Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Madrona Road Challenge Quilt

The Michael Miller Fabrics "Madrona Road Challenge," has been the focus of my quilting for a couple months. Since Central Florida MQG members received fabric packets on December 5, I have been intent on designing, piecing, and quilting. I FMQed the BQ quilt, my first finish of 2013, as a warm-up to this one.
Photo taken at Wildwood Country Resort
I named my 39-1/2" X 49-1/2" quilt "Buckles and Belts" because the chevron and solid diagonal prints weave in and out of blocks that look like buckles. The woven affect was accomplished, in part, with hand appliqué.
39-1/2" X 49-1/2"
Top right.


After completing all the machine quilting using 50-weight Auriful thread in several different colors (white, blue, gold, black), I big stitch hand quilted the solid strips, using several colors of DMC #8 perle cotton.

Center quilting. 

Lower left corner quilting.

Several purchased prints ended up mostly on the back!



I loved being able to take these outdoor photos of "Buckles and Belts" early Sunday morning while the air was thick with fog. These are the grounds where our church is renting a community room for worship. The church is Live Oaks Community Church. Oddly enough, the church name came before anyone knew the place we would meet for worship would be on grounds that are thick with moss-laden live oak trees! Every Sunday we get to drive up to the building beneath a beautiful canopy of live oaks and dripping moss.
Photo taken at Wildwood Country Resort
Anyway, the rest of the challenge story is that MQG quilters who complete their project by January 31 will have their project considered for inclusion in a display at the Michael Miller Fabrics booth at QuiltCon on February 21-24, in Austin, Texas.

It's pretty great that Michael Miller Fabrics gave away all this fabric to MQGers here in the US and around the world! Now, check out the rest of the wonderful, finished challenge projects on the Flickr site. Linda

24 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt. Your woven buckle and belt design is perfect for this fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is FABULOUS! I am sure this will be a contender if not THE quilt in their booth ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunner! Did you design this quilt yourself? Your FMQ is getting better and better. Did you use your Pfaff or the 440? I'll keep my fingers crossed that your quilt will be included in the display. Otherwise they will need their head examined ;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my own design. Though, the block was pictured in Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Blocks" and that was my inspiration. I drafted the block, cut plastic templates, sewed, unsewed, resewed and added a little hand appliqué to finish the top. I sit-down quilted it on my Pfaff Grand Quilter.

      Delete
  4. Love your quilt - adore the quiltig! - and what a gorgeous photo of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is AWESOME. If this doesn't hang in the M booth at QuiltCon, I'm giving up on of these challenges! Great site for photos too.

    btw, are you going to QuiltCon? Emily and Leila are from our group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't I wish I was going to QuiltCon! But sadly, I am not.

      Delete
  6. love, Love, LOVE this quilt! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, that is so wonderful! I love the back as much as I love the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for including the up-close-and-personal pics of your incredible quilting on this fabulous quilt, Linda. I'm with Doris, is this doesn't go in the booth, I may give up on challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pattern! Did you design it? I love the label! Did you make it and print it at home? I bet this will get picked:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I designed the label on my MacBook using Pages software. Then, I printed it on Printed Treasures. After removing the paper backing, I edged it with Madrona Road fabric selvages. Then I hand stitched it to the quilt back.

      Delete
  10. This will be chosen, for sure. It is a wonderful quilt! I love the way the pieces seem to weave in and out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous and what a great name for it. Love the setting for the photos.Your quilting is awesome-thanks for the close ups.This has to be chosen for display in the booth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely serene looking place you chose to show your quilt. Doesn't the quilting just make it. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow as usual another beautiful quilt. I loved the simplicity of the quilt although I know it was anything but simple. The quilting was really beautiful and the label very unique. Once again you produced a beautiful quilt and did such justice to the fabric and the name really suited it. Good Luck in winning. Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, I love it! Fabulous design, and of course your quilting really makes the whole thing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, it's wonderful!! You've definitely gotten your quilting groove back - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a spectacular and intriguing design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect, Linda! You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this quilt so. very. much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Linda, WOW is all I can say, with a couple of squeals of excitement. Sooo good. I'm so excited for you. Fantastic design, great use of fabric and the quilting- well, inspired.
    You must be so happy with how this quilt has turned out.
    Congratulations, I sure hope this quilt is included in the booth display.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that quilt is so neat! I bet they pick your quilt to be displayed.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin