Saturday, December 23, 2023

Christmas Presents

After seeing my friend Debbie's (A Quilter's Table) version of an "On-the-Go Project Bag," (Debbie's blog posts here and another here.) I had to make a couple of them too. From an online store selling used books, I bought Svetlana Sotak's, That Handmade Touch which has these instructions. My book came from a Goodwill store in Austin, Texas! 

I used denim, and a canvas-weight print for each. Handles are ¾"-wide leather from Sew Hungry Hippie.  

The denim on the bottom was made that way - embellished with tiny metal studs. I bought the denim in November, 2006, when we went to Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Fabric there was very inexpensive... at that time, anyway. 

Hopefully, my line dance instructor, and my hair stylist will make good use of these. 

Next, I sewed these Half Zip Fabric Wallets, following a YouTube tutorial by Sewing Times. 

Instructions are free, and the video is nicely-done, but no where could I find which measurement was vertical and which was horizontal - essential information when making this wallet from a directional print like those Tula Pink elephants. I had to stop the video and use a ruler against the computer screen to determine which measurement was which. I also asked the question in the comments, and though Nancy (of Sewing Times) replied, at that point I had already finished making the wallets. So, if you make a wallet, check comments to verify measurements! You can thank me later. ๐Ÿ˜

I was happy to finish each wallet with a little charm, found at Hobby Lobby. 

After making wallets, I made a 10½" W X 8" H purse organizer to coordinate with the elephant print wallet. This Purse Organizer pattern is also by Sotak Patterns. The mesh pockets are sized to hold a cell phone.

Since I didn't have a snap the pattern called for, I made a buttonhole and sewed a clear button in that spot. 

The organizer and wallet makes a useable combo. 

Lastly, I made six Bowl Buddies - AKA Bowl Cozies. I couldn't find the original pattern I followed when first making these in 2013. So I made a version that's a combo of YouTube videos. I also wrote-up a little description of what a bowl buddy is and how to use it... so people who opened the gift when I wasn't around, would know what to do with it! 

I thought it was appropriate to send the Florida fabric bowl buddy to my virtual Bible study leader in Iowa. The bowl buddy made with peace symbol print fabric went to my "Peace, Love and Ukulele Club" leader, Mary. 

In 2021, I made Mary a ukulele pillow. Blogged here. Mary recently sent me a picture of ukuleles she and her husband have hanging in their music room, and I love seeing how they've displayed the ukulele pillow - the colorful one in the middle.  

My favorite part of giving presents, especially quilts, is seeing gifted items in action, used - and hopefully loved - by the recipient.
Book Recommendations
The Bodyguard by Katherine Center, is a story about a female bodyguard, Hannah, who has just been, unexpectedly, dumped by her boyfriend/co-worker. She wants to prove herself worthy of a new, overseas job assignment. Her boss makes is clear that he'll be watching her on the next assignment, to see if she's capable. 

That assignment is more than she expected. She's taking the lead on a job to safeguard a famous actor, Jack. He's handsome, and rugged-looking, and has been stalked by an overzealous fan who wants to have his baby. Jack's back in Texas to be with his mom who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Though Jack's brother doesn't want him back on the family ranch, Jack wants to do what his parents want. 

Hannah, after overcoming her awkwardness in the presence of such a handsome celebrity, reluctantly gets takes her assignment a step further when she agrees to pose as Jack's girlfriend so neither of his parents know that Jack needs a bodyguard.

This book is sweetly charming, and infused with light-hearted humor.

Linda's score: 3.9/5.0

Heather Gudenkauf is an Iowa author I totally admire, and follow on Instagram @heathergudenkauf. When Heather posts about a book recommendation, I usually follow through. The Push, by Ashley Audrain is one of those titles.

This psychological thriller is about Blythe. She's the third generation daughter of women with mental/psychological problems, particularly no understanding of how to be a loving mother. So when Blythe meets Fox, falls in love, and marries, she wonders how she will be as a mother. 

Their firstborn is Violet, who even as a newborn, tests Blythe's mothering capabilities. Blythe questions herself, but tries her best. Does Violet hate her? When baby Sam comes along, their lives settle into a more comfortable routine, the four of them a happy family. And yet, Blythe continues to detect something unusual in Violet. But then, isn't it Blythe who has difficulties being a mother? 

Though it took me a little bit to get into this story - I couldn't understand why I was witness to Blythe watching a house and the Christmas activities of a family of four that included her daughter. Then the story seemed to be all about pregnancy, giving birth, and having a newborn. But as I continued, I began to see what Blythe saw, and couldn't stop listening. This author reeled me in! 

Linda's score: 4.3/5.0

Recently my Texas friend, Patty, sent me a link to an article called Your Artistic Passion Has Purpose. The author states that human creativity takes many forms, and it's all God-given. When we create, we exemplify the character of Christ. I've never thought that way about what I make, and that the quality I put into my creations is a reflection of Christ in me. This has me thinking a little differently about making, and wanting to make the best I can.


Remembering why we celebrate Christmas, I wish you each a blessed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. May God's love-gift of Jesus change your heart. Linda

14 comments:

  1. Love seeing all your handmade gifts. What fun base fabric for your project bags. And yay for bowl cozies. Hubby and I have a pair we use all the time, and I recently made a larger pair for new bowls in our kitchen. Merry Christmas, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love each of these, especially those first two bags. Love the fabric and the handles. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the craft ideas AND the book recommendations! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed seeing your creations! Especially the elephant wallet, I love her fabric. We are having a wet day and tomorrow in low 50s for Christmas. I hope you have a great Christmas ๐ŸŽ„, stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think it's fun to see what makers make for others as gifts. Though I'm not especially fond of Tula Pink fabrics, this elephant print was perfect for someone special. Our Christmas was a quiet two-some. Temps were in the mid-60s, but rainy, so the day was rather gloomy. I hunkered in my sewing room and accomplished a lot.

      Delete
  5. Cute on the go bags, with great memories of Dubai! That uke pillow had me fooled--looks like the real thing hanging on the wall! Merry Christmas, Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your projects and I've also enjoyed all your book recommendations over the year too. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bag stitching fun and great gifts! I like that half-zip and glad you got the measurements answered. Artistic Passion has a Purpose- good to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been quite busy with lots of small projects. The pillow on the wall with your friends actual ukuleles is really clever. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. I just love that King sized bed meme. So perfect. PS Don't know why but I'm not getting your email notifications when you blog even though I resubscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, It's Elizabeth of OPQuilt.com. (Don't know why Blogger is being fussy about my ID, but there you go.)
    Congratulations on finishing your Mystery quilt. I, too, found some of the proportions a bit strange, so I added more blocks to make it more what I wanted. I really enjoyed seeing your quilting, that absolutely fabulous back -- the quilt is a winner! Thanks for the book recommendations--as always, you are a great resource. Happy New Year, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda,
    I loved seeing all your creative and well thought out gifts for those dear to you. What a gift from your heart. Best wishes for a year ahead filled with love, happiness and good health.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can I not be anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been very busy! They all look fabulous, and the first bags are my especial favourites. That denim with the studs is such a cool pop of interest. I'm sure everyone loved their gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I WAS busy, very early in November! Everyone around here seems to travel for Christmas, so recognitions of club leaders (volunteers) and parties happen early in December. For me, celebrations were completely over by December 12! Anyway, I enjoy planning, making, and wrapping gifts to give by December 1. Heard from one "On-the-Go Project" bag recipient (a non-sewist) who said she will use hers to take a book to doc appointments, and when she travels. Didn't hear from the other recipient, but I'm sure she'll like it. Also, a couple people thanked me for their Bowl Buddy, and I appreciate that they'll use it. I even offered to make a second one if they want, or if/when the first one wears out. Always happy to sew for a friend. Thanks for commenting, Rachel!

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin