Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Fun Stuff and IG Wins

Right after Christmas our kids and grandies are coming to visit! This will be their first time here over the holidays, since we moved in 9½ years ago. We're pretty excited about them coming - four boys between the ages of 7 and 12 for six days? How chaotic could it be?! 

This also means that, for the first time since moving to Florida, we're putting up Christmas decorations! Recalling exactly where everything went in our Iowa home, I've had some challenges finding places to put things. The focal point - the tree - is this six foot-tall artificial bamboo tree in our chat corner.

We've never owned an artificial Christmas tree, and decided not to invest in one this year. For one thing, they're expensive, and for another, it goes against traditional to have anything but a real evergreen tree.

So maybe this bamboo tree looks a little hokey, but it works because it holds many special ornaments, and is alongside a favorite counted cross-stitch nutcracker, and a 24"-tall kneeling Santa. 

Our kids fondly refer to him as "touchdown Santa." 

Sewing-wise, I finished making a total of seven Inside Outside Pouches and Boxy Clear Pouches. They're wrapped and ready for gifting. 

Last weekend I also made a ukulele pillow for my "Peace, Love, and Ukulele Club" leader. I posed it with my own ukulele. Did you know ukuleles come in four sizes? Mine is a concert; the pillow is a soprano. 

I used a dotted fabric to make the bridge (at the bottom of the strings). Strings are a strand of cotton string that's been satin-stitched with light gray-colored thread.

The top tuning pegs are buttons. 

I intentionally positioned this colorful peace symbol in the center back, and you can see where I added my label (with my name and FlourishingPalms).

The big difference between the pillow I made and the free pattern from Sew4Home is that I made my version with box edges, rather than a knife edge. Mary, after unwrapping it.


In other fun news... If you're an Instagrammer, you've surely noticed that a number of companies and small businesses have been hosting giveaways - "12 Days of Christmas" sort of things. I enter most of them, as do many of my Instagram friends. 

What a surprise to learn this week that I won two of them! 

 One prize is a set of square-in-a-square paper packs and the Geneva quilt pattern from Erica Arndt

The second prize is even bigger - $100 worth of products, of my choice, from Bethanne Nemesh of White Arbor Quilting, who is also a quilting instructor (!). Her quilting style is very decorative, and feathery. Bethanne told me she had more than 900 entries in her contest.

I'm choosing four of Bethanne's quilting rulers. Because my Illinois friend Michelle @bacontheneggs and I tagged each other for the giveaway, Michelle also wins a set of Bethanne's quilting rulers. Some prizes, huh?!

Audiobook listening hasn't gone smoothly. I listened to at least a third of The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue before returning it. Too sci-fi, and unbelievable with part I flat-out didn't like. But I'm into a good one now. 

Also, I'm third in line to listen to the newest Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon - Go Tell the Bees that I'm Gone - the ninth title in the Outlander series. If you haven't yet read Outlander, you're missing out on reading the best book of the century! Diana's latest book, read by the fabulous Davina Porter, is 49½ hours of listening! Wowsa! I'm fearful my library turn will come up while family is visiting. Even if I am able to listen, can I do 49½ hours of listening during the 20-day checkout period?! 

Outdoors, our weather has been looking less than December-ish. In fact, it's been gorgeous - perfect temps and low humidity. When I was power-walking Sunday afternoon, absorbed in an audiobook and looking down, I nearly stepped on this guy! He's a pretty ugly Florida soft-shell turtle. Only a mother could love it. 

But, our scenery is beautiful! The flowers have been especially showy in the round-abouts.


I love December in Florida!
Linda

12 comments:

  1. How exciting having family coming to stay, I'm sure you will all have a great time together, if not rather noisy with four boys! Congratulations on your win, and your ukelele cushion is so clever, such a lot of work, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to read your family news! It will be a Merry Christmas indeed! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be a very special Christmas then, with family around. Love your bamboo Christmas tree! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are having a Merry December!! Such fun news......

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Tis the season! You've made it very festive for your family. What a treat to have them coming. The pillow is just great and fabrics so appropriate. I'm sure your leader loves it. Do hope the timing of your audio book comes after their visit- that's a lot of listening time. That turtle is one of the less appealing looking ones for sure. Hope she made it back to the pond ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressed with your ukelele pillow - what a fun and perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your pillow is just amazing with all the little details that make it special. Your tree reminds me of a time when I was a kid and we spent Christmas in Florida. We decorated a little tree that was in the rental house with some tinsel and lights. It sure felt different to have Christmas in a warm climate. Hope you have the best time ever with the family all together and that your warm weather holds for their visit. Merry Christmas Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a wonderful gift and some awesome prize wins, Linda!! I think your holiday decorations are perfect for your Florida home. Enjoy your guests!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your ukulele pillow! What a fun and special gift. Enjoy the time with your grandboys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to have all 4 boys come to visit. It'll be hectic but just put up with the mess and chaos. They won't be there long. My sister and I decided years ago we would be Grandmothers like that, and not worry about dirty fingers on the windows etc, cause our Mother made life hard by trying to keep the grandies off things. How lucky are you to win those gifts. You seem to win lots. I was looking at the ukulele cushion, thinking it was a real one with a cover over it. haha! You are so clever, even to think of making such a thing. Happy Christmas to you and your family ...hugs from New Zealand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have exciting things going on, with family visiting and winning those IG giveaways! I know about those Florida Decembers - my daughter loved them when she was there. We are chilly and just a bit snowy here. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your ukuele cushion and congrats on the winnings.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin