Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Party Week

This has been party week in The Villages. Most organizations, clubs, and neighborhoods party this now because many residents are leaving to travel north to spend holidays with family. Not us. We're here sort of twiddling our thumbs because even our regular activities are suspended, unless substitute instructors are found.

Monday evening was our gathering for the Central Florida MQG. The whole post about it is here, but I wanted to share this picture. Of course we took a serious picture first, but this one was the most fun.

Those who wanted could bring a gift to swap. My gift to share was one of the new 45mm endurance rotary blades by Olfa. I bought one for myself and look forward to determining if indeed, it stays sharper longer. The gift I brought home was this ruler. I don't know a thing about it!

At our line dancing holiday party on Tuesday morning at 8:30 am (we begin dancing at 7:30 am), besides sharing good eats, we gift our volunteer instructors to thank them for a year's worth of their donated time. While a card and monetary donation are the custom, I usually step outside the box to make something for each of them. This year Helen - who learns new line dances, practices, and then teaches and leads our Line Dance for Exercise class - received this ornament wall hanging. I made several of these and had fun quilting them. The pattern is a freebie on Bernina's blog, and was designed by Lee Heinrich.

Rosemary - who dances alongside Helen and runs the music - received a wristlet, something she told me last year that she would like to have. Isn't it especially nice to make a gift you know someone wants?!

The only other sewing I've done is to piece a fifth 24" X 24" block for the Wayward Transparency Quilt Along.

Can you see where I had to "make" fabric? I didn't have enough of the middle value to cut the size squares needed, so I pieced two blocks. Hopefully, the piecing isn't too noticeable.

While I have no doubt that everyone else is making one large quilt, I on the other hand will be making five small quilts! Truthfully, the thought of sandwiching, quilting, and binding five quilts doesn't sound like fun at all, but I know they'll make an impact hanging on the wall above the sliding glass doors.

On Saturday I'm going caroling with a group from church who will visit several assisted living places. Then, the following Wednesday (20th), I'm joining my ukulele-playing friends for "Ukulele on the Square." We'll be at Market Square at Sumter Landing on Wednesday morning at 9 am.
photo courtesy of Ron Clark
Can you imagine this square filled with a couple hundred ukulele-players, and singers? Anyone can join as together we sing Christmas songs and a few non-Christmasy songs following lyrics shown on a large screen. This is a first-time activity for The Villages, and it's expected to be a big one! I'm only hoping the weather isn't rainy or cold. Even 40-degrees (which it has been lately) is cold here! Linda

7 comments:

  1. I hope you'll share the square filled with singers and ukuele players. It sounds so fun. Enjoy your singing and playing. I have zero musical abilities so am envious of those who do. Love that giant ornament quilt too. Your friends are very lucky to receive such nice handmade gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even begin to imagine all those ukuleles, but it sounds like you're having way too much fun for such a hectic season,lol! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40F is cold in any language to me! And here I was thinking its always warm and balmy in Florida! All your sewing is lovely, but I especially love the ornament mini! Helen looks very pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look as if you are having a blast at your parties. Those "special" gifts are really special indeed. Love the Christmas ornament and the very useful wristlet. I'd like to be near and hear a couple hundred ukulele-players when you get together. That will be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Musical Wednesday sounds like great fun and bound to be lively! Party on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like lots of fun! Love your handmade gifts and anxious to see your 5 minis hanging!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun week of events. Things have already slowed down here, and should be even slower next week. I think your ukulele crowd sounds as fun as Merry Tuba Christmas! (and a lot more singable)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin