Sunday, February 19, 2023

Crossroads Quilt

This 43" X 55" baby quilt, for the great-nephew/niece who's due in June, is done. It's my adaptation of a Crossroads Quilts I saw on Instagram. I used as many novelty and "I Spy" type prints in this as my dwindling kid-print stash allowed.
Crossroads Quilt, 43" X 55"
 
There are lotsa "things" to find in this quilt, so I expect it might be stimulating into toddlerhood. 


The quilt back is pieced with the largest novelty print "chunks" I could come up with. 

Because Crossroads is a pattern, and I haven't made a quilt from a pattern for a very long time, it seemed easy and relatively quick make. With an all-over snail trail quilting design that didn't need many stops and starts, and therefore thread-burying, I merrily free motion quilted on my Bernina 770QE.

Now I'll tuck the quilt away until I have baby details to record on a quilt label. 

Book Recommendations
Every Last One
by Anna Quindlen was a difficult book to read. While I don't want to give it all away by telling you why, I have to say that the story is about losing, by murder, one's closest family members. 

The story begins typically enough with a mom, dad, and three kids - two of whom are twin brothers with personalities as different as night and day. When first listening, I felt like I was in a world that sounded very familiar - about kids interacting with friends, doing schoolwork, bickering among siblings, parents being taxi-drivers and disciplinarians. That was very relatable, reminding me of when my husband and I both worked and raised two teenaged children.

The story's beginning was almost boring, setting the scene for - missing that the intense behavioral response of one teen's friend led to an event that changed the mom's life. While I don't doubt that this is reality for some people, I found it depressing to read about.

Linda's score: 3.4/5.0 

Oh how I love a well-written book by a favorite author! I picked up The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths because Ms. Griffiths authored a favorite series I completed last year - "Ruth Galloway series," If you like a good who-done-it that takes place in Brighton, UK, then this is the book for you.

Claire is an English teacher in the English department of a moderately-sized school. She's divorced, and her 15 year-old daughter Georgie lives with her. Claire's friend, also an English teacher at the same school, is found stabbed to death, with a note quoting a line from a short story: "The Stranger" by R.M. Holland. What's happening in real life, and the story in the book are too similar, and scary. Claire happens to be writing a book about Holland, and therefore becomes more embroiled in the investigation than she wants.

I enjoy that Griffiths first relates what's happening from Claire's perspective, and later relates the same happenings from the perspective of the detective assigned to the case... and then Georgie's teenaged perspective is woven into the story. Add a little bit of "I bet he did it" and "I bet she did it" and you have an engaging tale that will keep you guessing until the end. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

Most recently I've been listening to Lutheran Church of Hope podcasts from the every-Wednesday "Pastor Mike Drop" program. Hope is doing "The Whole Holy Bible in a Year," and the Wednesday reviews of the weekly readings by different Hope pastors are great! Go here if you'd like to check them out. 

At the moment, I'm deep into QuiltCon prep. Of course, I decided I needed to make a new shoulder bag to efficiently carry around everything I need! Now I'm trying to pull stuff together, leaving clothes-packing until the day before departure. Sounds about right, doesn't it? Linda

12 comments:

  1. I always enjoy making baby quilts, your one is lovely. I'm sure I've made that pattern before, or certainly a variation of it, nice and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt! It's always fun to see what people are reading and listening too - I've just added Stranger Diaries to my list to read, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel, for your compliment on the quilt. And I'm pleased to know you've added "The Stranger Diaries" to your reading list. I think you'll enjoy it. You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Great baby quilt, and it's a perfect pattern for an I-spy quilt. I made a large version of that pattern a few years back for my oldest grandson. Have fun at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (It’s me, Elizabeth). I loved reading about this quilt, and think it’s perfect for a young boy! I, too, have a dwindling stash of kid novelties, so I understood the challenge. Thanks for the book reviews. I needed a new series, so this is timely. I also want to see your new bag! You teased us! Have a blast at QuiltCon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is Marie. I love the “Crossroad” quilt you just finished. It looks like gift boxes seen from above. It will be captivating for the baby! Wishing you a nice trip to Quiltcon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for getting the baby quilt all done before baby comes. And yay for using all those novelty prints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just wanted to drop by and actually comment - to let you know I love reading your posts and seeing what you are working on. Your FMQ on the iSpy quilt is lovely and smooth. Also love the book reviews - I am always looking for the next thing to read or listen to while sewing. Finally - from a previous post - you're nearly famous! Yahoo for having your quilt on the graphic. That is so fun. I would print it and keep in on my wall or something. :-)
    Have a great to QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift for a little one. I always enjoy seeing what you are making. I like the book recommendations as well and will look for the Griffiths books. I seem to be listening a lot lately. One of my favorite authors is coming to our local library, so I plan to attend. As always, thanks for sharing. It is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun baby quilt. Lots to see there that should keep a toddler busy. I need to get back to my second I-Spy quilt. The blocks are made but I think I'll make it bigger than the first one so may need a few more blocks. I'm about 2/3 way through the Ruth Galloway series. Really enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delightful version of the 'crossroads' quilt! Loving all the eye spy details.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Crossroads quilt Linda, I bought the pattern a couple of years ago and hope to make a start later in the year.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin