Thursday, November 3, 2022

Spiral Quilting by the Dozen

Without many quilt-y things demanding attention these days, I'm catching up with three quilt tops that need quilting. Here's good progress on the first one which should be completed today. 

It's an original design with 12 charcoal-colored linen fabric squares pieced in the top. Drawing a circle in the center of each square by tracing the end cap of a spool of Aurifil thread with a white pencil, I used my walking foot to quilt 12 spirals with 12 different colors and weights of thread (50-, 40- and 28-weights). Overlapping spirals make lovely texture with Quilter's Dream Select Cotton batting.

I'll have to say I'm feeling pretty comfortable spiral quilting! Practice helps! If you haven't tried it, but would like to, be sure to check out my blog post: "10 Tips for Spiral Quilting Success." 

Though charcoal linen would look good as binding, I don't have enough. Not sure what the edges will be finished with. 

At our weekly Big Cypress Quilters meeting we got to see examples of the finished ribbons our chapter members made for the upcoming January 27-28-2023 "Showcase of Quilts," the biannual quilt show of Quilting Guild of The Villages.

On two occasions, we spent time measuring, cutting, sewing, and gluing to make more than 120 ribbons that will be awarded at the show. We're very grateful that one of our members, Peggy, works for a custom embroidery business and did all the embroidered text for us. She saved our guild a lot of money! 

As you can see, this show celebrates the 30th year of Quilting Guild of The Villages. We were told that 485 quilts have been entered - more than expected! Three of them are mine. 

Next Tuesday Big Cypress Quilters will host a baby shower for Children's Home Society of Florida. Besides mine, there will be a whole stable-full of Patchwork Ponies donated. Pictures will be taken! 

A few people have commented that they didn't realize how large a Patchwork Pony is:

H14" X W13" X D2½"

Book Recommendation
23 Summers
 by Erin Hilderbrand has entertainment value, but not a lot else. If you're averse to sexual promiscuity and/or adultery, this is not the book for you. 

The story premise is based on an old Alan Alda movie, Same Time Next Year. A man and woman make a connection, and it's meaningful enough that they promise to meet again the following year, "no matter what." Thus, each year, beginning in 1992, Jake and Mallory start meeting over Labor Day weekend at her oceanside cottage on Nantucket Island... for 28 summers. Through the years, Jake goes his own way, always longing for Mallory even when he has a family. Mallory goes through men, always comparing them to Jake. No one measures-up. Yet she teaches high school English, has a son, and no one is the wiser about their relationship, including her brother and best friend. 

While listening, I found myself muttering "Stupid man." If you feel the urge to do that too, this is the book for you. 

Linda's score: 3.5/5.0

Other than quilting and listening to audiobooks, I've been regularly practicing my tenor ukulele. I love it! As I've been doing plucking drills, I'm hearing gradual improvement in my picking ability. I'm trying to memorize "Edelweiss." Learning something new is slow, but the sense of accomplishment is sure nice. 

Linda

12 comments:

  1. Love your spiral quilting! I too enjoy a good spiral, centering it around the focal point which isn't (of course) always the center of the quilt. I've not yet tried multiple overlapping spirals but I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spiral 🌀 quilting is beautiful, very talented! Those ribbons are pretty too🥰

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirals are wonderful. I love the way they invite your eyes to follow their path around the quilt. Does using linen in blocks with quilting cotton cause any problems. I have never done that because the weave and texture of linen feels different. I tend to be a chicken about mixing things.

    The prize ribbons are really cool. I've never see any this fancy at quilt shows I have attended. I just caught up with your previous post. The finished ukulele case looks great. The label is outstanding.

    It's very strange about the email snafu with the publishing company. Sorry you were given the runaround I hope you will submit the article and quilt to another company. The quilt is stunning.
    I started reading The Dead Don't Dance. Thanks for the review. It's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get one of the ribbons........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spirals. Colors are wonderful and the gray is so good with it. I have read that book and although I’m a fan of hers that one wasn’t for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spiral quilting is a delight, thank you for the link to your tips I'll definitely read up there, I'd really like to have a go at this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela Dempsey and Anonymous - Thank you both for your comments! I'm only sorry that I am unable to reply to you in person, but your Google profiles are set so I can't. But I want to acknowledge that I appreciate everything you've said, especially Anonymous that you too didn't care for this Elin Hilderbrand book. Makes me feel like I'm not alone in my somewhat harsh review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your spirals and your quilt!! I found your tutorial for spirals on Pinterest and am planning to try it out on my next studio play day 😊thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowww, you're a spiral quilting queen, Linda!!! Great ribbons! The ribbons to quilts entered ratio looks pretty high--more ribbon pats on the back to go around. Sounds good to me! I can't wait to see your big pony parade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spiral quilting is amazing and inspiring. Maybe one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love spiral quilting, but this takes it to a new level. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went back and read your spiral quilting tutorial and I think I'll try your method. I've done spirals, but it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin