Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hand Applique

There isn't much about quiltmaking that I don't like, and there are so many techniques to try. For hand applique alone there are many great methods! Designs traced with a light box or using a clear vinyl overlay, freezer paper templates on the bottom or on top, glued under edges using glue stick or liquid glue, template plastic for applique shapes, needleturn, and back basted applique. I've tried them all, and each one has its advantages.

Today I used the back-basted applique method, a technique popularized by Jeana Kimball, for this 4-1/2" X 4-1/2" (unfinished) block which is one of four outer motifs for my Snowflake Medallion quilt. This little leaf unit is 1/8th of the center medallion. I wanted to give it a go on a small bit before tackling the 20" X 20" center, and I'm pleased with the result. 

2 comments:

  1. It's turned out beautifully! I can't wait to get started on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful, Linda. So neat and perfect. I love the colours, too.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin