Tuesday, February 1, 2022

New Projects

Don't ask me why, but when I saw the adorable ponies being made by Jo Avery, I fell in love. They're so darned cute! (I met Jo at QuiltCon in Savannah, and her Scottish accent is as cute as she is.)

Though I don't know a small child who might like one of these, I decided I'd make at least one to donate to the Children's Home of Florida.
"Patchwork Pony" pattern by Jo Avery

Jo's pattern is for sale, with a portion of sales going to a UK organization called Create and Sustain. These ponies are meant to be sewn using only materials you already have at home. The Sew Along begins tomorrow. 

I bought the pattern, and have dug into fabric scraps and leftover batting bits to get started. Though I'm depending on the sharing nature of local friends for felt and yarn to make the eyes, and mane and tail!

If you're interested in joining, here's the link to Jo's post with details.  Though I'm not sure I can keep up because QuiltCon falls during the Sew Along, I'll do my best.

I've previously shared that I've begun designing my quilt for our Central Florida MQG Architectural Challenge. As inspiration, I'm using the picture I took of the Miami Children's Museum, from the balcony of a cruise ship (our one and only cruise in 2019).

I pulled ten colors of Painter's Palette solids. After checking the museum's roof angles against my rotary ruler to work out that they're 60° angles, I started cutting fabrics into those angles. I moved around pieces and could see a possible three-dimensional effect with the placement of lights and darks. 

When one row worked out, I added another row. 

I like where it's headed, though I still don't know what the finish will look like. This is the first time I've intentionally approached designing this way.

Improv Discussion

Yesterday, my friend Maureen (in South Florida MQG) and I had a phone chat about the design method I'm using. She calls it "improv," as she understand improv is creating as you go, whether it's precise or imprecise piecing.

Not to be contrary, but I said I always thought improv meant rotary cutting without a ruler, and using organic pieces to assemble a quilt. 

We had a nice discussion about it, and ended up saying we'd like to know how other quilt makers interpret "improv." Do you have any thoughts about it? 

Nonetheless, I won't be going any farther on my architectural design until I receive an online order of more Painter's Palette "Sky," the lightest blue. 

Speaking of ordering fabric... have you noticed the price of raw cotton? It hit $1.28 today. A record high!

Not to get into a detailed economics lesson, but basically... last May, when we experienced an increase in the price of quilting fabric, by about a $1 a yard or so,  cotton was at about 96 ¢ Can you imagine what retail price $1.28 will translate to?! Fabric prices have the potential to increase by 50%!

My public service announcement to my quilt-loving friends:
If you haven't yet bought quilting cotton fabric needed for a project(s), or you anticipate needing batting, I recommend buying it now. Prices for both products will increase. It's just a matter of "when."
Book Recommendation
You really can't go wrong with any Liane Moriarty book. She's an Australian author who manages to write captivating stories with great insights into a variety of personalities. 

Apples Never Fall is about a family of six, the Delaneys, who live and breathe tennis. Parents Stan and Joy, married nearly 50 years (she's my age) have recently retired from running a tennis club, and are trying to adjust to a newly-quiet lifestyle. Each of their four adult children had the opportunity and potential to achieve tennis greatness, but are now living with various levels of success and struggles, especially in their personal relationships.

When Joy leaves a cryptic text message for her kids, and no one hears from her for days, the family begins to speculate about where she may be. The police are notified. They're recalling that only months ago, a young woman, Savannah, appeared from nowhere on their parent's doorstep. She ingratiated herself, moving in with them, cooking for them, and making the four kids suspicious of her.

I especially enjoyed this book because it's the first time I've read about the pandemic in a work of fiction. I wondered, early-on in 2020, whether authors would ever write about Coronavirus. Liane did. The pandemic isn't mentioned until the last chapters of the book, but the topic works seamlessly into the storyline. Well done, Ms. Moriarty! 

Linda's score: 4.6/5.0

Expecting to be a bit disappointed in any book that followed Apples Never Fall, I was happily surprised to be captivated by Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman. 

Dr. Emma Lewis is a preeminent neuropsychiatrist who is invited to look into what happened to a man found wet and wandering on a British beach, seemingly unable to speak. To investigate his case, she must return home to a place where 14 years earlier, an incident occurred that changed her life, and those of her mother and brother. When Emma meets Mr. Nobody, oddly, he reminds her of someone from her past. Unexpectedly, everything that's happened in the past becomes part of the present, and she must determine who's behind the confusing information she's receiving.  Linda's score: 4.4/5.0


In other fun and games - literally - have you tried playing Wordle? I learned about it from a blogger-friend, Cindy.

It's a word game that can be played only once a day, so you can't become too addicted! And it's not an app, but rather available through the Internet.

I learned this morning that Wordle was sold to the New York Times, so I don't know what that might mean for the future of the game. I only know I am enjoying it, and not doing too badly.

Linda

16 comments:

  1. I just finished Apples Never Fall, and in agreement that it's a good read. Also just found out about Wordle and played it this morning. Fun. Will look into the Mr. Nobody book as well. As I wrote the other day, I am loving the look of your improv piece and the photo you are using as your guide. I think improv is whatever the maker thinks it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing . . . I think I will order more fabric at today's prices. I want to be thrifty (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll order some more batting soon. Those little patchwork ponies are darling, have fun with your new little creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes I play Wordle too and really enjoy it. RE: improv... my definition is closer to your friend Maureen's. I often use my ruler when cutting and it still can be improv imho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I play Wordle every day too - just as well there's only one word per day! I am wondering whether the rise in cotton price will follow on to Australia. It's not unusual for fabric to cost AU$30 per metre these days. Luckily I have a good stash! I have done some improv in cutting curves and quite enjoyed it but if it's straight I use the ruler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw it posted on Instagram that Wordle is the sourdough starter to Omicron. It's certainly hot right now! Speculation is that it may no longer be free with the NYT as owner.

      It will be interesting to see what happens in Australia too. I know it’s already expensive, but what I don’t know is where Australia’s cotton comes from. Does the country use the same sources as the US? That could make a big difference. Yay for having a stash where you don’t have to be concerned about future prices.

      Comments about improv are really interesting, and I’m learning something… mostly that my understanding of it has been wrong! I’m never too old to learn!

      Delete
  6. You are doing so well on the architectural challenge! It is a perfect project for your signature colors lol. My son is now too old for the Children’s Museum so all I have left are good memories of the place when we drive by on our way to the beach. I think Wordle is a little like “Master Mind”, except with letters, not colors. Have fun with the SAL, and happy preparation for Quiltcon! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute cute horses! I can see why you were drawn to them.
    Your architecture piece is looking great.
    On Improv: I always thought it was a way of approaching a quilt with no pattern or set design. Working as you go and as it develops.
    Thanks for the book reviews. I'm start The Lincoln Highway
    Wordle is such fun. I got todays (thurs) in 2 ! woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting translation of your photo, Linda! Regarding your improv discussion, I believe it's a case of a single word having multiple definitions. My view is that improv is working without a pattern and the technique happens to be this month's prompt for the 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge on my blog. Can't WAIT to see how participants interpret improv!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always thought improv was making without using a pattern, but an idea.
    I too found WORDLE during a weekend retreat in January. Found I liked it so well I found an APP to download. Will add those two books to my library Later Shelf. We are getting up to 15 in Che’s of snow here that started sometime during the night. I hope my two books last me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that architectural challenge beginning--you are really taking that to new and interesting places. And I'm so glad you switched from the stairs, although that would have been lovely, too, to see how you handled all the curves in your design.

    So, improv. Hmmmmm. Can't it be both? I look at Maria Schell's (sp?) quilts full of all those bits and pieces, and surely somewhere in there she followed her intuition and her heart and not some diagram. And then there is what you are doing, with curves and unexpected slices and to me, that is improv, too. I think in general, it's pushing away from the strict confines of a traditional approach in quilt-making, however it's defined. Good luck parsing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Improv for me is quilting without a plan and letting the quilt evolve as I go. I rarely cut without a ruler although I may not be measuring anything - just using it to get a straight line. Love the way your quilt is developing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The horse soft toy is reminiscent of the Scotty pattern available on Denyse Schmidt’s website. I made one for a friend’s first grandson about 10 years ago. I’m glad you enjoyed the latest Moriarty novel. Nine Perfect Strangers was horrid so she doesn’t always write a winning novel. I’ve been playing Wordless for over a month now. I believe it will remain free…for the time being. In other words they will charge or starting add advertisements eventually! Ugh! Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the horse soft toy, brilliant idea! They remind me of the patchwork teddies we all made years ago, using anything from jean cutoffs & scrappy patchwork with additional embroidery added. Liane's latest book was a good read, perfect for over the summer hols. And improv, well for me it's about beginning something without knowing how it will look like at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your improv quilt so far. My definition of improv is design-as-you-go, whether with rulers or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the direction of your challenge quilt. Love the colors too. I think improv can be many things. Working without a pattern. Working without rulers. Working without a definite plan and letting the end result evolve. Even though I don't do much improv, some of my work involves s bit of improv since I work out block/color placement as I work out the final layout.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin