Monday, May 24, 2010

Perfectly Portable Project Roll-up Tutorial

When I was in Australia, I had the pleasure of making a returning for the May get-together of the Sydney Southern Cross Quilters. On the first Saturday of each month they meet in Waitara.

Sitting next to Loz, I got to see this cute roll-up in which she carried her hand-piecing.

She was working on a block from her "Farmer's Wife" quilt.
And what a clever way to transport her project!

It's a wonderful thing, made from just a heavy cardboard tube (like a mailing tube), a couple pieces of fabric, some batting, and a piece of ribbon.

After much scrutiny, a couple measurements, and some note-taking, I vowed I'd return home and make one for myself.

And voila! I now have my own project roll-up!
I chose to make mine with fabric "born" in Australia. This print from Marcus Brothers is from the "Rainbow Garden" collection by Prints Charming. Prints Charming is a shop in Annandale, New South Wales, Australia, where I visited last November!


Here's my finished 14"-long roll-up with my project laying inside. It's another Joseph's Coat block that I'm hand-appliquing following Kellie's (www.DontLookNow.typepad.com) Joseph's Coat Quilt Along.
I intentionally left a plastic cap on one end of the 1-1/2" diameter mailing tube so I could fill it with the tools I will use when working on this block. Pretty cool, huh? The project and storage all in one little roll-up!

The roll-up is not my own idea, but I thought you might like it as much as I do. So, I offer you my tutorial.


The tute includes a supply list and step-by-step instructions with 18 photos. I hope you like it. Send me a picture after you've made yours!

11 comments:

  1. that's a great idea! i must make one for my applique projects!

    thanks for sharing! shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that roll up. Loz made me one a few years back and I tote it around. I even like it for my embroidery so it keeps it nice and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea, especially leaving the end on the tube to put supplies in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah you did it. I was using mine the other day on a FWS block wondering when you would make yours. Deb's one is aboriginal fabric I think from memory. Like your extra idea of using the empty tube for supplies - does chocolate fit in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really great idea, especially with have the tube to also put your supplies in. I'm going to have to remember this - very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great Tutorial Linda, you really do great instructions. Posted the link for the Buderim Patchwork girls to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is a cool idea. I need some "free" pattern I ideas for a monthly gift exchance one of my clubs is doing. This one is perfect - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made quite a few of these rolls for swaps that I do. I use a foam pool noodle for mine ( its the same shape and you can stick pins into it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your link is not working for the roll-up block carrier. Is this no longer available? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Linda at Flourishing Palms: This link has been fixed on March 2, 2012

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you fix the link again please?
    Thanks,
    Verna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin