Thursday, August 19, 2021

Two Weeks a Go-Go

It's been more than two weeks since I've been able to post because we were again traveling, this time going 3,100 miles plus (4,988K) - from Central Florida to Kansas City to Mason City and Clear Lake, Iowa, back to Kansas City, and home. Our trip was to return grandson #3, Aesa to his family, and see my dad and sister in Kansas City; and attend Dan's 51st high school class reunion in Mason City, Iowa. We've had our fill of highway time - more semi-trucks than automobiles on the roads! - and "kickback" food at Drury Inns.

I couldn't believe my luck when I discovered that our arrival in Kansas City coincided with the Thursday evening (August 12) meeting of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild (KCMQG), and that their guest presenters were Jenny Pedigo and her sister Helen Robinson of Sew Kind of Wonderful! How timely that in another eight days I'll be teaching two Quick Curve Ruler workshops, made by Sew Kind of Wonderful (SKoW)! 
R: Jenny Pedigo L: Helen Robinson

Jenny and I "know" each other through swapping emails, so it was a treat for us to meet in person and share a hug. I've made several SKoW quilt patterns, and for Show and Tell shared the "Metro Curves" quilt I made in 2015 and gifted to my daughter.
Metro Waves, 53" X 71"

Interestingly, this was the first time KCMQG had an in-person meeting since pre-COVID-19. About 65 people attended the meeting with many mask-wearers (like me), and more than 20 people on Zoom. I enjoyed seeing how they ran their meeting (very efficiently) so Zoom attendees could see each quilter and her Show and Tell quilt; and see Jenny and Helen, and their quilts.

These are a few of the Sew Kind of Wonderful quilts that were new to me. 

"Flower Pop" is really pretty in person and is cut using their new Wonder Curve Ruler.





These "Diamond Daze" quilts are cut using their new Quick Straight Ruler. 

While at the meeting, I also got to visit - too briefly - with my Kansas City friend Carla @lollyquiltz who I haven't connected with since before the pandemic. 

Then, it was time to head to Iowa. Though we were in Iowa when the Iowa State Fair began - one of a few things I still very much miss about Iowa - we didn't have time to attend. But I got a kick out of all the Interstate message boards in the Des Moines area that had this admonition: "Buckle up, Butter Cow." 

I laughed out loud. For those of you who haven't had the privilege of attending an Iowa State Fair, a fair tradition in the Dairy Barn is to display sculptures made from butter. The state fair butter cow is iconic. 

Another thing I adore seeing in Iowa is wind turbines, and since living there (more than nine years ago now) many more have been added to the Iowa countryside. 



I took many more pictures than these 'cause I love them so much!

There's something about them that's so mesmerizing. 

If I lived within sight of a wind turbine, I'm sure I'd find myself wasting days, staring at it dreamily.

This area along Iowa Highway 18 was a staging field of wind turbine pieces and parts. 

Clear Lake, Iowa is where we stayed in an Air B&B with Dan's high school classmate and his wife who live in Buffalo, Minnesota. We had a great time with them. 

Our little Air B&B house was a short walk away from the Surf Ballroom, another Iowa icon.

It's on the National Historic Registry, and is synonymous with rock 'n roller Buddy Holly who died in an wintery Iowa plane crash.

Nearby Mason City is where the fellas went to high school (their graduating class was 600+), and where two evenings of reunion activities happened - at the Moose Lodge, and the Olson Building at the North Iowa Fairgrounds. About 225 alums attended, so with guests, it was a good turnout. 

Mason City has greatly changed since I lived there in 1971, and Dan and I met. 

Artwork on the old downtown buildings reflect the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright who built several homes and commercial buildings in Mason City. 

Even this utility box at a street corner looked pretty darned cool!

All those miles in the car meant audiobook listening and English paper piecing for me. This is the only quilt-y making I have to show for the past two weeks - 6 blossoms and 8 crosses pieced for my Prudence Quilt. 

I have much more making ahead! Hopefully my next blog post will be back to more typical, work-from-home projects. 

Book Recommendation
The Last Thing He Told Me 
by Laura Dave begins intriguingly.

Hannah, a professional wood-turner whose life has been formed by the grandfather who raised her, is married to Owen, a coder for a tech company. Their family includes Owen's 16 year-old daughter, Bailey, who Hannah is trying to develop a relationship with. When Owen doesn't return home from work, and Hannah receives a cryptic note in Owen's handwriting that says simply, "protect her," Hannah is compelled to find out why he isn't coming home, what has happened to him, and what she should do.

The story follows Hannah's investigative efforts that take her and Bailey to Austin Texas (it was fun relating to visual descriptions of the city), a US Marshall, and knowledge that forces Hannah to make a choice if she is to do as Owen asked. Though the story is compelling, the ending left me wanting a different finale. 

Linda's score: 3.8/5.0

A recent indulgence for me has been to get mani-pedis. I've especially like to have my nails "dipped" (more durable and lasting than regular nail polish or gel), and had them done before our trip. This time I tried gradated color, with two palm silhouettes painted onto each ring fingernail.

It's fun to play with different nail designs, and I'd like to try doing them myself. I've seen some powder dip/liquid application advertisements, and wonder if they work. Have you tried any of them? Linda

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun trip! Love the quilt with the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy summer you've had! How fun to be able to join in that guild meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flower and the cars/bus quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! I'm glad that the photos I took of some of Jenny and Helen's quilts were appealing to you. They have some great designs. I think the quilt with the vehicles is a new pattern that will use several of their rulers. Sorry I can't reply to you by email, but your Google profile is set to "no reply-commenter." Linda

      Delete
  4. Great trip. I love Clear Lake, Iowa. Hope you got to visit their art gallery, if it's still open. Glad to got to do and see so many people and places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an awesome Guild presentation, Linda. How fortuitous your timing was!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and fun trip you had Linda. I love ALL the quilts you showed, and I have a curved ruler that has never come out of the packaging. I wish I lived near you so I could come to your class.Lol!It's so neat when you accidentally come across a quilting event when you're away. It never seems to work for me. It's usually the week before or after. haha!We are in total lock down here in NZ. We had someone infected come over from NSW Australia.:( I love reading your chatty news Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You saw some great quilts at that guild meeting! So good that you were able to travel this summer. I don't mind seeing those huge windmills but sure wouldn't want to live near one, so noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grand tour you had! You must need to decompress for a few days after all that driving. Flower Pop- love it! How nice that you were able to connect with the presenters and attend the guild. Serendipity. Your nails look great- what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this days ago, just no time to comment. I am so freaking busy, or lazy: pick one. 🙄
    Thank you for sharing all of your pictures of your adventure. Amazing. I love the Flower Pop, and the cars, because... grand babies make you like that kind of thing. I hope one day I can make them before I get decrepit. It is so great you went to a high school reunion. I went to a nutty high school in Maryland and everyone was a druggie, so I did not attend the last two reunions because the former events were just weird. Anyway, hubby went to HS in Michigan, and I LOVED his high school reunions, I went to two, but he did not think they were so great. HA!
    Still, you got friends and a road trip out of this.
    Your EPP looks pretty. I have so many ideas and pieces cut. I just .... am going a bit crazy right now. Yes, sewing a lot, then I sent off 6 quilts to the long armer, got those back and had to start the binding, etc. but, daddy keeps me busy, the hot summer makes me exhausted running errands (I really dislike running errands now, and driving ugh, but things could be worse, right) trying to spend time with my babies before they get too big.
    I am happy you are home sweet home and content. Enjoy your happy days of August

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have certainly had a busy summer on the road and with grandsons coming to stay. My life is pretty tame in comparison but that's the way I like it. Can't say I share your love of wind turbines. While they are mesmerizing, there are so so many now that I find them a blight to the landscape. And I wonder what will happen to all the huge parts when they are no longer usable. Your Prudence quilt is going to be very striking. Love the use of the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Sounds like quite a trip. And thanks for sharing the quilts. We enjoy seeing wind farms when we travel, too. Or we did when we used to travel--you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin