Friday, March 19, 2021

Getting Out

Last Tuesday afternoon, we received our second Pfizer vaccinations. Though to find appointments we had to drive 72 miles each way, to another county, we're glad we did.

When we got home, I promptly sat down to make this "I've been vaccinated" tag to wear when I'm in group situations. I made it with a piece of Kraft-tex. Using 28-weight Aurifil thread, I stitched the letters and design on my Bernina 770QE. It took me a bit to work out how to affix the tag to my clothing, but I figured out that a double-layer of fabric, made like a pocket for the inside of a bag, that's sewn to the edge of the Kraft-tex worked great. I stuck half of a Sew-Tite (magnet used for English paper piecing) in the pocket and the other to the back of my shirt. It works. (This morning, my cardio-vascular doc admired it when I wore it to my six-month check-up.)

Other than both of us having tender arms after the first vaccine, we felt good. I didn't have such a happy experience with the second dose though. By Wednesday morning, I began to experience four of the possible eight side effects. By 4:30 pm I was sleeping under an afghan on the sofa, feeling chilled and drained. I woke by 9-ish to go to bed and sleep another nine hours. Thankfully, Thursday morning I felt right as rain, and rarin' to go. It was my birthday too! Time to celebrate!

I did so by returning to a recreational center for a 7:30 am line dance class. Until March 12, 2020,  I'd been attending those classes for seven years, so it felt good to be back! I discovered that though I wasn't familiar with the newer line dances, my brain remembered how to memorize the new routines. And funnily, when we later began dancing to old routines, as soon as I heard a song, my feet remembered the steps! I dance the entire 1 hour 40-minute class.

As soon as I returned home, we headed out to do what I wanted to do on my birthday: visit Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales. I hadn't been there since I was a child.

Much of the land leading up to the tower is planted in orange groves. Fruit was ripe and being picked.

A bit of interesting information, learned in the museum: Edward Bok, the creative man behind building the tower, was a journalist who worked for Ladies Home Journal. Bok included Frank Lloyd Wright home floor plans in issues of the magazine, and he (Bok) is credited with coining the term "living room." 

The tower, which was built between 1926-1928 is still a beautiful site.

The "Singing Tower" contains 60 bells that are played by a carillonneur who manipulates a keyboard-looking line of wood handles. The first carillonneur lived in residence for 28 years. Now there are half hour-long performances at 1 and 3 pm daily. 

It was surprisingly busy for a Thursday, but I reminded myself that this is spring break week in Florida. 


Blooming azaleas were gorgeous.

We ate a light picnic lunch while on the grounds. 

On the way home, we stopped for dinner in Clermont at The Crooked Spoon. Hubs gifted me with some lotions and body sprays; and at various times throughout the day, I talked with both our kids; all five grandchildren; and received texts from my closest friends. It was a good day, and definitely a much better celebration than last year, when March 18 fell in the middle of our first week of lockdown. Yay for vaccines! 

For me, being able to get out again will likely signal a slow-down in making. While I'll always have WIPs, they won't be tackled as often because I fully intend to have less at-home time. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

The only thing I've accomplished at home since my last post was to do some wall rearranging to put up a couple quilts. I took down an old quilt from 2012, moved a 2017 quilt into its spot, and moved a 2020 quilt into the 2017 spot.
Jazzed, in the entryway

I moved two framed pictures to another wall, moved a 2013 quilt into their spot; and put a 2020 quilt into the 2013 spot. Makes complete sense right?! 
Hole Punch Ribbon in the chat room

I only need to find a place for Zing, my latest finish. I really want to hang it as it is a testament and reminder to me of how much work it takes to create an original design!

Gosh, I don't even have another book recommendation to make - another indiction of actually living life again! Linda

23 comments:

  1. That was my hubby’s experience with his 2nd Pfizer shot, I surprisingly had none. We’re so happy to have ours done.

    I’m glad you were able to get out and enjoy yourself, a wonderful comparison to a year ago when things were on the rise. We’re not out of the woods yet, but we’re on our way. Praise God. Some beautiful new pieces now hanging! Love them both, but drawn to “Hole Punch Ribbon”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Surya! Once again, I wish I could reply to you via email, but you're a "no-reply commenter." But yes, I fully appreciate how good it feels to be done with vaccines (until a booster is needed, of course). And thank you for understanding how it felt to celebrate my birthday, as compared to last year. Praising God indeed! Thanks for liking my quilts too. Hole Punch Ribbon was made in the first virtual workshop I took last year, with Jenny Haynes (Sheffield, UK) who goes by @pappersaxsten on Instagram. She is still teaching this, in case you're interested. See more about this quilt in this August 31, 2020 blog post: https://flourishingpalms.blogspot.com/2020/08/hole-punch-ribbon-quilt.html

      Delete
  2. Well, firstly Happy Birthday to you for the 18th. Looks like you had a wonderful day Linda. A lovely place to spend your birthday. Makes me think we should do that at our Botanical Gardens for mine next year. My birthday is the 2nd March, and we were in lockdown and couldn't go anywhere. Great to hear of your experience with the jab. I was going to ask you how it went. Do you recall which vaccine you were given? I love your quilts hanging on your walls. They look fabulous. As a matter of interest, how do you hang them? We had our house repainted inside a few years ago and after having to block up lotsa holes in the walls, I have never hung anything back up. We have a ranch slider in every room except the bathrooms, and toilets, so the house looks OK inside, but I wouldn't mind hanging some quilts again.Sorry this is so long!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reread and saw you had the Pfizer vaccine.:)

      Delete
    2. I hang mine using HangitDangit--one hole and you are done!
      (Elizabeth, a reader)

      Delete
  3. it sounds like you did enjoy your birthday! Yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you, and congrats on being fully vaccinated! Your quilts are beautiful! So glad you enjoyed your birthday with outings and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy you got your shots. Now you are ready to prance around. I love your rearranged treasures on the walls.
    I am getting my second pfizer on April 2nd. Thankfully I have no commitments after that last one. Our vax sites in Virginia have been local. Our county is at the local mall. Thanks for telling me about the second dose. My daddy also got the pfizer and the second time he said he felt very sleepy. He is 97 and always feels sleepy. So I will prepare to take a nap and hydrate
    Keep having good fun, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Linda! Here in Australia and few hundred thousand have had their jabs (mostly Astra Zeneca) but now there's confusion about when the rest of us can have ours. We are next on the list. Fortunately Australia is in a good position as far as Covid numbers go. I still haven't changed from being a no-reply commenter but will get around to it. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! Especially love seeing that one quilt in your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to you! The 18th of the month is a great day for a birthday! Mine is in a couple months. So good that your vaccine reaction was only one day, that seems to be quite common from what we've heard, and what I experienced too. Your quilts look wonderful against the white walls in your house. Perfect for Florida. Enjoy your new freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a sneak preview of your post this morning--but what fun to come over here and see all the pictures! Love the badge--I thought of making a wristband of some kind, with my vaccine card in it, but I like your idea better. Glad you had fun line-dancing, and my gosh--HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! So glad you were able to get out and about and have a memory on your birthday (on mine...they had a riot!). I loved reading all of this post--made me feel like I was out and about again, myself. Hubby got his #2 today, so in two weeks, we're already talking about what we might do. Happy Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing your quilts hanging on your walls! And yay for vaccinations! It must feel great to feel that bit safer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops...HAPPY birthday! I’m glad you made some new and more joyful memories than those from 2030!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy Belated Birthday!!! So glad you recover quickly from the second dose and were able to get out for your birthday. I will finally get my first dose next week. Hubs if all done with his and had no ill effects. Hoping for the same. We'll be heading to KC area in 3 weeks so am glad I'll be vaccinated. Your quilts look fabulous hanging up. Jazzed looks great in your entry. Have fun dancing and getting out again. I know you have missed all your activities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe this. When I was growing up, we would visit Florida every few years as my mother's sister lived in Ft. Lauderdale. I have a memory as a child of seeing this tower you showed, but I never could remember what it was called - just remember seeing it in Florida. For some reason it made a very strong impression on me and although I could remember seeing it, I could not remember where. The minute I saw your picture of it, I knew that was the tower! Now I want to go and see it again. I must have been around 6 years old when we visited it on one of our trips to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great birthday gift, Linda, and I'm SEW glad that you have gotten your recent quilts displayed in your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on getting your shots, it's interesting that the side effects were worse for the second one. Happy Birthday, so nice for you to get out and about this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated Happy Birthday greetings! And excellent you have had your second dose of the vaccine.
    Here in the UK over half the adult population have now had at least one dose. Me and my husband our due our first dose next week. Lockdown restrictions mean we are still not supposed to travel away from home and most venues remain closed. It was good to see photos of your day out - gives me hope that soon we will be able to get in the car and enjoy a change of scene :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You came up with a great idea with the tag, saving a lot of time explaining to folks that yes, you have had your shots! Lovely birthday treats for you Linda, belated birthday wishes to you and I've enjoyed seeing the shots of those two beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tag is clever and handy. So glad you had a wonderful birthday trip. I've not been to Bok Gardens- will have to add it to the list. You are one of the few I've heard of who had a bad reaction to the Pfizer shot, but glad it did not last long. And now you are free to dance, and be out and about a bit more. Good news. The quilt in the entry looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your jazzed quilt looks spectacular on the wall! We got buttons when we got our vaccine, but we were just very thankful to get vaccine even if they hadn't given out buttons!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin