Monday, April 27, 2020

Distracted Sewing

This has been my she-cave situation for more than a week now. I had to move out my Bernina 440 and replace it with my Featherweight. The 440 foot control at intervals would stop working. I think there's a bad connection between the machine's foot control plug and the cord.

Anyway... I keep finding projects I want to make, and add them to a growing list of WIPs (works in progress). (Shh... don't remind me that I want to make a ScrapSnap quilt.

Based on comments from other quilters and sewists, I realize that I'm not alone in my inability to focus on one thing. Apparently that's an outcome of the Coronavirus quarantine. While I've always envied those who can start a project, and see it through to the end before beginning another, that's never been the case for me. So apparently my distracted sewing is a way to cope with quarantine.

Nonetheless, I'm justifying every one of my various projects because most of them involve using scraps. It's been a good feeling to sort through scrap bins, cut up pieces and make use of leftovers. Don't we all like to do that? Other than a finished quilt, I don't think any other activity in my sewing room is more satisfying. 

On BluPrint, I watched Christina Cameli's "The Scrappy Market Tote" video to see how she mades fabric from scraps. She calls it crumb piecing. My Featherweight is set up to piece more scrap strips whenever the mood strikes. None of these strips are joined because I don't know what I'm making!

Also, with another new purpose in mind, I dug into this container of seldom-used strips. These are the last long cuts: 1) from yardage; 2) excess cut-away from quilt backs; and, 3) lengths of leftover quilt binding. If the strips were wide enough, I cut them into 2" widths, though I kept the 2-1/4"-wide binding leftovers as is.

Then, beginning with a www.wikihow.com diagram, I started making a braided rag rug.

As you can see, it's a four-strand braid.

Once you turn the first corner, the fourth strip is used to weave new braid through previously-braided strips.

To add-on strips, Wikihow instructions say to either knot ends together, or cut a slit through both strip ends to create a woven join. I tried both methods, but thought they were bulky. So, since I'm braiding while sitting at my sewing machine chair, I have been using a short sewing machine stitch length to machine-piece strips to one another as I go.

Dan walked into the room and said, "That's not a very big rug." Ha, ha! It's about 8" by 14" so far. I have a way to go, and will run out of strips before it's finished. 

But that's okay by me. It's an ongoing project that is achieving it's purpose: 1) to use-up; and, 2) decrease my strip scraps.

Though the Boulder MQG improv challenge prompt was four days later than usual (okay by me!)  I've made the blocks following their "X block" prompt. Since scraps in my scrap bin are getting smaller - I haven't cut into stashed yardage - I improvised. Ha! Improvised improvisation. Two blocks are about 10" X 10". The two smaller blocks will be worked into the overall finished quilt. As my self-challenge, I'm still cutting fabrics only using scissors.

I'm sticking to my daily goal of quilting six blocks (at least) a day on my temperature quilt, aiming for a May 8 finish.

It's extremely satisfying to look at my progress and notice the lovely texture. Wool batting is the best! 

Hours of sewing room time means hours of audiobook listening. Two more finishes brings my year total to 23 books.
Love on the Line by Deeanne Gist is what I would call a summer, beach time read. It's a charming story that takes place in Texas in the early 1900s, about a young and single telephone switchboard operator, and a Texas ranger who comes to town posing as a telephone lineman who is trying to infiltrate and capture a notorious train-robber. As predictable as the storyline was, it was informative too. The narrative included telling about nesting and mating habits of several Texas birds, and explained what a pigeon-shooting tournament looked like, in the days before clay pigeons. This was a light and satisfying read.

Linda's score: 3.9/5.0


Since I enjoyed Diane Chamberlain's book Big Lies in a Small Town, I looked for another of her books and listened to The Midwife's Confession. It's narrated by five women who take the roles of the five main characters. I recognized the voices of two of them from previous books I've listened to.

The story begins with Noelle's suicide, and follows her two close friends and their two daughters. What comes from going through Noelle's effects - finding a partial letter and a name - is that they begin to realize that they didn't know Noelle at all! Noelle was the midwife with secrets, each one nearly as unbelievable as the previous one. I felt smug to have anticipated what was coming, even as I decided the story was a bit far-fetched. But I definitely didn't see the ending! This is a well-written, great read.

Linda's score: 4.3/5.0

Today Dan went to the grocery store and saw that quite a few items are still out of stock: yeast, toilet paper, paper towels. Thank goodness we don't need any of these things. Other items in low supply are tuna and flour. I'm grateful that Dan cooks, and only two of us are in our household. Truly, thank heaven for these blessings. And that I memorized Psalm 91! That's a real achievement for someone my age! 😊 Linda

7 comments:

  1. The "chaos" of all your sewing room projects is amazingly well organized and contained. Wish I could achieve that when I'm working on a big scrap project. Sorry to hear your Bermina is on the fritz at the moment. My Janome will be going in for servicing as soon as I can get an appointment as it is skipping stitches very badly while free motion quilting. Seems that the top thread tensioner is not working correctly. I hope it is fixable. I love the beautiful texture your quilting is having on your temperature quilt. It's truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, distraction reminds a problem for me too! I thought at the beginning of this lockdown I'd get so much done! Hah!
    Yeast continues to be sold out in my grocery also. I looked on the Red Star Yeast site and it's due to supply/demand. They can't keep up with the demand. They have a nice writeup about it. People who never bake bread are now baking bread I guess.
    I like your rug start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda my sewing room looks chaotic like yours at the moment :-)
    I am sewing up my selfmade fabrics (made out of scraps) and using them up means making purses, bags etc. It's fun but it also makes a lot of chaos with all the fabric, zippers etc. etc.
    When I've done with that, I want to finish the 2 babyquilts because the backfabric arrived this week. I really start to love these 2 quilts and hope the receivers will love them as much as I do.
    How are you and Dan doing? Hope you are both healthy. Here it is still very slow going but this Monday the gardenshops and do it yourself shops could open again. The children will go back to school on 11th May. A friend and I intended to go to the festival of Quilts in Birmingham this year, but it was cancelled and then we also have planed and booked already the accomodations and car for a one week vacation in Cornwall. But as it looks now we cannot go because of the Corona, but we will wait until the airline cancelles our flight, so we will get back the money, hopefully.
    Take care
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember very well that you're planning a ScrapSnap quilt because you introduced me to the quilt-along! (How I missed mentions of it on Instagram, I don't know.) I haven't started mine yet and may not for quite a while, but I've started seeing what others are making and they're beautiful quilt tops.

    Congratulations on your continued progress with your temperature quilt! Tell me more about using wool batting ... How do you care differently for a quilt made with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I just love your temperature quilt. I need to get mine out and try to get back to it. Love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. post a comment was not on the uk music....so my comment is here and I think you are great !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am head over heels in love with both your improv blocks and your temperature quilt -- both are so beautiful, and so different! I give you permission to work on as many different projects as you want, since clearly this method pays off for you. I hope your Bernina is back in working order for you soon. You may be able to find a replacement food controller on eBay or something if you can't get one from your dealer right now. Good that you have the Featherweight to use in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin