Friday, August 4, 2023

QAL, 30 Days of Improv

Continuing to work on my "Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong," led by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, the husband and wife team of @modernquiltstudio, I put my completed quilt top on-point (the layout I chose), trimmed the sides and did a "victory lap" (so-called by Christa Watson) of straight stay-stitching around the perimeter because the edges are all bias. Ugh. I'm not particularly pleased with the way I trimmed it because the top is not on-the-square. After quilting, I'll have some pretty challenging squaring-up to do.

A couple days ago, Weeks and Bill posted this to Instagram and I found it thought-provoking. It lists six steps in the emotional process of a creator. For me, this pretty-much spells out my typical responses to creating improvisationally. Does this resonate with you too? 

What it comes down to is perseverance. Keep going, even when you hit a roadblock.

Speaking of improv... I've completed my first week of #30daysofimprovqal with Shannon and Amanda.

Though this week's prompt was "stripes," I haven't neglected the overarching theme: scraps. Not surprisingly, I made larger and more blocks than their suggested guidelines.
Prompts are:
  • Week 1 - Stripes/Rectangles
  • Week 2 - L shapes
  • Week 3 - Triangles
  • Week 4 - Curves
  • Week 5 - putting it all together
Tuesday evening was the monthly meetings of our local, mostly traditional, quilt guild. I seldom attend but I did this time because our guest speaker was Christa Watson of Las Vegas, Nevada. Christa and I have known one another for about nine years. In 2015, I helped promote her book Machine Quilting With Style by making the "Candy Pop" quilt in the book, and offering a book giveaway on my blog

It was nice to see Christa, and again hear about her domestic machine quilting process, much of which is similar to what I teach in my own domestic machine quilting workshops. The event was well-attended by about 250 quilters.

Book Recommendation
It's been decades since I read a Stephen King book, so I thought, "Why not?"

Billy Summers is about Billy Summers whose career has been as a hit man. However, Billy isn't your typical bad guy because he only kills people who are bad - they deserve to be killed.

Billy's career path began when he was a kid, and developed when he became a sharp-shooter during deployments to Afghanistan. Now he has decided that the hit next job will be his last. With a $500,000K down payment, and the promise of $1.5M when the job's done, what does he have to lose? The reader follows Billy through his fake identity as a writer living in a lower middle-class neighborhood where he revives the lawn at his house, and makes friends. After months of planning, including a post-killing escape to yet another fabricated life, his plans are interrupted by a 21 year-old woman whose life he saves. 

While I enjoyed the book, and marvel at Mr. King's thought processes to develop such an intricate chain of events, I did not care for the insertion of his negative presidential jabs that he must assume are held by all his readers. Those ruined the book for me.

Linda's score: 3.5/5.0. 

Quordle and my first-guess word "trial"
Like many of you, ever since Wordle hit cyberspace and achieved instant popularity, I've been playing daily word games on my iPhone.

In addition to Wordle, for the past year I've been also playing Quordle. It's Wordle times four... you simultaneously try to guess four words.

This week I was shocked when the first word I typed, "trial," was correct! On the first guess! It's unlikely this will ever happen to me again, so I had to document it.

I'll add that I don't use the same starting word every day. Though when I can't come up with a word, I fall back on "aisle." 

Linda

6 comments:

  1. 30 days of improv looks like a great way to use up a lot of leftover bits and pieces! I think those stages of creativity probably apply to every quilt I've made, though my fourth (4a) stage might be "look at the thoughts of a favorite quilter in their design process and 'try' to do likewise." Though that probably defeats the whole purpose of "improvisation." Thankfully I've been able to avoid all the word games online. There are not enough free minutes in my day (were there ever?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a Wordle person - very fun. I'm glad you got to hear christa speak and I hope there was an opportunity for you and her to chat for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying 30 days of improv, and thanks for posting the upcoming prompts, as I apparently missed them! And yay for Wordle. I play it every day and have been enjoying the new beta 'Connections' also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, I did this last year after seeing that you were doing it. I liked my product, but I quickly departed from her suggestions, so I'm not doing it this year. I enjoy seeing yours, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stages of improv quilting list. It applies to all quilting I think. I was just telling my husband of wanting to jump on ideas only to have the feeling of satisfaction fade as I work on a quilt top because I'm already eager to move on to something else that has inspired me. I call it the creativity curse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always begin my day with Wordle. We had limited wifi minutes on the ship and I used mine each day for Wordle. :) I admire that you are doing the improv. I don't think I would ever be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin