Tuesday, February 22, 2022

1 - QuiltCon 2022


You might be expecting a QuiltCon recap blog post, but I need time to work out how to arrange quilt pictures! I returned home to Central Florida from Phoenix, at midnight last night (Monday), so today has been about "processing" the event; and unpacking, sorting, and laundry. 

Being one of the first 1,000 people to register for QuiltCon, online last summer, meant that when I arrived at the event and checked-in, I received a swag bag from QuiltCon sponsors. Not only were all the goodies in a cool "Desert Cacti" bag, but several items will be downright useful.

Quilter's Dream batting is my favorite, and QD generously gave each of us a crib size batt of select loft; a pink print fat quarter will suit my Glitter quilt; threads will be nice for piecing; and Flatter iron spray is always useful. 

My purchases from QuiltCon vendors weren't too over-the-top. I went with a shopping list, and was able to buy everything except Aurifil threads.

What I did get are (from left to right): a few fat quarters; yardage of a lovely palm print double gauze (you'll soon see me wearing it); a box and more of size 8 Wonderfil perle cotton; two different brands of natural-colored linen - Essex and Moda - and an orange striped linen; and, (at the bottom) Heat and Bond for the "Seaglass" quilt I plan to make; hand and machine quilting needles; and needle threaders. 

My friend Deb, asked me to take pictures of the Wonderfil booth. IMO, it was one of the best booths and always had a line when I walked past.  

By Saturday, the Wonderfil Eleganza (size 8 perle cotton) display case had many "out of stock" colors. (Seems like the busiest vendor day was Friday.) Handwork was evident in QuiltCon quilts, with lots of them showing off big stitch, Kantha, and Kawandi-type stitching.

I also purchased QuiltCon magazine, as I have at every QuiltCon I've attended. This was my fifth show. 

Inside, I knew I'd find a picture and write-up of my 2019 temperature quilt. It's a huge honor to have a quilt in this publication. 

At the awards ceremony... 

I'll just say that the awards ceremony delivered surprising results. Several of us observed that the definition of "modern" is apparently changing. You can go here to decide for yourself whether winning quilts met the MQG's definition of modern:
"Modern quilts are primarily functional and inspired by modern design. Modern quilters work in different styles and define modern quilting in different ways, but several characteristics often appear which may help identify a modern quilt. These include but are not limited to: the use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. 'Modern traditionalist' or the update of classic quilt designs is also often seen in modern quilting."
Quilts with borders; feather quilting; and buttons as embellishment, were among several unexpected characteristics. I talked with an MQG staffer and suggested that the MQG offer a webinar with a panel of "experts" who could converse about what's currently considered modern. No doubt it's a moving target, but such information would be helpful - to recognize what's on trend, and have those characteristics explained. 

I found myself more interested in non-winning quilts, and will share those in my next post.

As always, the best part of QuiltCon is gathering with friends. It was a happy surprise to find that six, of nine of us from Central Florida MQG, stayed at the same hotel! Gathering for breakfast was as much fun as the show!  
More to come! Linda

17 comments:

  1. Super fun swag bag! That cactus bag is a hoot!!! Congrats on having your temp quilt in the mag! It looks so warm and cozy, from the standpoint of Minnesota in the winter! I thought the same thing about some of the winners this year--modern? Thanks for sharing an insiders view!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a really fun weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your (and everyones) Quiltcon posts on IG. That swagbag looks fabulous and gosh you bought some lovely things. That box of wonderfil thread looks almost more delicious than a box of chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - love the swag bag and goodies! Sounds like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the swag bag and purchased goodies made the visit worthwhile, but the best part was seeing quilts and seeing friends. Though, I enjoyed several lectures too. Certainly, it WAS a great time!

      Delete
  4. Nice swag and purchases. I love those Wonderfil Perle cottons. A moving target is probably a good way to describe the concept of Modern Quilts. It's hard to pin it down. Some of the winners seem closer to the mark in my mind than others-thanks for the link. Look forward to more of your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting thoughts on what is modern...... will have to pay more attention. Thanks for this post and your photos, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My swag bag had 100% polyester, you're lucky you received cotton! I enjoyed seeing your temperature quilt in person, it was fun to see the different ways temperature quilts were interpreted.

    I attended a lecture by Laura Loewen, she argued that we have entered a post-modern era of quilting. It was really interesting, I believe she implied modern quilting had all been done and there was nothing new.

    I love seeing the quilts that others identify as their favorites, it's like seeing the show all over again through another set of eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun! Glad you got some nice goodies and will be looking forward to more conversation about 'modern,' as you're not the only one I've heard that from!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree that "modern" seems to be a moving target. The swag bag looks fun. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be an incredible feeling to see you quilt in the Quilt Con magazine. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Quilt Con experience. I'm learning to appreciate living vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The term modern was silly in the first place, since time keeps moving, and "modern" is a changing style. It definitely would help to know how the current judges define it. Congrats on your swag and having your quilt in the show and in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the palm tree double gauze fabric. I would love to find some of that. Could you give me some details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm amazed by the self control you exhibited in your purchasing, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a good time. I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. fun loot bag! Looks like your group had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin