Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Showing Off!

At Saturday's Central Florida MQG meeting, some of the 12 quilters who took my January 22 "Modern Wedge Quilt" workshop, returned with their completed tops and finished quilts. Marcia is making her two sections into bolster pillows. It makes me so proud to see the results of a day of teaching and learning, and appreciate the colors and prints each quiltmaker chose to use.
L-R: Courtney, Karen T., Bonnie, Barbara, Marcia, and Donna

And though Becky wasn't in my workshop, she made a wedge quilt top too. 
Becky

I'm also sharing that my 2019 Temperature Quilt will soon be on display at the Bailey Contemporary Arts Center in Pompano Beach, Florida. 

My temperature quilt is centered in the advertising graphic! 

The exhibition begins Friday, April 1 with an opening reception from 6-10 pm. It continues through Thursday, June 23.

Plan a visit if you're in the Pompano Beach area - see the red marker on the southeast coast of Florida.

Besides me, featured artists (and their Instagram handles) are:

Patricia Auten @pattimakesquilts
Sarah Cain @sarahjeanmakes
Brigit Dermott @brigitgail
Barbara Garvine @bgarvinemiami
Jacquie Gering @jacquietps
Valerie Goodwin @valeriegoodwinart
Nicole Kaplan @patchworkduck
Deborah Krajkowski @deborahkrajkowski
Sarah Lebebvre @sidestitchesdesign
Charlotte Noll @kirkenoll
Heidi Parkes @heidi.parkes
Sherry Pacquariello @otterbeequilting
Diane Paquin Provost @dianepaquinprovost
Carole Lyles Shaw @carole_lylesshaw
Kelly Spell @kellyspell
Cheri Ucci @cheriucci

This afternoon, I presented "Big Stitch Quilting and More" to 21 members of Quilting Guild of The 
Villages (QGOTV).

My program began with more than 80 slides that touch on the differences in various types of handwork - Boro, Boho, Kantha, Sashiko, Kawandi, big stitch quilting, and visible mending. 

Then, students had a chance to try big stitch on linen, using sizes 8 and 12 perle cotton. 


This is a lovely group of quilters, and it warmed my heart to hear them as they left... making plans to stitch together again at one of the QGOTV monthly open sews. Mission accomplished! A few more quilters excited to big stitch quilt! 



Since discovering how much I enjoy hand stitching, particularly Kawandi, I'm open to all excuses to do more handwork.

So when I saw that Alison Glass is offering Stitch Club 2022 as a Kantha Sew Along, I registered (only $18)! I'm looking forward to this!

If you're interested too, go here. 



I've also registered for an April 12 virtual Sashiko 101 workshop with Claudia Martinez of Snuggly Monkey @snugglymonkey

While I think I've done Sashiko before (self-taught) it will be good to learn the right way of doing it.

If you're interested - this wonderful shop focuses on hand-stitching supplies - here's the link to Snuggly Monkey, located in Durham, North Carolina.


Book Recommendation

Mary Kay Andrews is a prolific author, and Spring Fever was just as entertaining as the first Andrews title I read: Fixer Upper. Spring Fever is a long listen at 15½ hours! But, if you're in the mood for a light, engaging story, this is a winner. 

Annajane is sitting in a packed church with her best friend, preparing to witness the wedding of Mason and Celia. When the flower girl, Sophie collapses while walking down the aisle, Annajane rushes to take care of her, and engages in conversation with the groom who just happens to be Annajane's ex-husband. 

Annajane and Mason have a long history that goes back to their teens, when Annajane's first job with Mason's family's business - Quixie, a cherry-flavored soft drink company. Even though she's now VP of marketing for Quixie, she's ready to move on. She's engaged to a musician, and preparing to move from Pasco, North Carolina to Atlanta. But with things unsettled with Quixie, and Celia seeming to too-perfect, and with suspicious motives, Annajane isn't prepared to simply walk away.

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0 

Linda

7 comments:

  1. Way to go Linda! So cool to have your temp quilt featured on the advertising materials. Hope you are able to attend the show and see your work. It's also fun to see all the wedge quilts. I enjoy seeing all the different color/fabric combos that your students used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome student work, Linda!! I know you will enjoy your class with Claudia. I've heard she's an excellent teacher. Congrats on having your quilt front and center on the show promotional materials!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mission accomplished indeed! That was a nice group and clearly enthused about hand stitching. Well done. I wish Pompano Beach wasn't so far (yes, same state, but it's a big long state!) because I'd enjoy seeing your exhibit. The Wedge quilts are just wonderful, especially seen all together like that. Another well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to see all those finishes from the class you taught. You'll love the sashiko class with Claudia - she is an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're in "good company" at the quilt exhibit! And I was interested to see that the hand-stitching supply is only about an hour from my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Linda! I wish I still lived in South Florida so that I could go to the exhibit. Looking forward to having you in class next month and I am doing the Alison Glass stitch along too! So much to look forward to! Thank you for the kind words about my shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a talented group of quilters. Big stitch should be fun to teach. Am still working on my first Kawandi. It's slow going to me because I have too many irons in the fire, but it sure is relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin