Friday, March 26, 2021

Quilting Circles

The entire focus of sewing time has been on my Central Florida MQG Scrap Challenge quilt that's due to be shared at our Saturday, April 17 outdoor meeting at a local park. 

This is the 71" x 80" quilt top. 

Last weekend was spent machine quilting.

I spiral-quilted the 14 scrap-pieced inset circles by walking foot quilting along the outside edge of the circle, spiraling to the inside. When the space remaining to be quilted inside the circle was about 4" to 5" - because the interior of the circle was too tight for a walking foot - I used an air-erasable marker to free-hand draw the remaining spiral that I free motion quilted after switching to a quilting foot. 



When the scrappy circles were quilted, I quilted the inside and outside of each of the seven inset rings.

Then I used a Hera marker and these nested acrylic circles to draw different-sized randomly-placed double rings (one inch between each ring) across the entire quilt - mimicking the quilting around the rings. These were walking foot quiltedwith white thread.

The machine-quilted rings can be seen here, on either side of the pieced ring.

Now I'm big stitch hand quilting, again using a Hera marker and an acrylic circle to draw different sized circles to quilt with one of nine colors of size 8 pearl cotton.

I'm lovin' the effect! The design, with all that negative space, seemed empty before. Big stitched circles add more interest and dimension. I'll keep going until I think I've quilted enough. 

Circles are quick to stitch when the length of each stitch is ⅜" to ½". 

I'd thought to use black and white striped binding to finish the quilt, but a friend (Judi @willwork4fabric) pointed out that black fabric with white circles would be more appropriate. I found these at my LQS, Sew Together. Now to decide which looks best. 

While the dot fabrics were being cut, I spied two wide-back bolts that had just arrived. Two yards of each of these came home with me because I'm out of wide backs. Darn, but I wish I'd had that circle print, on the right, to use as backing on this circles quilt! It would have been too perfect.

Book Recommendations
You can tell it's been nearly a week since I posted because I have three books to recommend! All three were pleasant entertainment. With the first two titles, you'll think I've been on an Australia kick, as they both take place there and are narrated with the best Aussie accents!

I have listened to other books by Sally Hepworth, and like those, The Family Next Door is one that keeps the reader guessing. The story is about several families who live on the same street in a Melbourne suburb. Readers get to know three women in particular - one who is happily married, but has struggled with postpartum depression; one who is happily married, but has a big secret; and one who has recently moved into the neighborhood, and is suspiciously single. Stories revolve around infidelity, raising babies, and the angst of infant abduction. I didn't see some of it coming, and some of it I did. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0


The Shepherd's Hut by Tim Winton is crude and simultaneously, interesting. Jaxson is a teenage who's lived a hard life with an abusive father. Upon finding his father dead, Jaxie flees on foot, entering desolate and threatening land in Western Australia. But he wants to be far away from people. When alone, he often thinks of Lee, the love he vows to return to. In the meantime, he fends for himself, hunting emu and 'roo in a rugged and unforgiving environment... until he encounters another man who's more alone and isolated than Jaxie. 

My big forewarning about this book is language! Jaxie swears. A lot, and frequently. And he uses Australian slang. Having been to Australia myself, I came home with my own "dictionary" of Australian lingo - like "arvo" means afternoon; and "bitumen" is a road. But Jaxie's narration had me stumped a few times. I had to look up words like "manky" which means dirty or filthy. But most of the slang can be intuited by context.

I'd call this book raw. But it's also insightful. If you can get past the language, it would be a good one for discussion.

Linda's score: 4.4/5.0

The Glass Forest by Cynthia Swanson takes place in the US. 

Angie and Paul Glass are recently married and living with their infant son in Door County, Wisconsin. When Paul's brother Henry, in Stonekill, New York is found dead (an apparent suicide) and Henry's wife Sijla is missing, Paul and Angie fly to New York to help 17 year-old Ruby through the devastation of being parentless. While staying in the Glass family's ultra-modern home at the edge of the woods, Angie makes discoveries about the Glass boys - including her own husband! - that have been kept quiet. And Angie learns that Ruby knows more than she's letting on. 

Given that the story takes place from the 1940s to 1960, it includes: the audaciousness of a career woman; being suspicious of everyone because they might be a communist; building a bomb shelter; and smoking on an airplane in a movie theater.
 
Linda's 4.0/5.0

While Face Timing with Texas grandsons last week, I got to watch Max the dog loving-up our youngest grandson, Luke. Don't they look sweet together?

I've gotten out of the house a little more this past week - going line dancing; golf-carting to a specialty store for much-needed clothing; and visiting my LQS - and have continued to take "refuge" (my 2021 word of the year) in devotions, and Sunday morning online worship with Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines, Iowa.

I'm noticing that churches are welcoming its members back into their sanctuaries for in-person worship. Although we've attended 14 different churches through the 8½ years we've lived here, we haven't found a local church to call home. So, I'll keep attending online, and appreciate this pretty, spirit-filling Sunday morning view. 

It's particularly appropriate that Sunday morning is Palm Sunday. I've got palm fronds! Linda

14 comments:

  1. oh I love where you've taken this - both the 'extra' machine-quilted circles AND the hand-quilting. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt - am a huge fan of random circles and I love the effect of the hand-stitched circles, what a super idea! They sound like great books too, exactly 'my cup of tea' as we say in New Zealand and I'm pretty familiar with all that Aussie slang - I often use the word 'manky'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had made this I'd be calling it Spiraling out of Control, however you have everything well under control and looking beautiful! What great vision to "see" what those hand quilted circles on the white background would do to elevate this quilt to spectacular! I'd like to know where you got those nested acrylic circles, they look like they would be fun to use. You're fortunate to be able to see hera markings under the sewing machine lights, they are virtually invisible when I've tried to use mine, except for hand quilting on solid fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those circles are very appealing, and I like what you are doing for the quilting. Haven't heard of any of those books, so thanks for the recommendations. Dogs and kids just seem to go together, don't they? That's a keeper of a photo. If we don't go to our local church, we cath Creekside Evangelical Free church in Gainesville (our daughter used to attend there while she was in Florida) and enjoy their services.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your circles quilt is gorgeous. Everything from circle scraps to placement, quilting, big stitch quilting, color, multi color strips - just perfect! Your acrylic circles are great - recommendation? I always enjoy your book reviews and like you, listen to many books while quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andee! Thank you so much for your lovely comment. Did you know that you're a "no-reply commenter"? That means I can't email you a response, so I hope you see this!

      I really appreciate all the positive things you've said about what I'm doing with this quilt. That means a lot to me! I'm so excited to see it finished, and get a good look at the overall design.

      As for nested circles... I've used them for at least 15 years. I started with thin ones - about 1/8” thick. I broke one, so I bought another set, opting for the 1/4” thick ones, thinking I’d use them for ruler quilting too. However, I’ve learned that it’s not easy to hang onto a circle to guide it for quilting. I have better luck drawing the circle and then FMQing it. Anyway, here’s the link to the Quilter's Rule set I own: https://quiltersrule.com/individual-product.php?id=330&tier=retail&category=20

      I’m noticing that the price has climbed! I’m sure I didn’t pay more than $45 for my set. Of course, there are lots of other thickness and diameter options, so you can look around more on this site.

      I'm happy to know you're reading my book reviews and perhaps choosing some titles to listen to for yourself. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  6. Your quilting looks fabulous Linda. I love the addition of the hand stitched Perle thread! That is my favourite way of finishing a quilt. I’m glad you enjoyed the Sally Hepworth. I see my local libraries have all the Jane Harper books available on audiobooks- shame I’ve read them all already! Tim Winton is quite a “raw” author- I think you’ve nailed that! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rings of machine quilting and hand stitching are just a wonderful touch. Love those big stitches in colors! I recently finished spiral quilting 25 big 18" blocks as I work my way to finishing a QAYG project started a couple of years ago. I do it all by machine starting in the center and just love the look. Slow going in the very center but it works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so much fun! Makes me think that I should try some big stitch quilting. Your pieced circles are fabulous, and thanks for the info on where you sourced them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lively and fun quilt, Linda! The hand stitching will add even more. Oh, that circle print backing- too late for this, but perfect for an upcoming quilt. Good you are getting out and about. Finding a home church can be a challenge- so good to have wonderful online worship to sustain. A boy and a dog- what a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! It must have been hard work machine quilting those spirals onto such a big quilt - an upper body workout added to the activities in your Refuge :-)
    The lockdown restrictions applied to Churches (no talking with people outside of your households, no singing and households have to keep 2m apart from other households!) have brought about many innovations. There's now an in-person service for children under 11 years and their parents, and also an evening service for teenagers and young people as well as the service that is live-streamed at 10.30am. A lot of work for all involved in delivering the services but a great blessing to our Church family and many others who tune in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun quilt! AND, just for the record, it does NOT look like Easter eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hand-quilted circles transform this beauty into something spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin