Saturday, January 2, 2021

Italica Quilt

The afternoon of New Year's Eve day, saw me putting the last hand stitches into the binding of Italica. Though it was windy, it was nice enough to go outdoors for picture-taking from the Bismarck palm in our front yard. 

Italica finished at 71" X 82". It has 12 different colors in it - 10 of which were Painter's Palette solids including some ugh-oh colors like Wasabi and Yarrow. Two solids were Kona: Wabi Sabi and Carrot.

Every quilt I make like this is a lesson in color, and is teaching me to buy and use ugh-oh colors. They "work" because they look right when they're beside another color. If there's nothing else about color I've learned, it's to always: "Look for colors that look good together." If I like it, it works!

Since taking Maria Shell @talesofastitcher improv workshop in September, I've discovered "patterned improv." It speaks to my heart and abilities.

Most of the different design elements (Maria calls them "bits") in Italica are found in Maria's book, Improv Patchwork.


When I begin making bits (ribbons, checkerboards, herringbones, and such) I don't know until they're arranged on the design wall which bits will be used and which ones won't. The bits rejected from the quilt front just had to be used in the back. No waste, right?

This is what my backing looks like after using as many bits and leftover yardage as possible. I completely used up five of the 12 colors. In my book, that's success!

Close-up of the backing. 


I quilted Italica on my Bernina 770QE with a walking foot, mostly in a 2" diagonal grid. 

Threads are a pale gold-colored 50-weight Aurifil on top, and 100-weight beige poly Wonderfil on the bottom. Batting is Quilter's Dream Cotton Request.

I didn't know what I'd name this quilt until I settled on making traditional Old Italian quilt blocks. I pieced six of them with dot bits (two-color checkerboards). 

Then, I Googled "Old Italian" to come across an article about Italica Grondona, a 102 year-old woman from Genoa, Italy who survived Coronavirus last March. 

Italica represents that woman; the quilt block; and the new, improvisational rhythm and pattern of our lives.

No doubt about it, but I for one, lived life differently for most of 2020!

Italica from the back


This was such a happy finish and end to 2020. 

I made a total of 18 quilts, more than I've ever made in one year. Admittedly, that number includes four small ones, though three were hand-stitched Kawandi. Eight of those 18 quilts have already been, or will be, given away. If you're so-inclined, you can view all 18 quilts on the 2019-2020 tab at the top of this home page.


😂 I'm starting the year of well... how 'bout you?! Linda

10 comments:

  1. Just love this quilt - not sure which I love more, the front or the back. Just an absolute stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beauty! And an interesting story to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed hearing more about your quilt, and so glad you found some improv that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your palm tree is the perfect backdrop for this fun quilt! I see a new series in the making. It does seem like every ugh color eventually finds its perfect place in one of our quilts, though there might be a couple of 20 some year old pieces in this stash that may never see their way out of the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really spectacular quilt! And the name is also perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. doing well, nothing bought. In fact my daughter who is just starting to "quilt" took two boxes of give away fabric home today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy this year. Thanks for sharing all your progress and your journey. Happy New Year to you and yours. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie! Thank you for taking time to look at my makes. Being busy was the best way for me to handle the angst and uncertainty of 2020. I imagine much of 2021 will be much the same. I appreciate your good wishes. The same to you! Linda

      Delete
  8. Love the finish! Can't wait to see what improv you make next. I hadn't realized the story behind the quilt name. It's a wonderful connection to 2020 on multiple levels. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, Linda! I love your new philosophy on thos ugh-oh colours, too. Thanks for linking to TGIFF last week and sorry it took me so long to visit :)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin