Friday, October 26, 2018

The Usual Not Much

It's been a full week of the usual activities, along with a routine doctor visit. Good new there. The doc said, "You're healthy." Bloodwork numbers look good too. Thanks to God for this renewed good health chapter in my life!

Sewing-wise, it has been good to pull out a not-too-old WIP (work in progress) that I started in a workshop with Amanda Jean Nyberg (CrazyMomQuilts). I've continued to make "Ring Me" blocks from her book "No Scrap Left Behind."

I now have 50 of these blocks, but I still have way more solid scraps! This is Amanda Jean's suggested layout.

I've been playing with different layouts to use more solid scraps. This is the one I've landed on that I like best, though I'll probably add one more colored square to the center of where those single strips are "aimed."

The quilt will still use lots of white background fabric. I just think this layout is a little more interesting - only my opinion, of course!

I'm still making and eating smoothie bowls, but I've found a new-to-me, healthy (healthier?) treat that satisfies my sweet tooth. Here's what I've been making...

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding It's called "breakfast." (Really?) I'm making it as follows:

1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
1/4 cup chia seeds
3 T cacao powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T peanut butter
1-1/2 T agave
Optional: 1 T peanut butter powder (to add protein)

Measure dry ingredients into a small mason jar, cover, and shake to mix. Then add wet ingredients, cover, and shake well. Place it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, then shake again. Shake again later. Leave overnight, or at least three hours.

To serve:
Scoop half the pudding into a bowl. Top with:

sliced banana
peanuts
cacao nibs
1 tablespoon of warm, melted peanut butter

Eat, enjoy, and feel completely full! Those chia seeds are so filling.

(I hope you like this, Becky!)

I have no clue how many calories this might be, but I do know that I feel so stuffed afterward that I don't eat anything for hours. To me - one who adores chocolate and sweets - this seems more healthy than a bowl of chocolate pudding. I'll eat an entire box of the Jello brand cook 'n serve pudding when it's served warm!

This is a picture I took today of our dear Hogan who is now 15 years old. Even missing an eye, and being more white-haired than ever, he still has a cute face. He's really cuddly too.

After fixing a recent intestinal problem with four different prescriptions, one of which was prescription dog food, we've seen a marked improvement in his digestion. Green beans are out the of picture now. Too much fiber. However, he's no longer taking a steroid for his allergies, so we're noticing how stiff he is when laying down and getting up. His energy level is down too, and that means shorter walks and longer naps. And he has a chronic cough. We hope to learn more at his vet appointment next Friday. We love our sweet boy. Linda

7 comments:

  1. I love Hogan!!! Never met in person but feel like I know him!!! I started my two girls on: cooked turkey, steamed spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown or white rice. My oldest has pancreatitis and on this diet (she also gets 1/4 - little less- of kibble twice a day). NO attacks in over 14 months!!! Hope your boy feels better...we'll do anything for our fur babies and I know Hogan is in good hands too...BTW...love the diagonal placement for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear sweet Hogan- he does have a young face and he hangs in there like a trooper. Nice to hear you got good health news- very encouraging, thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your layout for your scrap quilt. That's gonna look great. Maybe use more scraps to piece the back??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Debbie. The extra rows look really good and bring a new twist to the pattern. Thanks for the recipe too. One of these days day I'm going to try some of your bowls instead of my normal smoothie drink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that new layout--in my opinion it is much more interesting, too! Keep going, I do want to see this one evolve. Glad you had such a wonderful health check-up. I could only wish that for Hogan--hope he is not suffering too much.
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a very cute fun quilt. I also have a mountain of scraps
    Hogan is sweet. Keep smooching on him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Amanda Jean's designs. I'm slowly building one of her scrappy projects on my design wall, too. I love it so much, I’m going to take it with me to for the winter so I can keep adding to it. Glad everything checked out well at the doctors this visit! Whew! Give Hogan an ear rub for me!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin