Friday, April 14, 2023

Scarping Continues

Not really wanting to keep sharing the same thing over and over... I am sharing the same thing again (over and over) - my scrap quilt project based on the free Harvest Moon quilt tutorial by Megan Collins. I know. I've been working on it for weeks. But, the end is in sight. Nine block spaces remain to be filled.

A stack of nine cut-out units await piecing. 

By end-of-day today (Friday), I'll be able to finally arrange all 50 blocks, and take them off the design wall in an orderly manner, for piecing later. Later too, of course, I'll cut setting triangles for the sides. But after all this "fabric-making," those setting triangles will be easy!

Those scrappy blocks are coming down just in time for Saturday and Sunday afternoon, four-hour (total of eight hours) virtual workshop with one of the reigning queens of improv, Irene Roderick @hixsonir! Seventeen of us from two Florida MQG chapters (Jacksonville and Central Florida) are taking Irene's Two Step: Dancing With the Wall workshop, and will use only two solid colors to design improvisationally. I'm excited!

Painter's Palette Sachet (left) and Patriot (right)



My two selected fabrics have me going out on a limb. These are Painter's Palette solids in the colors Sachet, the palest lavender; and Patriot, an intense blue. 

They're definitely not my usual colors, but in person, I like the way they vibrantly play off of one another. The intense blue seems to draw out the blue tones of the pale lavender. 



Dear Mr. B






Speaking of "coming down" and "going out on a limb"...

Sadly, Saturday morning marks the moment we'll make our final farewells to our front yard baby, Mr. B, our very special Bismarck palm.






He just keeps looking sadder and sadder as his core growth has visibly disappeared, and the rot of death travels downward. We are going to miss this palm.

So much. 

😢


Book Recommendations
Cocoa Beach
 by Beatriz Williams is a title I picked up because of its Florida connection. The story takes place between 1919 WWI France to 1922 Cocoa Beach, Miami, and Maitland. 

Virginia travels from New York to France to be a Red Cross ambulance driver. There she meets a British army surgeon, Simon, who sweeps her off her feet, and doesn't introduce her to his family under after their private wedding. 

In present day 1922, Virginia has traveled with their three year-old daughter to the boomtown of Cocoa Beach, Florida, where she intends to settle Simon's estate. Simon has died in a fire at his citrus plantation home while trying to rebuild his family's lost fortune. While in Florida, she again encounters Simon's twin brother, and beautiful, carefree and fun-loving sister, both of whom want to introduce Virginia to the citrus groves, beaches, and Prohibition   along the coast.

Between Virginia's own secret knowledge about her father's recent conviction for murder, and the sense that she's being watched, she's sure things are not as they seem and that she and her daughter aren't safe. 

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0

If The Shoe Fits
 by Julie Murphy is a modern day fairy tale about Cindy and Henry.

It's been a number of years since Cindy's mother died and her dad remarried. Cindy was welcomed into the arms of a reality TV producer step-mother, and two step-sisters born nine months apart, but identified as twins. Cindy still hasn't come to grips with her father's fatal car accident when she was in high school. 

Cindy has now graduated from a NYC college with a fashion degree in shoes... her biggest weakness. However with no job, and a stepmother who wants help with her triplets, Cindy travels to Los Angeles where she unexpectedly finds herself interested in being on her stepmother's TV show - Before Midnight - as one of 24 women vying to be chosen as "the one" by a handsome bachelor. When Cindy meets the man - Henry - she realizes she's already acquainted with him. What follows is Henry's on-camera wooing and courtship of every potential partner, and Cindy's unexpected, plus-size-woman rise to social media fame. Are the women on the show for the $100,00 winner's payout? Or do some of them want more from a very public relationship? 

This was a predictable, easy-listening book that was nice for its total escapism. Though I learned a bit too... am I the only one who's never heard of making the best grilled cheese sandwich with mayonnaise? 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Recently a friend thanked me for helping her, and gave me this framed piece. Kathy made it herself using two chunks of colored glass, two buttons, and a little drawing and lettering. Very special, and so cute! It now graces my sewing room wall. 

"In the crazy quilt of life
I'm so glad you're in my block of friends." 

I'll say the same about you, my blog-reader friends. Thank you for reading and commenting! Linda

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are losing Mr. B. Are you going to plant another palm? We just planted 3 (!) Sylvester palms in our front yard.

    I've heard of mayo on grilled cheese but I've never tried it! Everyone has said it is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your project fabrics. It will be great. Sorry about your palm tree. It is lovely and it's sad when you have to get rid of a growing thing. Have fun in your workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh... bye, bye, Mr. B. Boohoo. Looking at your blocks on the wall, I'm realizing what you noted before about the potential weight of this quilt with all the seams. It's a lot, but it's looking lovely. Nope, you are not alone not knowing about mayo! Your little gift is just the best. Happy stitching, and enjoy your workshop. A real challenge ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how much you hate to see the palm tree go. We're taking down a big tree in our backyard next month but I'll be happy to see it go because it's a very very messy tree. Have a great workshop. I love how you've been embracing improv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anxious to see what you create in class with Irene. That sounds like a fun day! And I have heard of grilled cheese with mayo but I'll stick with butter, thank you. ;-) haha Funny! oh and so sorry again about your bismark. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another eventful week for you! And I love the little piece your friend made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking for a copy of a pattern called The Stunning Stable Bag. I found a reference on your blog from December 2009. The quilt store that had the patterns went out of business. Do you have any idea where I can get a copy of this pattern? I would even be willing to buy a used copy. Thank you so much for any help you may offer. judydouglas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's a hard part of craft blogging, is working on larger projects feels like you are sharing the same thing over and over, but you need to share something to keep up with the blogging rhythm! Maybe that's a motivator behind the rise of "easy one hour" projects on Pinterest? Your opening paragraph has me pondering now, over my morning coffee, what it means to be a slow, intentional crafter, in an increasingly fast paced space.

    I love your scrappy blocks, they are looking fabulous! They are so bright and cheery and definitely deserving of multiple appearances in my Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little framed piece of artwork is so cute! I'm glad you are making so much progress with your scraps! Keep on scarping. :)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin