Thursday, July 13, 2023

Quiltalong, and Scrappy or Maximalism?

While I continue to add big stitch hand quilting to my improv quilt, and should have a finish soon, I've spent most of my sewing room time cutting and piecing. 

Keeping up with Weeks and Bill's "Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong," I completed 24 blocks for Installment 5. Instructions called for making 23 blocks, but I've occasionally been making a few extra, thinking I will have more options for arranging the design - when we finally learn what it is! - and also for piecing a quilt back. 

As before, Installment 5 block choices were based on my preferences for: running through the sprinkler; sailboating; boogie boarding; swimming in a pool; and using sunscreen! Though the block designs have nothing to do with the activity and are just random names given by Weeks and Bill, sometimes a block looks like its name. For example, the fourth row of five block is "swimming pool." Am I not the only one who can see that? 

Most of my sewing efforts have been focused on making half-rectangle triangle (HRT) blocks with my new HuRTy ruler, and playing around with possible layouts.

Using a big pile of 4" Drunkard's Path blocks, and triangle-in-a-square blocks I made back in 2018, and never found a way to use in a quilt, I've been trying to incorporate them into a design with HRTs.

You might have noticed that my first decision was to make every HRT with a striped fabric and a solid. 

Initially, I was thinking to make a scrappy quilt. But as you do, playing around with designs and seeing different possibilities every day, I found myself heading another way.

Intentionally making "Side A" and "Side B" (reversed) HRTs blocks, so as to give more variety in shapes, one of my latest design iterations has me thinking the design looks more like what I think a maximalist quilt looks like. 

One aim of a maximalist quilt is to achieve "more is more." So I've dug further into stash to unearth more striped prints in every color and scale, and a bigger variety of solid colors. With a new intention of aiming for maximalism, I'm also aiming to make a quilt that's at least 60" X 72". 

You know what I'll be doing for a while! 😊 Then... I see appliqué.

Book Recommendation
I enjoy all books written by my favorite Iowa author - Heather Gudenkauf. Though These Hidden Things was published in 2011, Heather's writing style is consistently good. Her stories take place in Iowa, though most of the locations are in towns with made-up names, except for an occasional mentions of major cities like Iowa City or Des Moines.

In These Hidden Things, after serving five years in prison, Allison has just been released. She moves into a halfway house and anticipates beginning a new life, Neither her parents or her younger sister, Brynn, will talk to her, but Allison is determined to get a job and take care of herself.

She begins working at a nearby book store, and is almost-immediately confronted with past actions, and the crime for which she served time. Because of that, she's even more desperate to get Brynn to meet with her. 

Meanwhile, another young woman is regularly visiting the book store to keep tabs on the shop-owner's young son. She knows more about what Allison's did than anyone else, and she won't reveal any of it... until she's forced to.

Linda's score: 4.1/5.0

Last Christmas I gifted my friend Jody one of my homemade travel trays. This week she sent me a picture of her travel tray being used during a family get-away. Jody wrote "My grand-littles decided it was the perfect sleeping bed for Luigi!'

Too adorable. I love it! Linda

10 comments:

  1. I love your first Hurty design, Linda!!! It looks like it didn't make the final cut. Doesn't matter though with your fab maxi design you have going there! Cute photo of Luigi in "bed"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like with your maximalism quilt is headed. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do I "see" the swimming pool blocks, but Row 2 looks like "Sunblock" to me with that barrier strip between the two triangles! Ha, ha. I'm liking all the stripes and your maximalism quilt. That looks like fun. Luigi looks so comfy on vacation with his own bed. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see all the colors and shapes come together so nicely. It looks great and like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love his little bed 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children can be so imaginative. :-) I appreciate that Jody thought to take a picture to share with me.

      Delete
  6. I love the use of stripes in your HRT. It reminds me of nautical flags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the maximal design so far--looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute little bed. The quilt is looking interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! It IS a cute bed, isn't it? Kids are so imaginative. And, I'm glad you think my quilt is "interesting." I'm finding it a whole lotta fun to make!

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin