Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Two Months In

I'm making a big deal out of this Kawandi finish because the feeling of "being finished" with something is a rarity these days. This is the fourth Siddi-style quilt I've made since last fall, and the second one I made using my grandmother' fabric scraps. It's such a good way to showcase lots of prints, and even a couple solids I found among the prints. 

As before, I hand quilted with 12-weight Aurifil thread, color 2021 which is a natural white.

This Alison Glass "Diving Board" print (I don't care for it, but it came in a bundle) works as a backing.

I machine-sewed together two labels that I then hand-stitched to the backing. The custom label of my blog logo is from Jennifer's Jewels; the pre-made label, "You Can't Buy This" is from Kylie and the Machine Thecrafttable in Orlando is now selling them.

As of Sunday evening, I've taken two of the "Asymmetrial Symmetry" virtual classes with Maria Shell (two more to go), and may I just flat-out say, "She's kickin' my butt!"

I signed up, intentionally, to learn how to design. Designing is a huge short-coming in my quiltmaking bag 'o tricks, so I thought I'd learn from the best. I've already taken design workshops with Sherri Lynn Wood; Melanie Tuazon; and Carson Converse. My incompetence doesn't come from any of them. I can't seem to get how to design into my dense head! 

Our workshop goal is to design and make (by Valentine's Day) a four-quadrant composition that expresses four different ideas/inspirations, using symmetry in the design, but asymmetry in the components. 

My four quadrants represent: 1) a favorite song: "I'll Fly Away"; 2) my front yard Bismarck palm; 3) an Iowa wind farm; and 4) architectural staircases. I drew this design and then consulted with Maria during class. She suggested that I reconsider the center section, so I intend to piece each whole quadrant first, then deal with the center if it's a problem.

She suggested several ways to use solid fabrics (not prints) in a composition. I chose the one where SIX colors are used in every one of the four quadrants, with SIX different colors used once in a quadrant. That's a total of 30 different colors in the project! The six repeated solids are those laying across the top of these piles - yellow, ginger (the most acceptable, to me, color of "ick" brown), light and dark greens, turquoise, and white.

The good part about this workshop is feeling confident about my ability to choose colors, with a basic understanding of contrast, value, and flat-out "beautiful," as Maria admonishes us to "choose beautiful colors."

I'm self-satisfied about buying 111 yards of Painter's Palette solids in 2020, and putting them to good use.

On my design wall, I taped-out 40" X 50", the largest composition size Maria suggests. I have begun making bits for two of the four quadrants, thinking to work-up a a few bits for each section before committing to making more of them. The lower right is "staircases." The lower left is "windmills." 

Right now, all of it feels "meh," but I'll keep plugging away. 

Hubs and I have put our names on Florida's state registry of residents who are 65+ years old and want a Coronavirus vaccination. We're in a very long queue to receive notification about when and where to go for it. No doubt it will be months until it's our turn.

Pastor Mike nailed Sunday's sermon about miracles (available here on YouTube) - called "signs of the times" in the New Testament. We shouldn't expect them to come from God; we need to look to God to see them. 

These are some of the real Signs of the Times we've been seeing.
For those who have lost track, today is blursday the fortyteenth of maprilay. πŸ˜‚

Book Recommendation 

My fifth book finish in January: A Winter's Promise by Christelle Dabos. This is the first in a three-book series called Mirror Visitor Quartet. As I seldom read fantasy fiction, I have mixed emotions about this one which involves a make-believe world with countries called Arks; people with super-natural abilities such as stepping through mirrors to get from one place to another; a whole family being able to listen-in on a conversation when one member of that member is in conversation; and being able to deliver bodily blows to a person without actually touching them.

The story follows Ophelia, a young girl gifted with the ability to "read" history simply by touching an object. After refusing several arranged marriages, her parents resort to a marriage broker who pledges Ophelia to Thorn, a gruff, giant-sized man from the Dragon clan. Her engagement means moving to the Ark of Pole, where she is disguised until it's time to be presented. While hidden, Ophelia learns the ways of Pole people who she determines mean to use her for her reading ability. The second book in the series is The Missing of Clairedelune.

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Linda

16 comments:

  1. Love that you are using family scraps. Puts a nice touch on everything. Your design looks so neat and tidy and I love the colors. I am also not a fan of brown so I understand keeping it out of a quilt. You still amaze me at how much you get done. Thanks for sharing. Always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your designing looks great so far! Try not to put so much pressure on yourself. I resigned to not being a designer, just a maker, many moons ago. When friends see my work and say I’m creative, I counter with being skilful, not creative. The bottom line for me is to do what I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as usual..... you are busy and doing new things..... go girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your little Kawandi quilts - I was so excited when I saw an email from Sujata this morning with new classes but of course they're already sold out - fingers crossed I'll get to take a class one day :) so excited that you're doing more Maria classes - I love your design and those steps blocks are fabulous - look forward to seeing more !

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the new quilt (and its labels, Linda!!!) Best of luck on that design project. Whatever you do, don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to know you are keeping out of troubleπŸ˜„πŸ₯³
    I love the table mat. it is very cute and pretty
    Those labels are super cool.
    keep being happy.... πŸ’–πŸŒΌπŸ’–πŸŒΌπŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I'd like to think I could design a quilt, there's a better word for it - delusional! Lol! I think you've alway shown a great creative ability or vision with your quilts. Your kawandi series has been fun to see, especially how you've used your grandma's vintage fabrics so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally, something challenges you! Love the work as it is pictured. Keep up the great work!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to look into classes by Maria Shell. I was just re-reading her book this past weekend. I hope you keep going on that project; will be fun to see it take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice finish! Now you've set a challenge for sure in your design. But what an excellent skill builder for start-to-finish designing. I like the concepts for your quadrants. This will be fun to watch develop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like those kawandi quilts. They look like fun.
    Book recommendation: In An Instant by Suzanne Redfearn. I just finished it. Super good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh. Your design class sounds very challenging! I really like the 'stairsteps' you've started in that lower right corner. And I love that one of your prompts is your Bismark!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with Debbie. Challenging for sure. The Bismark is a wonderful thing to include because of what it means to your quilting. I'll be following along to see this develop. Don't be so hard on yourself and your design skills. You make wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the design you've come up with Linda, looks pretty complex but will be a show stopper of a quilt. Your chosen solids are a beautiful mix, I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew! The Maria Shell class does look intimidating--better you than me! However, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it and make something spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your Kawandis! I'm going to have to try one. Now I have a question: some years ago (2016 I think) you did a quilt with pink circles on a green background with white sashing. I decided to have a go and then put it away for some years. I've just about finished the top now although I've left out the sashing. Would you mind if I post it on Instagram, giving you your dues? I don't know how to fix it so you can reply online so here is my email: dfreke@bigpond.net.au. Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin