Monday, July 31, 2023

July, a "Flourishing" Month

Whoo-hoo! There's happy dancing going on here. In July I hit my fifth consecutive month of more fabric used-up than taken in.

And what great output, right? (Back-patting going on here.) Fabrics were used to:

1) face my improv quilt - Alternate Route.

2) complete piecing my Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong quilt top. Though we're not supposed to share pictures until September 1, here's my sneaky peek. 

3) make my maximalist quilt top. At this point, those small circles are only pinned to the quilt top. 

I made 58 circles in three sizes using Applipops. A few years ago, I purchased Applipops from The Craft Table in Orlando. I use them a lot!

The medicine bottle contains liquid starch that I "paint" on the raw edges of the circle before pressing. 

I backed each fabric circle with a piece of batting. My plan is to hand-appliqué these to the quilt top when the machine quilting is finished. 

4) piece a backing using four-yards of 42"-wide Andover print (2015) called "Wound Up," by Libs Elliott. It seems "made just for" backing my maximalist quilt. 

I always put new fabric into my stash shelves only after it's been washed, so this piece was pretty wrinkled when I pulled it out. I grabbed the can of Quilting & Crafting Fabric Fresh (manufactured by Faultless) that I'd won in an Instagram giveaway in March (National Quilting Month) from Missouri Star Quilt Co. (The spray was sent to me with a wool pressing mat and that Oliso iron, which I love!)

Anyway, that Fabric Fresh spray is pretty amazing! I sprayed the whole four yards, started pressing, and the wrinkles practically melted away. I'm impressed, and want to recommend it. (No sponsorship; just my opinion.) I think it removes wrinkles better than Flatter.

I looked for Quilting & Crafting Fabric Fresh on both the Hobby Lobby website (we're getting a retail store here soon - hooray!) and JoAnn's. No dice.

Back to yippee-ing... 

In July I used 15.34 yards of fabric! And I didn't buy any! Though it was a close call!

In July we drove to Kansas City to visit family, and as always we spent an overnight getting there. This time we stayed in Paducah! Y'all know what's there, right? Hancock's of Paducah. Guess it was fortuitous that we arrived at our hotel at 4:45, and the store closed at 5 pm.
😌

August looks hopeful for using-up more fabric as I am again participating in the 30 Days of Improv QAL (quilt along). 

Shannon @shannonfraserdesigns and Amanda @broadclothstudio are the hosts, and have led this month-long activity for a few years.

In 2022 I participated for the first time. That's when I pieced Harborage, the first quilt I had accepted in the improv category at QuiltCon (2023). It was purchased at QC by a woman named Shannon (not Shannon Fraser). 

Below are the fabrics I'm using for this year's QAL Except for three Painter's Palette solids, all the fabrics came from QuiltCon in Atlanta. The polka-dot fat quarter was in my QC swag bag, and prompted my vendor purchases of Kantha charm squares, linens, and Oakshott cotton.

Shannon and Amanda send an email each Sunday with the follow week's prompt(s). This week we're to make improv blocks that are "stripes, and rectangles." I can't wait to start cutting! I'll use a rotary cutter only (no rulers). 

It's not too late to join-in! Go here to get on the email list. Then Google "30 days of improv qal 2023" to read posts about getting started. 

Book Recommendation
Demon Copperhead,
written by Barbara Kingsolver, was published in 2022, and I still had to wait for my turn to check it out from our public library. It was worth the wait.

Demon (neé Damian) was born in Lee County - Appalachia - Virginia to a teenaged, druggie mom. Raised in a mobile home, he shared his childhood with his neighbor and friend, Mackie, until his mom's death from an overdose. Though in the care of the DSS, each of Demon's foster families used him. The kid just couldn't get any breaks. Yet when he was taken in by the high school football coach, it seemed his talents on the field, and future looked bright, until he was injured. 

This book makes a statement about our culture, social services, and growing up in poverty. Though it took 21 hours to listen to this book, it's the most captivating and insightful listening I've experienced this year.

Linda's score: 4.7/5.0

I listened to nine books this month! That's indicative of how much time I have spent in my sewing room. Lots! Linda

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on using fifteen plus yards of fabric from your stash! I enjoy following your progress on your projects and your book reviews. I just finished listening to "Horse" by Geraldine Brooks was a great recommendation. Thanks!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry! I appreciate your congratulations because... well... this is a big deal for me. I've never used-up so much yardage in one month, and am feeling pretty good about it. Thanks so much for following along on my quiltmaking efforts, and for reading my book reviews. I'm happy you read "Horse"! It was good, wasn't it? Enlightening too, if you're not familiar with the racing world, as I was not. Anyway, you are most welcome. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. You are doing great on fabric output! I would have wanted to hit Hancocks in the morning 🤣! The hard part for me is resisting Tula Pink and great sale prices. They almost leap into my cart on their own. Your new colors are gorgeous 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela! Thank you for saying so about fabric output. I'm feeling pretty chuffed about it (as my Aussie friends would say). Of course it would have been nice to visit Hancock's, but the next morning wasn't even doable as we were on the road by 7 am. That's the nature of trips to visit family - go, go, go, until you get there. I am not a fan of Tula Pink fabrics, so that wouldn't have been my downfall, but I sure would have been checking out solids, and perhaps graphic prints. Guess I don't have a favorite designer, and that's a good thing. Thanks for liking what I chose for the 30 Days of Improv QAL. I've been imagining what the stripes will look like together, and I already love them!

      Delete
    2. That spray is 7.24 at fat quarter shop and 7.99 at Walmart.com and Missouri Star 👍. I hadn’t heard of it before. I always prewash my fabric too and enjoy the starch appliqué method of needle turn. Not all the prep work but the appliqué is so much faster 🥰

      Delete
    3. Yes, I found the fabric fresh spray online. My problem is that I don't generally order stuff online (unless necessary), and I'm not keen on having anything aerosol sent to me here in Florida. I'm always cognizant of the heat. In fact, I know that the heat is the reason my local (very small) quilt shop doesn't carry 505 basting spray.

      Sure understand about liking to turn-under appliqué edges with starch, though I only use the starch when making circles. Otherwise, I prefer the back-basted method of appliqué and don't need to use starch. I'm glad we have so many different options for our different personalities.

      Delete
  3. You're down to the fine details on some of your projects now- a productive summer. I like the fabrics you've choses for your next QAL. Let us know if you find a source for that starch product. It's got to be somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect backing fabric! All your projects are looking so good. I'm thinking about the 30 day improv too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for your fabric usage numbers - you did way better than me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you using that stash up. I've been doing the same and managed to use a lot of my oldest stash on a recent queen size quilt backing. That used several yards. I sure wish someday our KC trips would sync up but we always end up there in the spring. Love the idea of your circles being applied after quilting and with batting. Sounds very dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda. I always love reading your blog and your book recommendations. Question. What do you use to form your circles before you "paint" the edges with liquid starch. BTW, I like that stuff too. Dar in MO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I really like the circles on your improv piece! what a fun project.
    Did you go to the quilt museum in Paducah?
    great job on your fabric usage!
    I am a non-washer, but I admire your process

    ReplyDelete
  9. 9 books?! Wow. I really love your book reviews and add the good ones to my Goodreads account list. Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Unknown! Indeed, nine books in July, for a total of 54 books thus far in 2023. It's probably apparent that audiobook-listening is my entertainment when sewing/quilting, doing housework (especially folding laundry), and power-walking outdoors. Thank you so much for saying you like my book reviews! I've been told by a number of people that Goodreads is the place to keep track of books, so I'm glad you're using it. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks! They made my day.

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin