great set up for televising you and your quilt. I'm sure more webinars are in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on 12 years! That is very impressive. Glad to hear the presentation went well too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogiversary. I heard a good report on your webinar from someone who watched it live, I'm hoping I get a chance to watch this week. That little bag is so clever, good idea to use up some orphan blocks on it, we all have some of those floating around. Mmm, I love pavlova, with only the two of us I don't usually make it unless we have guests and we don't have many of them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great blogiversary! You made me want to see how long I've had mine, and it's been right at 10 years. Blogging sure has helped my skill grow and kept me far more organized and motivated than before. What a valuable tool and terrific social facilitator as well. Love your vinyl pouch from orphan blocks! Super cool storage for a very fun project, too. And it sure does look like the webinar was great fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin