Sunday, November 13, 2022

On My Design Wall and Pouches

Feeling somewhat in between projects, and still - to my surprise - looking for reasons to do handwork, I've picked up my Glitter quilt project again. This is a pattern and block found in Jen Kingwell's book Quilt Lovely. I bought the book about five years ago and attempted to machine piece a block using the paper template in the back of the book. After that failure, I crossed the project off my list... until I found the plastic template set on sale. 

Having the exact shape to cut around has made all the difference in block consistency, as I also learned a lesson about machine piecing those corner units! Don't! Now I'm only machine piecing the center section which, when it's tipped at an angle is much like piecing a nine patch block. When the center is pieced and pressed, I pencil-draw seam lines on the four corner pieces, and set it all aside for hand piecing. 

Since I've made only 74 of the 152 blocks needed for a 66" X 73" quilt, I have a way to go. I'm in no hurry  though, as I intentionally chose this for a long-term project. Maybe a 2024 finish? 

Though I have two quilt tops awaiting machine quilting, I decided to get a jump on a couple pouches for Christmas gifts. I've made this pattern before using my Grandma's vintage fabrics. Those pouches turned out so well that I decided to raid my scraps for these. They're each 7" X 11" and use a 10" zipper. 

I learned long ago that it's best to use a light-colored lining inside a pouch or bag, to make it easier to find things "in the dark." I also sewed one of my "Handmade by Linda H...." @flourishingpalms labels to the lining. 

The free pattern for "Scrappy Pouches" is a YouTube video tutorial by Just Jude Designs. 

Book Recommendation
The Water Keeper by Charles Martin is about Murphy Shepherd, a priest, living alone on an island off the east coast of Florida. He has restored an old tabby church with no parishioners, tends an orange grove, and rescues people. 

Now Murphy is mourning the loss of a friend. Intending to scatter those ashes, he travels on his Boston Whaler along Florida's intercostal waterway where crosses paths with Summer, a woman who's trying to rescue her teenaged daughter; Clay, an ex-con with a medical problem; and a Labrador he finds paddling in the ocean. Through each encounter the reader learns more about Murphy, and what's behind his aloneness and singular determination to rescue people... specifically young girls. 

I couldn't stop listening to this book! The narrator voice is the ideal intonation and cadence that make Murphy seem real. As well, since the story has bits of faith and Bible verses woven through it (not in an in-your-face way, though), it's a sensitive story with an important theme. 

I'd like to make The Water Keeper "required reading" for anyone living in Florida, as Mr. Martin gives a thorough visual picture of waterways along Florida's east coast, all the way to the Keys. By the way, Mr. Martin (age 53) lives in Jacksonville, Florida. 

This book is the first in a three-book series with The Letter Keeper next (I'm listening now), followed by The Record Keeper that was released in July. 

I can't say enough good things about the five Charles Martin books I've read thus far. I'm a huge fan! 

Linda's score: 4.7/5.0

In the current issue of Make Modern magazine, a digital publication produced in Australia, you'll find an article about temperature quilts. I am honor to have been asked to share my 2019 temperature quilt in the article. Mine is in the center of this photo.
Just have to show you my blooming African violet. Can you believe that cluster of blooms?! This plant was gifted to me in January 2020, and though I have no other houseplants, I've managed to keep it going. It's had two blooms since I received it. A few months ago I transplanted it into a larger pot and filled it with soil just for an African violet. Guess that made it happier! 
Linda

7 comments:

  1. Nice to have a project that is machine and hand work. Many times we put away a project due to struggle with it and you worked around that any made it enjoyable and resurrected it. I've made note of the pouch you tube for future reference. I picked out your temp quilt, that was a fun one to follow along on your blog. Thank you for the book recommendation. I looked at my home library and the audible one is 26 weeks out, eek, Lake County library there in Florida doesn't have it? I found that odd. I've bought it off Audible at a reasonable price.
    Rondi
    rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wOW - love the colours you've gone for with your Glitter project, just beautiful and thanks so much for the tips on piecing the blocks, that's one quilt I have marked in the book.
    I had in mind to make something for the three girls at our Christmas Day gathering, the pouches you're showing us would be ideal and a lot less work than the ones I had in mind, I like anything strippy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 'glitter' blocks look delightful, love your colours! Nice to be able to combine hand & machine together in the one block. And congrats, loved your temperature quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your glitter ✨ quilt colors are beautiful together ! Will have to try the bags 😻

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Pamela Dempsey! Once again, I really appreciate receiving your comment, but am frustrated by my inability to reply to you because your Google profile is set to "no reply-commenter." Do you ever read my comments back to you here? I'd love to know!

    Thank you for thinking my Glitter blocks are delightful! I sure think the colors are happy, and that's what it's about for me, as well as colors being suited to Florida. Actually, I wish this block was either one or the other when it comes to the technique for piecing. It's a hassle going between the machine and to hand work. I appreciate that you love my temperature quilt too. Thank you! I've been thrilled that it has received so much attention - at QuiltCon; in QuiltCon magazine; at an art gallery show in South Florida, on the MQG "Temperature Quilts" webinar; and now this. It will be seen one more time when Quilting Guild of The Villages has its biannual "Showcase of Quilts" January 27-28, 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks great, no matter the lighting. I think your tenets are very good. It will be nice to follow along to see what happens. As always, thanks for the book recommendations. I can always count on you for a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you found a way to machine piece part of that Jen Kingwell quilt. Hope you enjoy it--seems like a good project to take your time on.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin