Tuesday, February 20, 2024

QuiltCon Ahead!

It's been a bit of a whirlwind for the past five days, as I've scrambled to fulfill commitments and prepare for QuiltCon.

I had a "Squirrel!" moment last Friday when I saw on Instagram that Sewingtimes Nancy had posted a new, free YouTube tutorial: DIY Reusable Shopping Bag. It seemed like the perfect thing to tuck in my purse, for possible (HA!) QuiltCon vendor shopping. 

Back in 2016 I won an Instagram giveaway of a Kona Kaufman fabric panel, and this was the perfect way to use the whole piece!

You can see the pocket into which the bag is folded. 


It's about 5" square when all tucked-up - a nice, portable size.




















I also made two more bags using other Florida-themed prints that I anticipate giving away at QuiltCon.

Friday brought a delivery... another Instagram giveaway. I know, I know... I'm fortunate! 😇
For linking @magicfabriccare to my Unallocated scrap quilt IG post, I won these seven items from Magic Fabric Care, a division of Faultless, in Kansas City.

1. (front) iron cleaner, in a tube
2. (L-R) Quilting & Crafting Spray (mist, 16 ozs.)
3. Quilting & Crafting Fabric Fresh
4. Quilting & Crafting Spray (aerosol)
5. Quilting & Crafting Steamer Boost
6. Quilting & Crafting Fine Mist Sprayer 
7. Quilting & Crafting Spray (mist, 3 ozs.)

I've already tried Quilting & Crafting Fabric Fresh, so I know it works beautifully to remove wrinkles from even the most-wrinkled quilting cotton. It will be a real treat to use the other products too! Thank you, @MagicFabricCare

A Saturday trip two hours south took me to Sarasota where I gave a Big Stitch Quilting and More program and trunk show to about 40 members of the Sarasota MQG. 

After lunch, most of them stayed for the stitching demo.

The program coordinator, Lois, prepared kits so everyone could try big stitch quilting with perle cotton on a quilt sandwich made with linen. 

If you notice lots of pink linen, that's because Lois found an inexpensive pink linen tablecloth to cut up and make kits. Great idea!
How's this for a little connection? Lois, the Sarasota MQG program coordinator took my domestic machine quilting workshop when I taught in Rock Hill, South Carolina in August 2017 (during the eclipse!)! When she became program coordinator in Sarasota, she remembered that I teach! Thank you for inviting me, Lois! I had a wonderful time with your chapter.


On Sunday, with my best Bible study friend, Jody, I had the privilege to again go to the movie theater to see episodes 4, 5, and 6 of Season 4 of The Chosen.

Every episode continues to be thought-provoking, and (for me) very emotional. So many things that were portrayed - for example, the Mary and Martha story (Luke 10: 38-42) - that provide vivid and profound moments of understanding that move me, and have enlighten my thoughts and the reality that Jesus lived on earth!

I pray for Dallas Jenkins, writer and director of this series. He's taking on a great responsibility to portray Jesus in a manner that's Biblical, authentic, and plausible. For his efforts he's answering to some criticisms, and I admire the thoughtful and caring way he responds.
made by Ashelyn Downs




Now I'm attending to last-minute QuiltCon preparations. Packing. And prepping supplies for two workshops.

I've pulled fabrics for Large Scale Minimal Improv that's Friday evening from 6 to 9 PM.

This quilt sample was made by the instructor, Ashelyn Downs @urbandwellstudio

We are to bring one or two inspiration fabrics. The Dutch-made African print along the bottom is my color inspiration. I purchased that piece at the October 2021 Broward Quilt Expo in Pembroke Pines, Florida. 

Fabrics along the top are (L-R) accent colors; five neutral linens; three solids; two neutral prints; and three pieces of denim. It remains to be seen whether I use them all. 

I'm also taking Jo Avery's Improv Tiny Piecing workshop which requires a much less extensive fabric pull. 

Book Recommendation
Such Kindness
 by Andre Dubus III is the story of Tom Lowe, a happily married man with a young son, who works too hard in his construction business. He's always worked long hours to get ahead - to give his family everything they want and deserve. Then, one fateful day while roofing without a safety harness, he falls off a roof. Overnight he's thrown into a pain-filled world - with burning hip pins - that lead to drug addiction, alcohol abuse, and the ruin of his marriage and relationship with his son.

Now Tom is getting by, day by day, living from one disability check to the next in subsidized housing where he's neighbors with others like himself who are struggling to get by. 
As he lays the blame for his problems at others feet Tom's situation goes from bad to worse. It's the fault of the banker who loaned money at an adjustable rate for the home Tom build. It's the fault of his wife who left him for an attorney who could provide a better life.

Such Kindness would be great for a book club discussion! I would be interested to know others' views on Tom's character as he evolved from being frustrated and blaming, to sincere gratefulness and appreciation. 

The only thing I didn't care for was the narration. Believe it or not, the author himself, Andre Dubus III reads the book. I found his droning monotone voice less than compelling, and without distinction among different characters. If it weren't for the narrator, I would have scored it higher.

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0 

QuiltCon Ahead!
I don't know this fella, but his name is Larrie, and he's going to QuiltCon. My friend Candi, tagged me when she saw this Instagram picture and spotted my Log Jam quilt behind Larrie. It's my quilt that was displayed at QuiltCon Atlanta (2023) in the "Log Cabin Challenge" category. Apparently Larrie liked it! Though Larrie was not the buyer of Log Jam which sold at last year's QuiltCon. 
So indeed... Raleigh, here I come! I'm riding there with two quilty friends. We plan to arrive in time for the QuiltCon awards ceremony. If you're a member of The Modern Quilt Guild, you too can watch the award ceremony! Clink the link to watch, Wednesday, February 21, 7 PM Eastern time. 

Until next week, when I'll have lots of QuiltCon pictures and blogging to do, happy making my friends! Linda

8 comments:

  1. Those are cute little fold up bags you made. I'm sure you will enjoy your time at Quilt Con.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have happy times ar QuiltCon Linda - looking forward to hearing all about your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also loving The Chosen! I rewatched seasons 1-3 in preparation for the theatrical episodes. The intellectual tidbits and connections are fun but what is best for me (because I lack it more) is the fostering of imagination and emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! You're a "no-rely commentor" so I hope you read my response here. I'm glad you have been able to keep up with "The Chosen." I didn't do a re-watch as you did - good idea though! - as I just completed all three sessions of workbooks - one for each season - with my virtual Bible study women's group from West Des Moines, Iowa. Doing the studies is a wonderful way to watch each episode, look at insights and answer questions, and then talk about it as a group. I'm hoping season four and future seasons will include studies too. Agree completely about how the series sets new perspectives in motion. Jesus was and is real!

      Delete
  4. Rosemary B here:
    Linda, have a great time at Quilt Con
    Hubbs and I love The Chosen too
    I wish you safe and happy travels

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bag with all the colors! Did you add fusible fleece or interfacing? The big stitching the ladies did looks like they will do again 🤗. Maybe you’ll run into Larrie 🤭 at quiltcon, safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela! Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm back at home now from QuiltCon, and still luxuriating in the whole experience. It was bigger and better than ever! Thanks for liking the fold-up bag. No, there's no fleece or interfacing in this bag. It's just a single layer of quilting cotton. I'd be concerned about the fold-ability of it, if there were more layers. Nope, didn't see Larrie, but then, I didn't see several people I know! The attendance was expected to be 10,000, and if I was to venture my opinion, I bet there were way more. The crowds were huge, with lines for everything - vendors, bathrooms, food stands... and not nearly enough places for people to sit. I hope to write several blog posts about my impressions.

      Delete
  6. Aha! A tote bag for purchases at a show--I may just have to get to work!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin