Saturday, April 18, 2020

These Corona Days

We're engaging with grandchildren whenever possible, and recently it was my turn to cook with Tay. He wanted to make Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, but after discussing it with him, we agreed it would be easier to bake the dough as bars, in a jelly roll pan. He's serious about learning to cook, and has expressed that it's a lot of work! Following our successful baking effort, he made guacamole that was a hit with his family too. We followed the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe for that one. This afternoon Tay and I are making Apple Spice Cake 

Quilt-y Activities

Early in the new year, anticipating a year's worth of monthly opportunities to attend Sew-Ins with modern quilty-friends, I prepped pieces to make "Village," a pattern by Miss Rosie's Quilts. Moda Fabrics made the "Village" pattern available for free when self-isolation began.

Expecting that I wouldn't be with quilty friends any time soon, I went ahead and pieced the 132 houses I'd planned for my quilt. I'm not exactly following the pattern that calls for borders; no borders for me. 

I added a row of houses, so the top is 78" long. However, this is only 55" wide, so I'll be adding spacers between some of the houses - present-day social distancing - to make the quilt wider. 

Needing my design wall for something else, I took all the houses down, pinning each column, marked with an alphabet letter, to maintain the layout. This is my favorite piecing system called "the web." It's a method that follows the layout of an Excel spreadsheet, and is a technique I teach in my beginner quiltmaking classes. See my blog tutorial here. 

I feel comfortable knowing that the blocks will remain in the arrangement I had on the design wall, and are ready for piecing into a quilt top whenever the urge strikes. 

Are your making urges all over the map right now? Are you feeling as distracted as I am?

It seems I cannot focus for long on one project. Well, I couldn't do that before Coronavirus either, but it's worse now. And I'm more frequently making mistakes! I swear that everything I touch has to be redone - the Kit Supply Tote because of the wrong type of zipper; house blocks with scant quarter-inch seam allowances; labels not sewn-in straight and needing resewing... Please tell me I'm not alone in having that "mistakes issue" either! 

The time has been right to dig into the latest box of vintage fabrics that were found last September at our grandparent's empty farmhouse. My sister saved this boxful for me, and I received it in November. Fabrics are more of the same era of fabrics as found in June... and blogged about here.

Thanks to guidance from Monica @buttoncounter, a friend in Austin, Texas, I know what to do first. That's handwash fabric with the powdered Oxi Clean Versatile, Odor and Stain Remover.  As before, after soaking fabrics the water looked like coffee. I rinsed and soaked them two more times.

Then, hung them out to dry. The fabric pieces dry as stiff as board. At first I thought that was because I'd left soap in the fabric, but I realized it's just the nature of these old fibers. 

All these pieces, and more, have been washed, pressed, and cut into usable pieces for special projects. 

The 67" X 88" vintage quilt top I kept, to finish into a quilt for our granddaughter is done being quilted! I'm thrilled about that, and the binding is ready to go. 

I spent dozens of hours in my aqua chair under my Slimline floor lamp, stitching these small, practically invisible X's across the quilt. With the wool batt, the texture is just what I hoped it would be. Can't wait to call this quilt done!

This is my next small handwork project. Fabric on the right was given to me by a friend. I'm using size 8 DMC pearl cotton to randomly stitch across a piece of linen. The two pieces will join to make one side of a pencil pouch. I'll repeat the design for the opposite side.

The free Noodlehead pencil pouch pattern is here.

I'm continuing to keep up with the Boulder MQG's improv challenge. On Instagram, it's #bouldermqgathome A different improv prompt is given each Sunday. I shared the first two weeks here.

Week 3: the April 5 prompt was log cabins. Ugh. I don't like - never have - log cabin blocks, so it felt good to cut up a few of them.

Week 4: the April 12 prompt was squares.

I couldn't resist seeing what they all look like together. 

I'm still using only scrap bin pieces, and cutting only with scissors. Even the trimmed-down edges of these approximately 9-1/2" X 9-1/2" squares are scissor-cut. At times it's a little frustrating to work this way, but it's a good exercise. 

Non-Quilt-y Activities

Speaking of exercise... are you getting out for yours? Or staying inside to do it? I am keeping up regularly with outdoor and indoor exercise. One day it's power-walking three to four miles (at about a 16 minute per mile pace), and another day it's using weights and following a 45-50 minute Leslie Sansone video like this one on YouTube or DailyMotion. I love a good, sweaty workout that makes me feel like I've earned every bit of my she-cave time. 💪 

Daily I'm spending time memorizing Psalm 91 and am up to verse 11. Are you memorizing it? Here's the link to the Living Proof Ministries print-out that looks nice hanging on a wall. 

Did you watch any of the BluPrint online classes during their free viewing days? After viewing Jacqui Gering walking foot classes, I watched Rigid Heddle Loom Weaving with Deborah Jarchow. I thought it would satisfy my curiosity about weaving, but instead it gave me an avid interest in doing it! I've been Googling where to buy a loom and started following #rigidheddleloom on Instagram. Oh dear! 😧 I don't have space or time for another hobby! And what in the world would I do with scarves or wraps?! Stop me!

Oh, and in between times, I'm trying to learn WordPress. My thinking is to move our Central Florida MQG blog (I'm responsible for it) from Blogger to WordPress. Then, when I felt comfortable with the platform, I'll move my blog from Blogger to WordPress too. For a long time I've thought that Blogger (owned by Google) isn't being support by Google, as I've experienced several unresolved problems with Blogger. The worst is being unable to write comments from my MacBook computer to a Blogger blog. Many of us are experiencing that unresolved problem. Blogger has even locked questions and discussions about it!

I'm concerned that one day Blogger will be so inoperable that those of us using Blogger will be forced to move to WordPress. So, I'm trying to be proactive. But am finding it very challenging to learn WordPress which isn't intuitive to me. 

A few Netflix programs have caught my attention: the series Virgin River; and the movie Faith, Hope, and Love. I'm still listening to books too. Recently that was A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende. I've read a couple of her books in the past - I liked Zorro - so I know she's Chilean and her books are translated into English. 

It was difficult to engage in this book because it's about an unfamiliar (to me) war - the 1930's civil war in Spain; the flight of refugees from Spain to France, and France to Chile; and subsequent civil war and oppression in Chile. Certainly, exposure to the history in these countries was educational for me.

The story follows army doctor Victor Dalmau who helps his brother's pregnant friend to flee from war-torn Spain into France where they're each detained in a camp. They later board the SS Winnipeg with 2200 emigrants sailing to Chile to begin a new life. Politics, military coups, and unrest follow the couple throughout the story. No doubt the historical perspective is factual - good information for readers who like that sort of thing.  

Linda's score: 3.0/5.0

The three counties in our area are seeing a good slow in new cases of COVID-19, causing our counties to drop lower on the list of Florida counties with cases. We're speculating that it's because seniors are following stay-at-home orders. Counties with younger adults may not be as diligent about that. In any case, we're anticipating more stay-at-home weeks. I continue to be grateful that I have a stay-at-home hobby that keeps me engaged.  Linda

15 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful your grandson wants to cook!!! So many men can't even turn on the oven to preheat (hmmmmmmm too bad my hubby can't read this comment!)...heck, he can't even turn off the timer on the stove! HA..again,kudo's to you for showing your grand and to him for wanting to learn to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on your grandson! Nothing like a man who can cook, and it sounds like he is developing a nice range of recipes. Love your social distancing idea for your houses :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping for a video of you and Tay interacting.
    The houses are so cute! That's a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so much to comment on Linda, I've almost forgotten what I read first. Good on your grandson for wanting to cook. My grandson at the age of about 12 could poach eggs better than me! Love your little houses. I have been doing a mystery quilt from Adelaide Quilt Guild, but have gone a bit wrong in my interpretation of what shades were required. I think I can save it though. Silly me made two different quilts. One worked out better than the other.

    When you post your photos, are they in google photos first? I still seem to have trouble . I think its where my photos are on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have a nice long blog post, I like that. Just a quick update on your exploits haha
    In Northern Virginia, so far we have been blessed. I DO go to see daddy twice a week, but I always come directly from my house (showered and in clean clothes, in my very clean car...) No stops anywhere before.
    I am happy to know you are surviving.
    Here too. Sewing, cleaning etc, face timing, coffee, rinse and repeat
    Stay well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooking over the internet with your grandson, how great is that! Love the fute little house blocks, I've got some here I need to do something with

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure the family appreciates Tay's cooking lessons. That's a great use of his time and your skills. What fun. He will have something special to remember about this time. That's a whole lot of houses! Cute houses. Yes, I keep saying that I'm "scattered". I move a project along, but can't seem to settle. I'm also listening to audio books while sewing. And dog walking, plus we ride our bikes on a rather remote section of a bike trail- so we get exercise as well. I do hope the areas opening up (like Jacksonville beaches) don't see a "bloom" of virus in a couple of weeks. But I understand it's hard to sustain this confinement for many. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have plans for the freshly laundered vintage fabrics Linda? And congratulations on the hand quilted finish! That's some achievement! I really wonder about your troubles with Blogger and why it seems confined to the States? I never have an issue with any of my blog reading, commenting, posting etc. anymore. Good luck with Word Press, I didn't like it very much. If Blogger ever fails me again, I'll just stop blogging, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you are finding ways to engage with your grandsons online. It will be something they will remember. I'm thinking we will all remember the quilts made during these quarantine days too. Not something I really want to associate with my quilts. I made one that I do consider my Covid quilt. It came about from fabrics that were out but not used in a previous project. Initially I resisted using them because they seemed too depressing given the times. Then I hit upon a more positive concept and that's all it took. It's small and not yet quilted. I'm thinking of tying it but don't have the right supplies. Now I'm moving on to more fun and colorful things that I had planned anyway. I love the cheerful look of all your houses. It's colorful, fun and speaks to our need for community. Adding some social distancing between houses is a nice way to tie it to the times. My MIL had a loom. Used is a lot at first but not so much after they moved to Colorado and she eventually sold it. Stay safe, healthy and keep on quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bar cookies are always great. Super fun and not so much time for impatient folks like me. Yes, I am also all over the place with what I want to do. Now I want to learn how to crochet and found a friend who agreed to teach me as soon as we can get together. Am also enjoying hand embroidery and have some wonderful, new to me, threads/floss. Thanks for your newsy posts. They are always fun and uplifting. And good for Tay in wanting to learn to cook. I'll bet all of you are happy about that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brain is definitely all over the place right now!! I have serious COVID/ADHD going on. It's a different kind of distraction, too - something like a Lupus fog, but not exactly, and it just goes on all the time instead of coming and going. But fortunately, I have lots of old projects to bounce around as my attention feels like doing, and since I do usually have a rotation of a few projects instead of just one at a time going, I'm already set up to keep them organized for the next time they get picked up. It is definitely nice to already have been established with an in-home vocation!

    Wow! Look at those cool log cabin blocks! You're working in my very favorite color scheme, too, so this is a great piece of eye candy for me. :) Keep having fun with your grandson- that is so great that you spend active time with him this way. Love that he's cooking with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linda! Thank you for sharing what life is like for you now. I have been trying to be organized about the quilting projects but I have several going on concurrently. However, finishing a bunch of quilts feels good. I am trying to exercise daily with walking, yoga, weights but sometimes I can't find the motivation. We've been eating healthy. My husband and I switched to a vegetarian diet in February so it has been pretty easy to find what we need at the grocery stores. Mostly I miss my two little grandsons! I love that you are using technology so well with yours! One of my guys is only a few weeks old and facetime is kind of, well, slow paced as we watch him sleep! This too will pass and I am mostly feeling blessed to be healthy and able to ride this out where I am. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I have enjoyed reading this post!! I fell in love with your houses and promptly headed over and downloaded the free pattern. Like yourself, and many others, I cannot seem to settle on one project out of many, I began one 10 days ago and felt nothing for the sewn blocks at all, arranging them this way and that and now they live in the spare parts box!! Beautiful improv challenge and amazing to see them all together on the wall,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to give BluPrint a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your houses and your funky log cabin blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin