Sunday, March 17, 2024

Cutting and Piecing

Happy mail this week was this Hobbs cotton wool batting which was my prize for being among eight winners in the Modern Quilt Guild's "Use It: Quilt Back Challenge." Winner's list including pictures of backings.

Winners were told we'd receive our batts in February, so while at QuiltCon, I thought to stop in the Hobbs Batting vendor booth, say thank you, and offer to take the batt home with me - saving their shipping cost, I thought. However, I was told that because there had been an October 2023 fire at the Hobbs facility in Waco, they were behind in order fulfillment. They had to scrounge to come up with sample batting packages to display in their booth! So, I feel extra grateful that they sent me this batting. 

With only 27 more blocks to make for my Glitter quilt, I've been motivated to cut out and machine piece all the remaining blocks, in readiness for hand-piecing. (I'm hand-piecing the four outside corner pieces for accuracy of the Y-seam.) 

I've also begun making a quilt for a special friend. The design involves pulling out each of my color-sorted shoeboxes of solid scraps, improv-cutting and piecing bits together, and then using a Hex N More ruler to cut 60-degree triangles.

The quilt pattern is called Floating Pyramid. I'm delighted I can use scraps to piece these shapes. The finished quilt will be cute!

Book Recommendations
The Irish Boarding House by Sandy Taylor is about Mary Kate, a young woman in Ireland who's destitute. Her mother abandoned her at birth, and she was raised by her loving grandparents. After their passing, she's forced out of her tenant row home where happy memories were made, and into a world not meant for single women. 

Ready to end her misery, Mary Kate is saved by an unexpected inheritance that allows her to fulfill her dreams. She restores an old house, and fills it with women and girls in need. She creates her own family, finding the good in others, and in a life that can be happy in spite of trials. 

This was a refreshing book to listen to. I appreciated Mary Kate's genuinely generous nature, and the fact that a story can be told without swearing, brutality, and murder. A charming story with a touch of faith... just the sort of book I like.

Linda's score: 4.5/5.0

Only the Beautiful
 by Susan Meissner takes place shortly before and during WWII. Part one focuses on Roseanne whose parents and brother have died in an accident. The family has lived on the property of a California vineyard, where her dad was employed. With no other family, Roseanne is taken in as a ward of the owners, and employed as domestic for the family. 

Roseanne is taken against her will to a facility for the mentally insane. She has a condition, later identified as synesthesia, that deems her unfit. Not only does she have no family, but she's unwed, and pregnant. During five difficult years, her life is unalterably changed. 

Part two focuses on Helen, the sister of the man who owned the vineyard. Helen has never been married, but has lived a fulfilled life in Europe as a nanny to several families. While in Nazi-occupied Vienna, she and the family she cares for face a new, unbelievable reality - children with disabilities are being medically tortured and killed in a program called Operation T4. Helen goes to Switzerland to help disabled children escape Austria. Following the war, she returns to California to her brother's vineyard. 

The author makes an excellent correlation between these two stories - comparing US eugenics laws in the 1930s to 1970s, to Nazi race purification crimes that euthanize children with mental and physical disabilities. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

Travel Insurance
As some of you know, in late January I was to have traveled to the Holy Land. My sister and I had planned to go to Israel and Egypt for two weeks with a group led by a bishop from the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America). What happened on October 7, 2023 changed all that. 

The Atlanta tour company we planned to travel with returned 100 percent of the monies each person had paid to that point, and provided a letter indicating that the tour company itself had cancelled our trip. The letter was given so we could each obtain a refund for travel insurance. 

Last July, through IMG Insurance I purchased travel insurance for $438. In November, by email I requested a refund and provided proof of trip cancellation and my refund check. When I didn't receive a response from IMG, I called and spoke with a representative who told me I could not get a refund. Instead, I have two years in which to use the insurance; and I cannot transfer the insurance to someone else. I was promised (in December) a phone call from an IMG supervisor to discuss it. I haven't heard anything since.

In the meantime, my sister has received a full refund from TravelEx for her travel insurance purchase.

I'm cautioning every travel insurance buyer... beware be aware of who you select to do business with. 

Linda

10 comments:

  1. Floating Pyramid - love the name and the design. So effective with the solid colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floating Pyramid is very nice! Oh my gosh, the whole point of trip insurance.... what to say??? That is one heck of a policy. Frustrating. Might one of the Orlando tv stations consumer advocates look into it further? It might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Floating Pyramid" will be such a special gift and blessing for your friend! The travel insurance fiasco is just wrong. You may want to contact the Better Business Bureau. We were just looking into purchasing a yearly plan, and I won't even look at this company now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻March 18, 2024 at 7:46 AM

    Oh my! So sorry about the travel insurance fiasco! Yes, the BBB should be contacted. Love the pyramid quilt, your friend will too! 🥰 I haven’t tried the cotton/wool blend batting yet, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comissurating about the travel insurance. I don't think anyone can do anything about it, as IMG told me it's their underwriters who aren't allowing refunds. I just wanted to share this because - in my opinion - no one should buy travel insurance from IMG. I sure hope my friend likes the quilt! She's a quiltmaker herself, so at least she'll appreciate the work that went into it. :-) I have used Hobbs cotton/wool batting once now, in my latest "Prudence" quilt finish (I haven't yet shared it on my blog). It quilted just fine, so I really don't know how to test it. Hmm. The quilt has been folded in a bag for a while now, so maybe taking it out and unfolding it will be telling. I've heard that because of the wool, it won't hold wrinkles, so that makes a cotton/wool batt good for a show quilt. I'll pay attention when I get it out of the bag.

      Delete
  5. Love the floating pyramid quilt - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Floating pyramid is such a cute use of solid scraps! And I like how you're piecing Glitter mainly by machine, with hand piecing those last 4 Y seams. Keep trying with the IMG. Or maybe book a quilt cruise and use it toward that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your floating pyramid! That will be a beautiful quilt :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was supposed to go the Holy Land in February with the same tour organizer! Luckily I opted not to buy travel insurance until closer to departure. It's sad, I may never get there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! So you were to have traveled with Elias Tours too? The tour company encouraged us to buy our trip insurance early, so I bought mine in July 2023 for the January 2024 trip. Such a big mistake! I'm happy for you to have not purchased yours. It IS sad about not being able to go though. I feel the same. However, Kristi McLelland has begun promoting an "Experience Israel Tour" that she is leading. The trip is October 28-November 8 this year. Personally, I'd be very hesitant to plan such a trip at this unsettled time.

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin