Sunday, April 30, 2023

End of Month

A brief recap of April's doin's... 

I'm getting the hang of fabric yardage tracking in 2023, as I've worked out how to fairly accurately calculate the actual amount of fabric used (includes fabric seam allowances). 

Though I bought four yards of fabric to continue my Two-Step: Dancing With the Wall improv quilt (which I haven't worked on for two weeks), and backing for it, I still managed to use-up more yardage (right column: 11.16 yards) than I took in (left column: 9.43 yards). 

Most of the right side "use-up" column of the spreadsheet was spent making scrappy Harvest Moon-like blocks, and piecing a backing. 

Also, I counted ONE Posh Penelope block on the use-up side. 

Before getting too far into cutting out fabrics for 42 blocks needed for the Posh Penelope quilt, I thought I'd sew a test block to see if I cut correctly. I did. And I learned that this block needs undistracted attention to make precise Quick Curve Ruler cuts, and piecing. I think I'm gonna like the quilt.
Posh Penelope quilt block, 12" X 12" unfinished

Book Recommendation
Miss You
 by Kate Eberlen follows the lives of two British people - Tess and Gus - who first exchange a brief passing-by conversation while traveling in Italy. They each go their separate ways, Tess back to the UK where her mother dies and she must care for a younger sister with Asperberer's syndrome; and Gus returning to the UK to reluctantly follow his father's wishes to study and become a doctor.

Each of them makes choices in their jobs and love-lives, with a very occasional accidental encounter, though they're unaware.

Sixteen years later, another chance shared moment at a rock concert - she the person who faints; he the doctor - leads them to a brief connection, followed by another unexpected meeting in another country. 

While the storyline was pleasant enough (though I'm a prude when it comes to the carefree sex in this story) with an thought-provoking underlying theme about our possible encounters with a person who's our "meant-to-be" love, the story was slow-paced. 

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0 

During the month of April I listened to eight audiobooks. These four titles received my top scores of 4.0 or more:
  1. Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
  2. Thank You for Listening by Julia Whalen
  3. If the Shoe Fits by Julie Murphy
  4. The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain
Jody, a local friend who's in my Wednesday morning Zoom Bible study of The Chosen, recently shared the picture below. It's a great visual about our sometimes-inability to know how or what to pray for.
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for: But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words. Romans 8:26
Live blessedly, Linda

8 comments:

  1. Your posh Penelope block is very pretty! I love the white/black background fabric. The prayers picture is so spot on 😇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! I am pleased with the PP block, though a little overwhelmed to think of making 42 of them! One took a couple hours at the machine. But then, why am I in a hurry, right? I'm using mostly text prints as background for these, with a print repeated only twice, at the most. Agree about the prayer picture - spot on!

      Delete
  2. I'd say April was a very good month for fabric usage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Posh Penelope block is lovely Linda, and will make a great quilt! And good for you for getting fabric used and not stored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color selection.. looks like spring!
    I have a seven year old granddaughter named Penelope! Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new Penelope block - I've never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Linda - that Penelope block is really pretty!
    Also I am not a very spiritual person but the graphic you shared is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Posh Penelope block!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin