Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Flaunt - Stockings & Bub's Quilt Top

These Christmas stockings with yo-yos are the July BOM in the "Season of Grace" project being co-coordinated by author Emilie Richards and quilter Pat Sloan. One of my stockings is to swap with my BOM buddy, Mary.

Pat didn't post the August BOM until yesterday, so I guess that means she's just as busy a quilter as the rest of us!And, I'm working on another baby quilt. I've never needed to make baby quilts for anyone in the family and now we have a family that's blossoming!

This baby quilt is for our grandson - our first birth grandchild. Bub is due in October, to mum and dad who live in New South Wales, Australia. This American Nana is has been suffering from missing out on pregnancy. Thank goodness for Skype and webcams, and digital photos.

I'll meet Bub (his real name is a secret until he's born) for the first time when he's three weeks old.

Mum (our DD) and dad have been particular about colors not to include in Bub's quilt. So, feeling color-constrained, I opted for blues and browns. The fun came when choosing Aussie animals to machine-applique to make this 45" X 50" top.
Naturally, no Aussie animal quilt is complete without koalas.
The critter designs came from several sources: the Internet, an issue of Australia Patchwork and Quilting, and Down Under Di who drew this cutie herself and emailed it to me.
Thank you, Di!

I'll be sandwiching soon, using my favorite Cream Rose batting, by Mountain Mist. Then, some quilting that may include eucalyptus leaves, and Aussie animals' silhouettes.
Visit Cinzia's blog for a complete list of bloggers participating in "Friday Flaunt."

5 comments:

  1. I love the chubby koala sitting on the bottom best. I am sure bub will love it too.
    the Friday Flaunt is the one time I actually give myself to simply sit and surf and I love it. thanks for posting you have some fun ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovey quilt Linda. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with it.

    I agree with Cinzia, the Friday Flaunt is the one time I cruise blogs "properly". The other times I'm skimming through on readers, and miss so much because actual blogs aren't opened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and Brown work so very well together, and you can't go wrong with cute Aussie animals, now can you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute stocking blocks and so is the new baby quilt. Congratulations on the new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby quilt is lovely, as are the stockings... a very productive week it looks like!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin