Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Circle Play

Since returning home from our latest road trip, Dan and I have been marveling at how much summer driving we did, beginning at Memorial Day weekend. While each trip was special, and included time spent with friends and family, road weariness felt very real. 

Using Google maps to calculate each trip, we put pencil to paper to tally the distances:
  • Ohio and back
  • Kansas City to Iowa to Kansas City and back
  • New Smyrna Beach and back
  • Montgomery, Alabama and back
  • Texas and back
  • Tampa and back
  • Kansas City to Iowa to Kansas City and back
Not counting local driving in each place, conservatively, we put 11,279 miles (18,152k) on our car! No wonder it feels so good to be home!

Being away gave me lots of time to ponder the three challenge projects I've begun. The Central Florida MQG Chips and Charms Challenge has my attention right now. Using a stack of 60+ blocks that I'd hand-appliquéd onto backgrounds, I started playing with layouts. 

I don't know what prompted a lightbulb moment to make some insert blocks using Painter's Palette Patriot on a background of Painter's Palette Rice Paper. Then I made half-square triangle squares using Rice Paper and Mist. It was okay, but...

... when I made Patriot and Rice Paper half-square triangle squares, it looked better. 

Nice, but how might it look with the addition of another, more subtle color, like Painter's Palette Aquarius? Yes. 

This isn't the final layout, but as the design has grown (52" X 60" so far), I'm seeing how many more appliquéd circle blocks I need - at least 24! So, I've gotten busy making those. 

My method for making appliquéd circles is different than a friend, Fun With Barb, recently shared on her blog... precisely why quiltmaking is appealing to so many people. 

For making circles, I draw the round shape onto a mini-charm (chip) using the lid of a prescription bottle as my template. With a shortened machine stitch length, I sew the mini-charm square onto a square of fusible interfacing along the drawn circle. I use pinking shears to trim the circle, and then cut a slit in the interfacing to turn it right side out. I press circle edges on an appliqué pressing sheet, and then press to fuse the circle to the background.

This project is the first time I've used Auriful 12-weight (color dove gray) for hand appliqué, and I love it! My stitches are practically invisible! Though, you can't miss the fact that my nails match my fabric, can you?

After stitching, to reduce bulk I cut away the fabric and interfacing from behind the appliqué. The last step is to trim these blocks to 4½" square.

This is where I'm now, and I'm having a good time with it. 

Since I'm talking about round things here, how about pizza? 

At my request - pleading - on Sunday evening, Dan made my favorite pizza. It's an expensive pizza to make - the ingredients are pricey - but so-o worth it! We call it "white pizza," but in fact the recipe is called Brié and Pesto Pizza. We obtained the recipe from Wine Country Inn, in St. Helena, California, when we stayed there in September 2011. This is my blog post about being there. 

This pizza began with me! Unusual, I know. I'm certainly not the cook in our family, but I can follow a recipe and did so to make pesto. This was the first time I've ever made it, which I did because of an overabundance of basil growing in a clay pot on the lanai. I impressed myself! Delicious! Pesto recipe here.

So this pizza is built with Dan's homemade crust, my pesto, and topped with brié, zucchini, mushrooms, green onions, red pepper, and fresh grated parmesan. It was absolutely fantastic!  

Book Recommendation

Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica takes place in a quiet, upper-middle class neighborhood. In separate incidences, a woman goes missing, and a few weeks later, another woman and her six year-old daughter go missing. Neighbors gather to help in the search. In the first instance, circumstantial evidence points to death at the hands of the husband. But there are no leads to find the mother and daughter.

Eleven years later, based on circumstantial evidence, the first husband is in prison; the second husband is mourning his wife's apparent suicide, yet still wonders about his now-teenaged daughter. When a young girl escapes captivity in a lightless basement, and is reunited with her dad and brother, life still isn't normal for their household. Secrets are still being kept.

At first, it was a little disconcerting to hop from "11 years ago" to "now," and to follow chapters titled "Kate" or "Leo," but a rhythm develops in the telling. Once I caught on, I was completely hooked. Though the story is dark - literally - I felt great empathy for the characters. 

Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

Though many area churches have returned to in-person worship services, I still haven't found a church home. So, I continue to worship online each Sunday morning at 9 am (Eastern) to hear uplifting sermons from Lutheran Church of Hope. Go here if you'd like to join a live service on Saturday night or Sunday morning. 

Last Sunday, Pastor Mike preached about: Positive Megatrends in the 21st Century Church. I recommend listening to his message here, on YouTube (sermon starts at 38:50) about the "beautiful feet of messengers who bring good news." Romans 10:15.

Pastor Mike concluded his message with how-to's for sharing the good news of Jesus on social media. How to Let Your Light Shine Online. I need and appreciate these reminders the ways my attitude and behavior is a reflection (or not) of Who I believe in. 

This weekend I'm off to Kingsland, Georgia and Jacksonville, Florida for two days of teaching workshops that use Sew Kind of Wonderful "Quick Curve Ruler" and Quick Curve Mini Ruler." While I'm not looking forward to driving, I'm excited about teaching again. My first in-person gig since February 2020!

Let your light shine! Linda

19 comments:

  1. I like all the HSTs mixed in with your circle blocks. Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you're having fun with that challenge quilt, Linda, and that pizza looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your design skills are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving the progress of your quilt! The changes/additions you had made really did pop with each photo - I look forward to seeing how it finishes up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pizza sounds fabulous! We love white pizza and I've already frozen around a dozen small containers of pesto for winter (if it lasts that long). I use a recipe similar to the one you linked to. One difference is we're using chopped walnuts in place of the pine nuts which are hard to find and extremely expensive. We love the fresh pesto on lightly toasted rosemary sourdough bread and topped with some halved cherry tomatoes from the garden.
    Fun quilt you're playing with for the challenge. Will you save those circle cutouts and use them in another creation? Hadn't ever thought about using Aurifil 12 wt for applique but those circles turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for homemade pesto (and pizza!). We enjoy making it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting following along with this challenge quilt... those HSTs in the darker blue really create some movement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy following your design process and seeing it coming together so beautifully as are all your quilts. That pizza looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the challenge is really coming together! Thanks for sharing so much. That pizza sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying this about my challenge quilt! I'm happy with where it's headed, but even since sharing these pictures, I've made another change on the design wall. It may be "the one." My hubs is such a great cook. I'm really fortunate that he began taking responsibility for all the grocery-shopping and cooking, about 12 years ago. It's been a huge burden lifted from me, and I never forget to be grateful for that. More time for sewing!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to the next iteration on the quilt! Hubby here will make dinner when I ask. It's so nice to have that kind of love and support! Your hubs sounds great!!!

      Delete
  10. Love the way your challenge quilt looks with those additions! Looking forward to seeing where you end up. Enjoy your teaching gigs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The addition of HSTs made a positive difference. It's a fun design project. Oh my, that pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your circle project looks great! Very lively and graphic.
    Thanks for the pesto recipe. I am planning to make some soon!
    have fun teaching. I have not don in person again yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still love your circle blocks--such cheerful, lively colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had no herbs this year and am sad with no basil. Will make them a priority next year!! The food sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing work on your challenge quilt Linda. I don't know how you do it :)Love the look of the pizza. I have made my own pesto as well. Yummy. I think we'll have to have pizza for dinner tonight. I've never made my own crust. Can you tell me how Dan makes his please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your challenge quilt. Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candi! Thank you So much! It's very affirming to know blog-readers, like you, "approve" of where my challenge quilt is headed. Thank you for saying so! Did you know you're a "no reply-commenter"? Your Google profile setting can be changed so your comments can be replied to directly. Please let me know if I can help you change that setting.

      Delete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin