Monday, March 7, 2022

First 2022 Finish, Kawandi

I have definitely been slower about making this year, and that's a good thing! I don't need more quilts, so it's been fine with me to not have a finish yet this year... until now. 

I began this Kawandi about a week ago. Fabric pieces around the outside edges are Candlelight Woven Mountains print in the color Ocean, the fabric designated for this Curated Quilts mini challenge. 

To meet the theme challenge of "utility," in addition to Candlelight fabric, my 14¼" X 14¼" Kawandi is made with my grandmother's vintage scraps. Each scrap print has a little bit of a similar ocean-aqua color in it. The piece is stitched with #12 Wonderfil Spagetti, color SP57. 

If it isn't accepted into Curated Quilts, I won't be unhappy. Because I'm sharing my "Big Stitch Quilting and More" lecture/workshop a couple more times this year, this piece will be another lesson sample. 

In addition to quilting and binding my Seaglass quilt, over the weekend I pin-basted two large quilts. 

This is my Finger Paints quilt top basted with Quilter's Dream Cotton Request. I finished the 67½" X 67½" top last October, during Laura Loewen's quilt-along. I'm thinking to quilt an all-over design on it, perhaps like Baptist fans or clamshells. 

And this is my 70" X 80" Inspired by Architecture Challenge Quilt basted with Quilter's Dream Puff. I'm much more unsure about how to quilt this one because the design is mostly minimal. But I must start it soon because the finished quilt is due at our Saturday, April 9 Central Florida MQG meeting. 

Book Recommendation
A Different Blue by Amy Harmon is the story of Blue Echohawk, a two year-old who was abandoned by her mother, and taken into care by Jimmy Echohawk. In his quiet way, Jimmy taught her everything he knew, including how to turn desert mesquite into sculptures. When Blue is in her last year of high school, a young British history teacher arrives who becomes influential in Blue's life, helping her past grief, anger, resentment, and a very bad attitude. Through her friendship with him, she learns to provided for herself. When her life takes another unplanned turn, she comes to realize that it's important to know who she is. It will take personal resolve and courage to face the future, and accept the family she comes from. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0
One of my blog-readers, Dar, recommended the author Mary Kay Andrews, and I'm so glad she did! The Fixer Upper was a delightful listen.

Dempsey Jo Killebrew is a young lobbyist who loses her job after a company trip to an island resort, and the subsequent political scandal. When her dad suggests she go to Guthrie, Georgia to refurbish a home he's just inherited - Birdsong - Dempsey finds herself facing a once-grand, decrepit, Pepto-pink house and neglected property. While learning about and tackling home renovations, she finds herself also tolerating an aged and eccentric distant cousin who refuses to leave Birdsong. Dempsey comes to value the support of the local father and son attorneys who handled the inheritance, especially when the FBI comes looking for information from her. Dempsey has a chance to redeem her career, and help see that justice is done, all the while wondering what she'll do when the work at Birdsong is complete.

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

I find it extremely interesting that I seem to be in a Wordle scoring rut. As much as I try, I cannot get a word in two tries - and I have seen more than one person who has been successful at that. How are you doing at Wordle? 

Linda

6 comments:

  1. Love the gentle colours in your latest kawandi Linda. And I'm enjoying your book recommendations, two more to keep an eye out for- my list at the library is quite long now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on gaining entry into the magazine, Linda. Your challenge quilt is beautiful in those soft colors and special scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing all your kawandi quilts. It's a lovely way to use those vintage fabrics too. Is there a book or video you recommend for learning to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Kawandi quilt Linda. I haven’t finished the one I started a few weeks back, had to purchase new needles. Why is it that I’m always changing my machine needles, but I’ve been using the same hand sewing needles for years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your Kawandi quilts! But this is my absolute favorite! The ocean blue edges and the soft feminine scraps are so pretty! I really want to learn to do this! YouTube here I come!
    Oh, and I too am in a 4 try rut doing Wordle! I don’t know why either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Mary Kay Andrews books and will look forward to reading that one. I am also in a Wordle rut. Some days it seems pretty easier, and other days I can't get it. I am blaming that on my impatient nature!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin