Thursday, March 7, 2024

QuiltCon Raleigh - Part 5

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, so to speak, by posting more photos from QuiltCon. 😄
But in fact, I have a few more to share. Most of these aren't award-winning quilts, which I often prefer to quilts that QuiltCon judges like.

If you expected to see your QuiltCon quilt in one of my posts, and you didn't, it's likely because I missed seeing it at the show! While I was certain I had walked through every aisle, I apparently did not. The show this year was that big.  So, in random order... 

In the Super Scrappy Challenge was Nightlife made by Laurice Earl @allaboutcolorquilter. It's 82" X 66" and was longarm quilted with wavy lines.

Linearity: Points and Counterpoints is 16" X 16" (Small Quilts category) and was made by Karla Miley @mileykkm. 

It was domestic machine quilted. 

Also a Small Quilt is Don't Take the Straight and Narrow by Bridget Pasternak. 

It's 23" X 35" and was domestic machine quilted. Obviously. 😊

My South Florida MQG friend, Sarah Muslim Lefebvre @sidestitchesdesign had three quilts in the show. Triangular Waves is 26" X 36". It was foundation paper pieced and domestic machine quilted. No surprise; it sold. 

Speaking of quilts sold... none of mine sold this year, perhaps because I valued my quilts more highly this year than last. I made the decision to up prices after attending a lecture on just that topic - valuing your work.

Still, overall, I don't think quilts sold as well this year in Raleigh as they did last year in Atlanta. I tracked the 176 QuiltCon quilts that were for sale in Raleigh, and at my last look (in the QuiltCon app) before the "Buy a Quilt!" section was taken down, only 28 quilts had sold. Most of them were in the $500 or less price range.

In Handwork was U-Turn, a 42" X 50" quilt made by Debbie Shives. 

Debbie said she longarm quilted wavy lines and then filled in between with hand stitching using wool thread. 

I showed this 23" X 53" Scrappy Manhattan quilt in an earlier post, but I'm sharing it again because Clara Stoikow @bimbambuki_blog was creativity ingenious with how she made it. One of the judge's noticed it too because Clara won judge Stacey A. Watson's "Judge's Choice." 

Clara hand appliquéd cording as main roads, and curved roads and tunnels are made with elastic. It's domestic machine and hand quilted. Clara does amazing work!

This quilt was easily recognizable as the work of Emilie Trahan @mili.tra whose quilt Blooming won Best in Show at QuiltCon Together in 2021. This is Live Stream (what lies beyond the physical world) in the Piecing category. 

It's 69" X 80" and was line-quilted on a domestic machine. 

In the Maximalism Exhibit was United Stripes by Karen Duling @karenbduling. 

It's 36" X 46" and was straight line domestic machine quilted. 

I've been a long-time fan of Sophie Zaugg @lunalovequilts designs because they're always colorful, and very graphic. This is Positive. 

In the Modern Traditionalism category, Positive is 39" X 39" and was domestic machine straight line quilted. 

Also in Modern Traditionalism is Colosseum, a 60" X 60" quilt by Michelle Wilke @ml_wilke

It's another quilt that was straight line domestic machine quilted. 

My friend Patty Dudek @elmstreetquilts had three quilts in the show, and this one, The Twist, was in the Small Quilts category. It's 22" X 22" and was creatively assembled by making two identical quilts, cutting a circle from one, and appliquéing it to the other. Patty domestic machine quilted it. 

Pop! by Nikki Woolsey @nikkidwoolsey is a 60" X 60" quilt that was in the Windham Fabric Challenge. It was straight line longarm quilted.

You might recognize this distinctive piecing style as that of Maria Shell @talesofastitcher and you'd be right! Hulabaloo was in the Modern Traditionalism category, and features lots of her patterned improv piecing. 

Hulabaloo is 55" X 57" and was one of three quilts Maria had in the show. It was longarm quilted with straight lines. 

The CatBird Quilts tagged me on Instagram to let me know they included my Maximalism Quilt, Feelin' Groovy, in their YouTube review of QuiltCon 2024 Maximalism and Improv Quilts, if you'd like to take a look.

And so... I will leave QuiltCon Raleigh behind for now, and look ahead to projects of my own. 

As much as I admonished myself to NOT participate in any BOMs or Alongs in 2024, I find myself making blocks with the Seattle MQG @seattlemqg. Their member, Louise Wackerman @imfeelincrafty designed Like, Totally Quilt and have invited others to join. It's free.

Though I'm using five solids, all my background pieces are low volume and neutrals from my stash. These are the five February blocks. 

And here are the eight March blocks. 

I'm also moving along with domestic machine quilting (Bernina 770QE) Prudence, my long-term EPP project. The quilt center has been walking foot and ruler quilted - concentric circles were ruler-quilted. What remains to quilt are borders. 


On Wednesday, my friend Jody and I went to the movie theater to see the last two episodes - numbers 7 and 8 - of Season 4 of The Chosen (not yet released for free to the general public). I shed tears at least four times.

In the last scene, two disciples have just brought to Jesus the unridden donkey colt that He mounted and began riding into Jerusalem as Passover was being celebrated. His disciples and followers trailed after Him. Very poignant.

The Chosen series will conclude with Season 7, so many more poignant scenes are to come. Linda

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the quilts. There are so many to like. Glad you got to go and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thanks for sharing the quilts for the ones who have to stay at home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your recap post, once again. Thank you for all your work on those. Curious if Triangular Waves was square or actually wavy - it's hard to tell in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who can't go to QuiltCon, I adored EVERY single iota of info you shared about it, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Becky! What a nice thing to say! You gave me a happy boost for writing all these blog posts about QuiltCon! Honestly, it took a lot of time to write each post, so as to give proper credit (maker name, social media handle, quilt name, quilt dimensions) on every quilt. I'm extremely happy to know you enjoyed what I shared. Thank you SO much for saying so... and making my day. I really appreciate blog-readers - commenters! - like you! Hugs. Linda

      Delete
  5. I have apparently been under a rock and just emerged to find you are on Part 5! Must go back and read the rest. But these quilts are such fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That "Live Stream" quilt is especially amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thank you so much for including Scrappy Manhattan! QuiltCon seems like a century ago (I am in Germany right now, apartment hunting in Berlin) but I so enjoyed seeing so many gorgeous quilts and lovely quilters. You are one of them, of course!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin