Thursday, November 16, 2023

Feelin' Groovy

Last Saturday, at our Central Florida MQG (CFMQG) meeting, members shared their finished 2023 challenge quilts which you can see here. I've been keeping mine under wraps... until now. 


For our CFMQG challenge, we had four options to choose from. I selected "half-rectangle triangles" (HRTs) which I had never made before. I bought and used Latifah Saafir's HuRTy ruler (see what she did with the name? The letters HRT are capitalized), and I found it a great way to make uniform HRTs. By the way, Latifah has several HuRTy videos available for understanding her cutting logic and how to use the ruler.

I had such a great time making this quilt! It had me "feelin' groovy!" And yes, I still make big quilts. This one is 67½" X 84". 
Feelin' Groovy, 67½" X 84"

I was able to use set-aside blocks that I had thought to use in an entire quilt pieced with quarter-square Drunkards Path blocks, and Triangle-in-a-Square blocks. When I put those blocks on the design wall, and then began adding two sizes of HRTs - each pieced with a solid and a stripe (I had many more striped fabrics in my stash than I realized!) - I could almost feel maximalism coming together! 

QuiltCon 2024 (Raleigh, NC) will show a Maximalist Exhibit (for exhibit only; NOT judged). I thought, "This is the time to give maximalism a real go." 

For backing, this stashed yardage print was perfect. It's a Libs Elliot piece purchased a half dozen years ago.

Bonus: I was able to use more leftover blocks in the lower middle strip that I bordered with a black and white striped print.

Even after considering the busy design of the quilt top, I knew simple straight-line quilting wouldn't be considered maximal. So, I gave the quilt lots of customization with walking foot quilting, ruler quilting, and free motion quilting.
quilt back is a Libs Elliott print

A variety of 50-weight thread colors are on top, and all the bobbin thread is the same neutral color. Admittedly, it took longer to quilt this than it did to piece to the top. I'm so glad to own a Bernina 770QE with an 11" harp space to accommodate quilting such a large quilt. And yes, I buried hundreds of thread tails. Wouldn't do it any other way than with a Sench side-threading needle.

To finish the quilt - still thinking "more is more" - I made several sizes of circles, using only polkadot prints. Again, I was surprised - how many spotted prints I have in my ever-dwindling stash.

I used Appli-pops to make circles, and then cut a piece of batting to put behind each. Not only did I want to prevent shadowing through a circle, but I also wanted the dots to be trapuntoed/appear dimensional. Fifty-eight circles are hand-appliquéd to the quilt top, using 100-weight Aurifil thread. 

This particular area of the quilt gave me its name inspiration. I thought the Drunkards Path blocks and the circle dots looked like a record. Sing along: 🎶 Lookin' for fun, and feelin' groovy! 🎶

The final more came in the binding. As I was auditioning several black and white stripes, trying to decide which to use, it came to me: "Use two!" So with a little calculating, I determined how long to cut each strip, and then sewed them together. I love the effect!

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this finish. Feelin' Groovy is one of four quilts I submitted to QuiltCon 2024. Entrants are supposed to hear, via email, about our entries by mid-December: "We're sorry... " or "Congratulations!..." 

Special thanks to my friend Donna and her husband, who were quilt-holders in front of the beautiful Senna tree next to their house. Those vivid yellow blooms are glorious!

🎶 Life I love you. All is groovy." 🎶 Linda

19 comments:

  1. Your Feelin' Groovy is just so fun in every way! It's definitely maximalist! Sure hope it gets to travel to QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling Groovy - it certainly is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this QuiltCon entry. It's a fun quilt to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your entry. An amazing quilt, full of colour, HRTs, spots... so much to look at! I like the b&w additions. Did you document how long it took from start to finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic quilt! I look forward to seeing it in Raleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is stunning. Congrats on such a beautiful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love a multicoloured, multidimensional, maximalist anything. This quilt makes my heart sing. I still marvel at your ability to do such gorgeous quilting on a domestic machine. Love love love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Honestly, I didn't know I'd like maximalism so much, until I made this quilt! It was truly delightful to put together, as it almost "told" me what I should do next - a very satisfying way to make a quilt. As for quilting, starting to quilt is really difficult for me. Like most other quilters, I always hesitate, unsure about WHAT to quilt. But always, always, my instincts come through, and once I plunge in, I'm on my way... often for dozens of hours, but always doing the "right" thing. Investing in the right quilting designs, and time, always results in a wonderful pay-off. I really appreciate your lovely comments.

      Delete
  8. Such an amazing accomplishment with this quilt! Even the back is stunning! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments, Cindy! (Did you know you're a "no-reply commenter"?) I appreciate your affirmation of the time I put into making this quilt, and like you, I'm a bit surprised myself at how good the back looks. Truly, doesn't that fabric look like it was designed for such a quilt front? Definitely happy serendipity.

      Delete
  9. I would say “Congratulations! Your entry has been unanimously accepted!” 🤗 very cool design and beautiful colors and attention to over the top detail! 🥰🥰🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pamela, don't I wish you were a QuiltCon juror! :-) I know that right now, about six or seven people are looking at all the QuiltCon entries, and narrowing down their choices. Us entrants just wait. I don't want to even think about it! But thank you for your acceptance, and affirmation of "more" as "over the top detail." I love that! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Your challenge quilt is such fun! And your applique circles really enhance the design :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most definitely GROOVY! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You put so much into this lively quilt that it really meets the bar for maximalism. It turned out so well. And the back- such fun to look at. Fingers crossed for QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woooow! Wow, wow, wow!!! So detailed, complex and exciting, Linda!!! And you had me fooled with the back--thought it was 2 sided until I read your narration! I also enjoyed looking through all the other entries for your group's challenge. I had to wonder, can one really put 12 wt thread through a longarm?--on Virginia B.'s quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feeling Groovy is an example of the fun you have with your talent. It’s beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! It's nice of you to think I have talent... though I do question myself often! Thanks for thinking "it's beautiful." I'm pleased with it, and that's a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is stunning, Linda! I'm not much of a maximalism girl, either, but it is very satisfying to regard your work here. There's so much to look at, and it's fun to see how you quilted each section. I really hope to see this beauty in person in February!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin