Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Quilts Away!

After 15 months of not visiting our family in Kansas City, on September 30 we took our pandemic chances - behaving extremely cautiously! - and drove to Kansas City, spending one overnight in a motel each way. We stayed with our daughter and her family the entire time, I visited (outdoors and wearing masks) my Dad three times, and we went to West Des Moines (Iowa) for a day to handle some personal business. We returned home this afternoon, October 13.

Anticipating that we'd be seeing family, I decided to see if I might give away quilts to family members. So before leaving, I uploaded pictures of quilts to my Dropbox account, added the name and dimensions of each quilt, and then emailed families with the link, inviting them to choose whichever quilt(s) they wanted. I'm happy to say that 14 of them were claimed! 

Four of the quilts were made just this year! Surprisingly, the quilt most-requested was Scrap Snap.
My brother and his wife claimed it first, though their two sons also asked for it! 😂 I decided to let them work that out. 

Four of these quilts were finished just this year! I'm documenting here those quilts I no longer have, listing them more for my own reference than yours. 
  • Grandma's Wonky Logs, 2020
  • Snap Scrap, 2020
  • Village, 2020
  • Jiggle-Joggle-Jee, 2020
  • Ring Me, 2019
  • Broke the Rules: Jewels, 2019
  • Heading Home, 2018
  • Charming Postage Plus, 2018
  • Patriotic Pinwheels, 2017
  • Outer Space, 2017
  • Mod Mini, 2016
  • Urban Abacus, 2014
  • Space Crystals, 2006
  • Mile-a-Minute, 2002
I was sure happy that some of the older quilts were chosen too, though no one picked the one brown quilt I wanted to give away. Brown. Ugh.

After family members had made their initial choices, I invited everyone to take a second look. If they wanted two quilts, or more, I was okay with that. It was my sister-in-law who came through and made a few more selections. It was wonderful to deliver four quilts to Kansas City, and ten quilts to Iowa! My SIL has seven of them! And best of all, we have an empty shelf in our master closet now!
💃

Before leaving home, I got busy putting labels on the quilts I'd missed labeling. Quite a few! I use my MacBook to design labels, and print them on EQ Printables, a plastic-backed fabric.

I couldn't be happier about seeing these quilts go to homes where they will be used and appreciated. Each person - especially my SIL 😄 - expressed their thanks. I have warm gushy feelings about the entire process. I've asked only that I get some pictures of the quilts in use, because all us quilt makers know how wonderful it is to see those. 

As thanks, my brother and SIL gave me five two pound bags of Hy-Vee white popcorn! Dan and I had to laugh because he'd already made a special trip to Hy-Vee to buy three two pound bags to take home.

Along with the popcorn our daughter sent me last month (as thank you for making face masks), I now have 22 POUNDS of white popcorn! Good golly... it's wonderful that they know what I like, but I'll be eating popcorn for at least a year! 
 
While away, I exercised (power-walked, and weight-lifted) several times, which gave me a chance to finish the audiobook: The Night Ferry by Michael Robotham. This is the second book I've read by this author. I like his style!

The story centers on an investigation by UK detective Alisha Barba. At a school reunion, Ali meets with an estranged school chum, Kate, briefly learns what's happening in Kate's life, and immediately witnesses a car hitting and killing pregnant Kate and her husband. Was the car driving toward them intentionally? Was Kate really pregnant?! Ali's concerns about her friend's death, and the suspicious behavior of Kate's family lead her on a path of discovery that takes her to Amsterdam where she is exposed to sex trafficking, baby brokering, and immigrant exploitation. I didn't see where this was going, so it was an entertaining read.

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

I've unpacked and put away, and am looking forward to digging into sewing room stuff. I have new fabric to play with! Linda

13 comments:

  1. Heehee, with all that popcorn you're going to have to walk a lot more! They know you well! New fabric to play with - how nice! I just have to look in my closet and open a bin and some of that fabric looks new to me, it's been so long since I acquired it that memory fades unless those bins are opened regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to celebrate in your post! Travel, family, quilts gifted, popcorn! Very fun, Linda, and especially happy that so many quilts found new homes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful and generous of you to give so many quilts away. It's nice that they will stay with family though and it really makes sense that they'll keep someone warm instead of lingering in a cupboard. I'm sure all those quilts will be treasured. On a side note; I've noticed that you too read (or listen to) quite a lot of British authors like I do. I'm going to check out your latest recommendation right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grand quilt tour- excellent! Glad you got away and got to see your Dad. Let's see- you gave away 14 quilts and brought home 20 bags of popcorn. Those will be a lot easier to store and should last you quite awhile. Nice to re-home your beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilts are all wonderful and it is such a good feeling when you know they are going to good homes. That is important to me also when I give a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so delighted about your family wanting so many of your quilts. What a great feeling it is when you make a kind offer and it is accepted with excitement. That's marvelous. Glad you got to see your dad and that you are loaded with popcorn. We are having a great time with our kids here. The visits with family are much needed during this time. Thanks for sharing about the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that some of your quilts have now been happily rehomed with family. Great too that you had that visit to see your Dad, family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy the quilt give away went well. You did a lot of work with pictures and sizes to help folks pick well. As a genealogist I am thrilled with the labels. Two generations from now a family genealogist will be so happy to add the info to your branch on a tree..... no comment on the popcorn..... I like my popcorn with butter and parmesan.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on re-homing so many of your quilts, Linda (and enjoy that popcorn!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you finally got away and were able to spend time with your Dad. Giving away that many quilts is an added bonus as I know you are trying to keep your quilt inventory under control. It's not something I've though much about but probably should. Instead I just keep thinking of new ones to make with no real plans for their end purpose. Haven't sewn in months but am about to get back into the studio now that cooler temps have arrived. Go eat some popcorn and read another good book. An author I like is Lisa Wingate. She wrote "Before We Were Yours" which I think you may have read. I'm finishing up The Book of Lost Friends right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not surprised that Scrap Snap was the most requested quilt. The colors are really pretty. It's wonderful that you were able to give so many of your lovely quilts to your family. It's much more satisfying to give them new homes than to store them in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some very lucky family members!!!! What wonderful gifts for them!! And who doesn't love popcorn??!! I can eat it daily. Haven't tried the white popcorn, I shall give it a try!!! Have a lovely weekend Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great idea to upload pictures and let them choose! I just set aside a pile to go to Ronald McDonald House. I won't have to move them ;)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin