Friday, October 2, 2020

Jazzed!

That's exactly how I'm feeling - Jazzed! - about finishing the 43" X 43" improv quilt I started in Maria Shell's @talesofastitcher September 12-13 virtual workshop: "Linear Blocks: Line into Shape."

Do you know that feeling when during the process of making a quilt, something about it feels extra-right? Well, that's exactly how I felt during all the making of Jazzed. 

I've found my improv sweet spot. 

With Maria's guidance, I pieced various "elements" using the guidelines on my rotary cutting mat and a 60 mm rotary cutter to cut fabric strips. As a block or section was completed, I squared-it with a ruler before attaching it to other pieces. The finished quilt is on the square.

I used leftover bits to make the back wide enough, feeling very satisfied about finding the perfect spot for those cute, tiny cross blocks I'd thought to use on the front. I like this vertical strip between two pieces of Kona aqua.


Quilter's Dream Puff batting is my new favorite batt because it gives a quilt lovely dimension. Quilting is a combination of free motion, ruler work, and walking foot quilting on my Bernina 770QE. 


For the second time, I edge-stitched the whole quilt sandwich before quilting... and the quilting came out perfectly flat, again - no scooching as I quilted. I will definitely be taking this extra step from now on.

Once again, I followed this favorite Easy Quilt Facing instruction at We All Sew, to finish the edges. 

While on another recent label-making binge, I even made the label for this quilt... still adding the phrase "during the Coronavirus pandemic." A few decades from now, people will want to know.

Here's my usual, favorite quilt photos spot - Jazzed clamped to a frond of our front yard Bismarck palm. 


Love the palm; love the quilt! I think I need to rearrange or remove a quilt from a wall to make a spot to hang it. I just want to admire it! Linda

15 comments:

  1. It IS a special quilt..... the piecing and the quilting. Hang it !!! how could you let go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is just stunning Linda - love everything about it !! looking forward to seeing it hang at Quiltcon 2021 ?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...this is a great piece!!!!! Kudo's to you...love the back just as much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Linda. It's stunning, and your quilting is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this quilt! You should be Jazzed! You've mentioned stitching the perimeter of the quilt before beginning the ruler and free motion work - are you using spray baste to hold your layers together?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful finish! Your gorgeous and innovative quilting enhanced your improv designs in every way. So glad you've found your 'sweet spot!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is a gorgeous quilt! And you are so fast! That turquoise "sashing" really makes the whole thing so cohesive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this one - my friend Chris Jurd did one of these quilts here in Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a no-reply commenter, so I hope you see tis.... Hello Daphne! Thank you so much! I know Chris, and will be sure to look on her Instagram feed to see if I can find a picture of it. I quite admire what Chris does, so I have no doubt her piece is wonderful.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great finish! So lively and, of course, colorful. Wow! You did it again! This must have been quite a challenge, but perhaps not for you. I think the color choice must have been important to make this come together. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is awesome. You did such a good job from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy you have found your sweet spot when it comes to improv. Part of my 2020 plan was to try more improv but, as with most things this year, it hasn't happened. Perhaps next year. I'm sure you have mentioned this before on your blog but what printer do you use for your labels? We need a new printer and I have loads of quilts that need real labels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jazzed looks so AMAZING hanging from your palm tree!! Best of luck finding the perfect spot to display it in your home. I (almost) like the back as much as the front!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt turned out great! your quilting is fabulous. Love your photo in the palms :)
    Love how you used the leftovers on the back. I have plans for my little bits too.
    can't wait to see your next improv quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Mine is still in a box...

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin