Sunday, May 7, 2023

A Week of Making

This past week found me with an unexpected opportunity to take a virtual workshop with Sheila Frampton-Cooper through the South Florida MQG. A friend in that chapter forwarded me an email, letting me know that a couple of their members had to back out of the Saturday-Sunday (three hours each day) workshop. Was I interested? Definitely. The workshop wasn't one I was familiar with: Appliqué + Piecing = New Possiblities. 

Basically, we learned Caryl Bryer Fallert Gentry's technique for fine machine appliqué to create flowy designs that may include lots of detail. Here's an example of Caryl's work.

 This piece made by Sheila.

We could create Sheila's simple workshop design, or create something of our own. Since I don't have an I-pad, and therefore do not have Procreate - the software Sheila used to demonstrate how to design - I decided to make the sample design Sheila provide.

The process is pretty detailed, using freezer paper; a paintbrush and starch; an iron; then glue and iron; followed by machine-stitching a fine zig-zag with polyester thread... all a bit futzy.

When I got to placing fabrics, I decide to use a few gradated/ombré fabrics which would be really effective in a large quilt. My piece is only 7” x 9” - a nice trial size, and a good reference piece in case I ever want to make a large quilt. 

Sheila said that one of her large quilts took her six months to make, working on it every day. I cannot imagine devoting that much time to one quilt - that's not how I enjoy quiltmaking. Still, I learned something new, and that's the point. 

Wanting to move along on my improv quilt, I began joining components in my Two-Step: Dancing With the Wall quilt. I'm starting to "see" something in this design, and will come up with an appropriate title for the piece. 

Taking a break from the mental strain of improv, I sewed a new bag. For several months this PDF download has been on my to-make list. The pattern is Sunshine Crossbody Pouch, a freebie from BagStockDesigns.

Having previously bought and made a Bagstock Designs “Selene” bag pattern, I know Namrata writes very clear instructions. Happily, her bag patterns are surprisingly inexpensive! Here's the Selene bag I made that I love and use.

To make the Sunshine Crossbody PouchI began by cutting the middle front and middle back pieces from white muslin, adding a ½" to each side. Then, starting at the bottom, I covered each piece with selvage strips. When the pieces were covered with selvages, I added SF101 fusible to the back. Then I cut the piece to the accurate pattern size. 

Selvages came from this large bag into which I've been tossing selvages - and pulling out for bags, pillows, and two skirts! - for years. Using only aqua-colored selvages for this pouch hardly made a dent in what I have!

Note: If you're thinking to save selvages, be sure to correctly cut them from your yardage.

Add ½" of the print fabric to the selvage. 

To use selvages, layer them from the bottom to the top, topstitching along the bottom edge of each selvage strip. If you cut off only the selvage, you won't have material to overlap and topstitch to add the next selvage. 

In addition to selvages, I used cork I'd won in a Brewer Sewing Instagram giveaway, so this was an inexpensive make - free pattern, free selvedges, free cork! The only items I bought were ¾" hardware - two D-rings and two swivel hooks.

The right side of the exterior has a zipper pocket, perfect for my I-Phone 14. 

The opposite side of the exterior is plain, but I added a clear vinyl pocket, edged with bias tape, to hold the ID card that gets me into our community recreation centers. Very handy!

The inside has a zipper pocket on one side. Just below the zipper is where I sewed my Flourishing Palms label.

On the opposite side I added a slip pocket. (Susan S. @patchworknplay see the orange tissue holder you made and sent me years ago? I still use it, and think of you. Thank you!)

My Bernina 770 handled the cork very well. I used a jeans needle to sew through four layers of cork in the strap!

Now I want to make bags in more colors! Don't you think orange should be next? (That 22 foot-long orange wall is in our living room. I love it!)

Book Recommendation
The Villa
 by Rachel Hawkins mostly takes place in Orvieto, Italy, in Villa Aestas, an off-the-beaten path authentic Italian home. The villa has a long history, including where a group of rock-star musician-druggie-types met, and culminated in a murder.

Emily and Chess have been friends since elementary school. Now Emily is recovering from a long bout of unexplained poor health, and the sudden departure of her husband of seven years, who has filed for divorce. Emily is meant to be writing another book, as is Chess who's a popular self-help author and social media icon. A two-week trip to Italy seems like a good way for them to reconnect and write. 

However, Emily is intrigued by what transpired in the villa in 1974. She finds a copy of the internationally best-selling book, Lilith Rising, written by a woman who was there in 1974, and discovers that it holds clues about what really happen. Suddenly, Emily craves knowing more, and she wants to write. But can she be true to herself, when Chess wants to collaborate with her? 

Linda's score: 3.9/5.0

Our daughter, who lives in Kansas City, sent this photo. It's a long view, from a soccer field (where our grandson was playing), of the new Kansas City Quilt Museum being built on the western outskirt of the city. 

Though it looks a little "warehouse-y," no doubt the space will be sub-sectioned into areas for various quilt displays. It's great that it's centrally-located for Midwesterners. The museum is expected to open in the fall of 2024. Details here.

Linda

10 comments:

  1. Nice you've been able to take a couple of classes lately. And yay for the bag-making. It turned out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice size project to learn a new technique on, and you were able to jump in at the last minute. The method does sound fiddly, but the results are excellent. Your improv is shaping up well! And the bag is so cute. You stay busy in the best ways possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy week you've had! That class looks lots of fun, and I love your bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! It's nice of you to comment. Indeed, the days have been rushing past, though I was happy to have the opportunity to learn from Sheila. I'd heard so many good things about her teaching skills. I'm glad I could learn something new from her. And thanks for liking my bag too! It's been nice to carry, and I'm already plotting what the next one will look like. Until then, though, I'm rushing through this week, prepping for a Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild retreat that's Friday, Saturday, Sunday, into Monday morning. Lots to prep and plan for. Hope I don't forget to pack clothes! Ha, ha.

      Delete
  4. I find those Bagstock Designs patterns very good too. I've learned a lot from using them. The clear card holder was a good innovation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your desire to learn new quilting techniques. I just want to use up my stash by finding ways to play with all the fun prints I have. Nothing terribly innovative but it's all in the fabrics for me. Your bag is wonderful and so you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I say that your bag is a corker?!😆 Not sure if you know that term, but trust me it’s complementary! Susan -PatchworkNPlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good crossbody bag and yours is so fun with the selvedges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a cute bag that I went and downloaded the pattern. Thanks for showing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool to hear there's a quilt museum coming to KC!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin