Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Satchel It

This is the third time, I've made this "Satchel It" purse pattern by Nancy Ota. I always get compliments on mine when I carry it, so I thought it would be a nice gift for someone special.

The only thing missing yet is a pull for the zipper tab. That will be a colorful piece of ultrasuede.
I like to make the purse with old jeans. When you use the jean pockets on the exterior, you get two extra pockets for a total of eight pockets! And jean pockets are the perfect size for a cell phone.
I like that the pattern has lots of inside pockets too - you can create as many as six of them. It's great to make them with clear vinyl, so you can see what's inside.

Here I'm sewing pre-made double wide binding to the edges of the vinyl.
With a little home-made cording (I use Susan Cleveland's Piping Hot Binding tool), you can really spiff-up the look of the purse. This binding is a bias cut rainbow stripe.
The Satchel It pattern calls for petscreen. I most often use black petscreen purchased from the local Lowes home improvement store.
Take a look inside the purse. See all the pockets? There's also a nice firm bottom (don't we wish we all had one?) made from a piece of foam core covered with fabric.
Five hours of sewing time, but I'm really not counting. The recipient is worth every second.

3 comments:

  1. What a great bag! It uses so many tools and materials I've never tried - I think I'll just admire your work without trying to imitate it. (Loved your 'cheeky' comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and what an interesting tool to make binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bag is very professional, the little extra touches you have included make it special indeed. If your friend isn't appreciative enough keep me in mind!!!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin