Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Slogging

The past week, plus, has been a time of intense slogging, as I've diligently worked, nearly every day, on the quilt that is my four-quadrant design resulting from the Asymmetrical Symmetry series of virtual workshop with Maria Shell TalesofaStitcher.

The last of four workshops was Sunday evening (no Super Bowl interest or watching for me). The workshop was more than challenging. But, I affirmed what I know about myself; I don't have the personality or insightful understanding to move an idea or inspiration into a tangible visual design. When I attempting to do so, the effort and process is emotionally taxing and unpleasant. 

That's not to say that the workshop itself, nor Maria's ability to teach are at fault! Not at all! Asymmetrical Symmetry is a great workshop for drawing out a quilter's creative abilities, and Maria's guidance is helpful, thorough, thoughtful, and non-judgmental. The responsibility for my difficulties are entirely my own. 

My four quadrants continue to evolve, by trial and error... with the "error" being frequent unsewing and resewing, and generating many more scraps. (Sigh.) In the second session, Maria suggested it was okay to change ideas and/or reduce the number of ideas.

Since the lower right "staircases" quadrant wasn't coming together

I switched my idea from staircases to my ukulele. 

This is where I'm right now. 
ukulele quadrant

Iowa wind farm quadrant

Bismarck palm quadrant

I'll Fly Away (song) quadrant

Quadrants are not sewn together, and have been rearranged - not for the last time - and it now looks like this. How to fill the plus-shaped space between the quadrants is the most critical part of making this a cohesive design. I'll keep my nose down so as to try to meet Maria's February 14 deadline for a completed quilt top. My quilt top should measure about 40" X 50". 

Though my focus has been on the workshop piece, it's been a refreshing relief to pick up hand-piecing  (as when talking on the phone) to make more Glitter blocks. When I see the blocks together, I can immediately pick out which ones will not make the final cut in the quilt top. Such as: middle row, fourth from the right. Too mushy.

An update on the competition between Dan and me... 

Whist: 7/0 (since Christmas)
Gin Rummy: 3/0 (since before Christmas)
Rummikub: 2/0 (in 2021)

Those zeros are all mine. Suffice it to say that game-playing has completely ceased.

Life is challenging these days, isn't it? 

Book Recommendation
Anxious People is the latest book from Fredrik Backman who also wrote A Man Called Ove... a popular book you may have read a couple years ago that's also being made into a movie with Tom Hanks. 

Anxious People takes place in Sweden, among a group of eight people who are attending an apartment viewing the day before New Year's Eve. When a would-be bank robber bursts into the apartment, each of their lives is exposed to review, scrutiny and revelation. The father-son police team, Jim and Jack, interviewing the witnesses have their own dynamics, and an early-on description of Jim's approach to technology and use of Google had me laughing out loud.

The book contains many insightful nuggets worth quoting, such as:
You can't live long with the ones who are only beautiful. But the funny ones - oh, they last a lifetime
Backman writes with humor and insightfulness, so the reader comes to know every character, beginning with the real estate agent, and (cashless) bank teller. (What kind of bank robber, robs a cashless bank?) As well, the narrator, Marin Ireland, deserves kudos for delivering an outstanding vocal performance of each character. 

Linda's score: 4.8/5.0

Linda

11 comments:

  1. Now this is looking interesting. I love your use of solids! Do the four visuals for your quadrants relate to each other or are they quite separate? I find improv very tricky too, but I do keep trying! I'm guessing something repetitive {maybe colour or a design element} could link things? Off now to check out Maria's site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have infinite patience! I just would not attempt this sort of project, I prefer something a little simpler but I do admire your tenacity in persevering. N ow, your glitter quilt project I think is stunner, love those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about turning your quadrants 90 degrees, so the quadrants are laying on their sides, as it were? Keep the same layout, just turn it 90 degrees. Sometimes that helps. I do like the quadrants and will be watching to see what you do going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this fix. It looks great. Keep slogging.
    What else is there to do? Gosh we are living in weird times.
    Try not to pay too much attention to our Pol Pot regime

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at what you can do with solids, Linda. I avoid them like poison!!! Sorry about the game score - I would have stopped playing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh your Bismark Pine quadrant is striking. I so look forward to seeing your quilt come together. Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll go look to see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really coming along beautifully, Linda! I'm sure you feel stuck in the weeds with all the arranging and rearranging, but for us just seeing it without having expended all the brain angst on it- it's really remarkable. Keep at it- I'm pretty sure the final result will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem to be steeping your design in meaning, Linda. I'm sure you will come up with something wonderful to tie the four quadrants together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The switch to ukuleles was a good decision in my view as it offers such a nice design element perhaps more inline with the other quadrants. You are probably learning way more than you know as you slog your way through the class. Keep slogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your persistence is admirable. I packed away my Maria Shell stuff unfinished and re-purposed the yardage when I decided it wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin