Thursday, April 23, 2020

April Quilt Finish: Vintage-Style

Doing our part to flatten the curve, we're continuing to stay at home. Our only grocery store run was after 25 days of quarantine, and now we're on day 10 since the last grocery store visit. Ten days ago, Dan went to the grocery with a list of more than 40 items. The only thing he couldn't get was yeast. Our pizza-eating days are limited.

Last week I spent 1:36 on FaceTime with Tay, guiding him through making apple spice cake. On Monday, our daughter Jill's birthday, Dan guided Tay through making chicken tetrazzini... with said birthday girl's help. Celina baked a birthday carrot cake.

Knowing Celina would be baking that cake, and also knowing I couldn't stand at a card counter endlessly picking up and putting down greeting cards to find just the right one, I made Jill's birthday card with scraps of fabric and a little free motion quilting.


After four months, and long hours spent sitting in my aqua chair under my Slimline floor lamp, I finished hand quilting my Grandmother's quilt top.

In this flat shot you can see precisely where I modified the borders. The quilt top had only three borders and no extra fabric could be found in Grandma's stash. That's probably why it was left as it was. So I removed a border, and redistributed it with a new reproduction fabric. 

Though my hand quilting isn't visible - small X's stitched at one-inch intervals - the combination of random stitches and the puffiness of Quilter's Dream wool batting worked perfectly to mask the imperfections in the hand-piecing. The quilt top did not lay flat! The quilt's poof-iness hides that.

All the backing fabrics are from my stash, and I pretty much used up every blue-blue print I own! You might guess, I'm not a "blue person." Aqua, yes; blue, no.

By my reckoning, between my Grandma's hand-piecing (though we will never know for sure if she's the person who pieced this) and my backing and hand-stitching, we made a pretty good team.

I'll make and add a label that tells this quilt's story. It measures 68" X 84".

Oh boy! I had a fun read with Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain. It's been a few months since a book engaged me like this one.

The story opens with 20-something Morgan who is in a North Carolina prison. When she's unexpectedly given parole, she can't quite believe her good fortune, nor fully grasp the conditions of her release - in only a couple months, restore an old post office mural by an artist named Anna Dale. We learn more about Morgan's past, her boyfriend and reason for her incarceration, and Anna's story. Her life is about a young woman alone, living her dream of painting, yet coping with a small town's prejudices about a female artist, and race. If you like a book about uncovering secrets, you will thoroughly enjoy this one.

Linda's score 4.5/5.0

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson was an engaging book based on a completely improbable premise: twins who degenerate into flames whenever they're upset or stressed. The author makes that fact totally believable while telling the story of Lillian who's living a dead-end life, and Lillian's best friend, Madison, who lives in wealth as the wife of a Kentucky senator. When Madison finds herself responsible for the twins, she hires Lillian as governess. Over several months of caring for the twins, Lillian discovers herself, and is surprised by what she finds.

The only reason I didn't give this book a higher score is because of language. Call me a prude, but I find vulgarity completely unnecessary. Lillian's foul language added nothing to my perception of her character.   

Linda's score 3.8.0/5.0

If you noted that I listened to two books this past week, and you suspect it's because I've returned to machine quilting, you'd be correct! I most often listen to books while quilting. Though I'm "over" working on this temperature quilt, I must finish!

On Tuesday, April 21, I made an assessment of it:
  • The quilt has 378 blocks that are each 4" X 4".
  • I have quilted 268 blocks; it's 70 percent finished.
  • 110 blocks remain to be quilted.
  • Each block takes approximately 15 minutes to quilt.
  • If I quilt 6 blocks a day (1-1/2 hours), I'll finish quilting Friday, May 8.
  • I'm going for it. 
  • 💪
Linda

11 comments:

  1. Your temp quilt is soooo worth it! Hang in there, it will soon be done. It's one of the best I've seen. The vintage quilt finish is lovely too and extra special because of the family connection. Is this the one you were finishing for your granddaughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment keeps disappearing- hopefully you have not gotten two partial ones from me so far. Anyway, I love your vintage quilt. And it reminded me to tell you- Miss D's Quilt Shop in Palatka was to have a show in April. Of course it has been postponed now until June. One category of quilts is a non-judged, just for fun one called Rescue Quilts. People are encouraged to take an old top or blocks, etc. and finish them into something. The prize is a viewer's choice, but really the fun is in seeing old treasures repurposed. Yours would be a wonderful entry if you are interested in displaying it. I've got one to go in the show, and I know several others will also show a quilt. Fun! Wow, your ruler quilted project is coming along beautifully. Almost there! We don't look forward to grocery trips either, and have otherwise been staying under our rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be able to finish your grandmother's quilt, it is certainly destined to be a real family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine you are thrilled to be finished with the vintage quilt! That really was a project filled with love, even if it was, at times, a trial; better yet, a labour of love! And what a great card you made! Carrot cake is the perfect way to get your daily intake of vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandson is becoming quite the chef! It's so fun to see them take an interest in doing these types of creative endeavors. No yeast to be found anywhere around here either, and my latest attempt at getting sourdough starter going was an abysmal failure. I'll bet you're delighted to have that vintage quilt finished, and a beautiful finish it is! I think this was the one for your granddaughter? I think she will love snuggling under it. Wool batting is so soft and warm, I'm a recent convert and it truly makes hand quilting so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a grocery run after 25 days too. No yeast here either in Sarasota.
    I love that your grandson cooks! That's s a good skill to possess as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep on quilting...enjoying the progress on it. Your quilting is stunning!
    I'm picking up groceries curbside these days. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing the quilt. Attaching a label will seal it's place as a family heirloom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for your blue quilt finish. And your temp quilt...I don't think my whole year of quilting adds up to what you've put into this beauty. So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother’s quilt is spectacular, Linda. I applaud your dedication to finish her quilt journey for her. Your own quilt journey, your temperature quilt, will be a huge accomplishment and a glorious finish. It’s a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you were able to finish your grandma's quilt and I know it will be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin