Thursday, May 20, 2010

Making Quilt Labels

It's been a week for making quilt labels, and what a good, completely-finished feeling that is!

Most often I make my quilts with sew-on Printed Treasures, a densely woven fabric backed by paper. I purchase mine from my LQS (local quilt shop); $18 for five 8-1/2" X 11" sheets. Not inexpensive, but it produces a quality result.

I begin by designing the label in my computer. My old PC with Microsoft Publisher software gives me the most options for making a snazzy label. The program includes numerous decorative borders that I can change in size and color.

This quilt label for the Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp auction coming up August 7, was designed with Publisher. The border is pine trees, suiting the front of this quilt.

With my new MacBook, I'm limited in the designs I can make because I'm using Pages software that came with my computer. The program has no border options except for lines, like this label made for Addison's quilt. But I like that I could include our church logo in the design.

Pages software also allows me to include logos and photos in label designs. This is the label for my newest grandson's quilt. Remember, Austin's the baby I'd nicknamed "Eric" before he was born.

This label made with Pages software finishes the requirements for the Embroidery Mini Quilt Swap I'm participating in. See how I included the swap logo in the label design?
This is a sneak peek of the quilt. I can't yet reveal it, nor what country it's going to, but it is winging its way to the recipient!

Whether I use Publisher or Pages software, I print the label on paper first. That's where to check spelling, layout, and the actual size of the label. My tendency is to design a label that's too large! Taking a look at it first on regular printer paper saves on wasted Printed Treasures.

I've also learned that it's best to design and print several labels at a time, to fill up the 8-1/2" X 11" page if possible. If you design and print just one or two labels, you end up with an odd-size page of Printed Treasures that may not feed easily into the printer a second time.

After cutting out each label, about 3/8" from the outside edge of the border, remove the paper backing. Don't be silly and forget to do this, as I have! A crinkly-sounding label is not what we're looking for here. Turn under and press about 1/4" on all four sides. Then use an applique stitch (blind stitch) to hand-sew the label to the quilt back on the bottom right corner. That's my favorite spot. When stitching, I try to use a heavier-than-usual white thread, or double the strands so the label stays on good and tight. With Printed Treasure - it being a much denser fabric than normal - you'll need a thimble too. It isn't always easy to get your sewing needle through the folded edge of the label.

I hope this information is helpful to those of you who haven't been labeling your quilts. You know who you are!

3 comments:

  1. I wondered how you made the label for your mini. I saw it on flickr.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the front of your mini. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the label you made for "Erics" quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Now to hunt down Printed Treasures!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin