Tuesday, March 5, 2024

QuiltCon Raleigh - Part 4

Improvisation is a QuiltCon category of quilt that I enjoy viewing, and that I've had ZERO success in having a quilt accepted into. Improv continues to be my most challenging, and success-elusive quiltmaking method. 

These are a few of the QuiltCon Improv quilts, many of which are simply straight-line quilted, as we saw a lot of at QuiltCon this year. 

Project 8 is a 56" X 64" quilt made by Laura Lowen @quiltfortco It's straight line domestic machine quilted in a grid pattern.

Lido is 56" X 56" and was made by Patricia Heath @mysterypoppy and straight line longarm quilted. 

Ode to Yellow was made by Carolina Oneto @carolina.oneto and is 51" X 41". It's straight-line domestic machine quilted.

Oquirrh is a 90" X 90" quilt designed by Ashelyn Downs @urbandwellstudio and longarm quilted in a straight line diagonal grid by Jen Ostler. I took a picture of this one because I was interested in Ashelyn's work. 


That's because I took Ashelyn's Large Scale Minimal Improv workshop at QuiltCon.

I learned after registering for the workshop, that she's been quilt making for about two years. Since I've been making quilts for 45 years, it probably isn't surprising that I didn't learn anything new to me.

Except for 15 minutes of instruction, and a review of this lovely booklet/handout she prepared, students spent 2¾ hours pressing fabrics, rotary cutting, and piecing components at a Brother sewing machine. 

These are the fabrics I'm using in my quilt - eight linens (on the right); nine quilting cottons (on the left); and a few denim scraps (at the top).

These three components are what I accomplished during the workshop. I have quite a way to go to make a quilt!

These are some of the QuiltCon quilts in the Piecing Category.

Escape Room by Hillary Goodwin @entrophyalwayswins is a 56" X 67" quilt.

It was densely straight line domestic machine quilted. 

Sock Hop, a 42" X 42" quilt was made by Lee Zuk @vernerific. 

It was domestic machine quilted. 

An excellent example of transparency, Notes to Self is 56" X 64" was made by Sarah Ruiz @bysarahruiz

It was straight-line quilted on a longarm. 

While I'm generally not a fan of T-shirt quilts, I appreciate the way Mac Barnes @macbarnes.art creatively pieced this 72" X 52" YMCA T-Shirt quilt. 

It was straight line quilted on a longarm. 

Intersectionality is a 53" X 63" quilt made by Heather Ackerberg @gladhand_sews. It was straight line grid quilted on a longarm. 

Forthcoming Quilt was made by Holly Clarke @holdmyseamripper. It's 63" X 63" and was straight line domestic machine quilted. 

Broken Trellis was made by Michelle Wilke @ml_wilke whose lecture - Idea. Design. Create. Quilt. - was very informative. For the first time I heard it said that "Improv means designing as you go." I always thought it was only creatively rotary cutting (without a ruler) and piecing. But improv is also figuring out a design as you go! That was my biggest take-away from Michelle's lecture. 

Anyway, Broken Trellis is 48" X 60" and was straight line longarm quilted. 

I think by now you've worked out that straight line quilting seemed to be predominant at this year's show. So when I saw Cosmic Curves by Ben Darby @huntspatchquilts, I appreciated seeing his creative domestic machine quilting.  

Cosmic Curves is 58" X 75". Look at that quilting!

As long as we're looking at creative quilting, how about this quilt? On the Verge was in the Minimalism category and made by Tara Evans @taraleequiltery It's 70" X 76". 

On the Verge was longarm quilted. Check out those little "inchworm" satin stitches in the quilting. Very creative. 

I could go on and on, but I'll save more QuiltCon pics for another post which will likely be my last on the topic of QuiltCon. In the meantime, if you'd like to see some fantastic pictures of QuiltCon quilts, check out this blog post by Leila Gardunia. She's a Missouri quilter I first met when we both lived in Iowa. 

Leila has a lovely online review of 52 quilts she liked at the show. My Feelin' Groovy quilt is first among them, though I'm sure that doesn't mean anything.

I recommend taking a look. Her excellent quality photos really show off the quilting.



Instagram is still popping up lots of QuiltCon pictures.

I was surprise when this picture came up. Love seeing my Feelin' Groovy maximalism quilt being perused by someone who is obviously a quilter herself!

There were dozens and dozens of quilted jackets being worn at this year's show. Linda




7 comments:

  1. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast TexasMarch 6, 2024 at 6:55 AM

    Oh, no! Caught in the act! Looks like that lady is touching your quilt!🤭 my favorite is the blue one that looks like pick up sticks 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really think she was touching my quilt? I guess I missed that. But even if she did, it doesn't bother me. Yet, funnily during QuiltCon, we repeatedly heard Elizabeth Dackson on the P.A. system sternly saying, "Do not touch the quilts." I guess with quilts priced and valued in the thousands of dollars, it's best not to touch. "The blue one," Escape Room, is by a very talented modern-maker, Hillary Jordan. Her quilt "2020 Vision" won Best in Show at QuiltCon 2022 in Phoenix. The colors, design, and quilting are what I love about modern quilts. I'm not fond of quilts with "messages."

      Delete
  2. Rosemary B here:
    Meh, touching quilts. It is not a crime haha
    These are interesting quilts, Linda. Thank you for sharing.
    Everyone has great use of colors and quilting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed seeing quilts from QuiltCon that I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing some new to me ones. I love the quilting texture of On The Verge. Your machine quilting is always so interesting and thoughtful for the shapes and piecing you do. I think it adds a lot to your quilts. Wondering about teachers with only 2 years of experience. I would think most people going to QuiltCon have been quilting for longer than that and would appreciate more experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your improv pieces, looking forward to seeing them come together into a quilt! What a fun range of quilts you've shared, I think my favourite is the very first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! It's so nice of you to remark about my improv pieces. They're definitely minimal - simplistic - but hopefully, as a whole, will make an impact. Thank you for noticing them! And I'm glad you like the quilts I shared. I agree that Laura Loewen does a great job of making colorful quilts that lots of us like a lot. She always has several quilts accepted into each QuiltCon. She's a skilled designer and maker.

      Delete
  5. I hear you about taking a workshop and not learning much new. I continue to take classes to get new ideas/techniques/perspectives, but agree that after 45 years of quilting much of it is bound to be a repeat. Despite that, I'll bet you come up with a fun quilt (eventually, among all your other projects)!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin