Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Regular Doings Again

Because I've begun to return to nearly all of my regular activities, I haven't been accomplishing much in the sewing room. Mostly I've been project-hopping, with nothing being accomplished.

For an 11th birthday gift to a grandson who lives in Texas, I made this pencil pouch following a free pattern by Noodlehead.

Though it isn't visible in the picture, on top of the print lining is a layer of clear vinyl. I like adding it to ensure the fabric doesn't get grungy from pencil lead, or crayons.

The pouch was loaded with several sharpened #2 pencils and a little cash. It was gratifying to be on a FaceTime call with the birthday boy and see the big grin on his face as we watched him open it. 


Issue #40 is the latest issue of Make Modern magazine, a digital publication 
from Australia. The cover quilt was made by my Canadian friend, Leanne, who blogs at DevotedQuilter.





A "Gallery" of 17 colourwash quilts are shared in this issue, and mine was one of them!

While there's no compensation for being include in Make Modern, it's fun to have one's quilt publicly shared.

Here's the link to my July 2020 post about making Scrap Snap. It's a quilt that's already been given to my brother and sister-in-law.

Instructions to make Scrap Snap blocks can be found at Kari's blog: QuiltsfortheMaking. My block arrangement is completely different than any layout Kari suggests.

You probably remember that in March, for National Quilting Month, I won an Instagram giveaway of 100 fat quarters of Superior Solids by Benartex. Well. Last week I won two more Instagram giveaways! First, from NotYourMamasQuiltStore in Plano, Texas I won a Quilter's Dream 60" X 60" select loft cotton batt.  Then, I won - along with Charlotte @kirkenoll who's also a member of the South Florida MQG - an on-demand workshop from Carolina Oneto of Sao Paulo, Brazil. I chose this workshop. Whoo-hoo! Feelin' lucky!

Book Recommendation
At the start of Stars Over Sunset Boulevard by Susan Meissner I was totally enthralled with the story of Audrey and Violet, two young women in Hollywood, working in the secretarial pool at MGM studios. Indirectly involved in the production of Gone With the Wind, I was fascinated with an inside look into the making of the movie. I've seen GWTW at least a dozen times, so every time a scene or costume or lines was talked about, I knew exactly what was being referenced. So the front part of the story kept my attention, especially when Scarlett's green velvet hat with gold fringe disappears from the movie set.

As the story continues, following Audrey's separation from her father, and her quest to become a movie star; and Violet's life as a wife and mother, the friendly relationship between the two women becomes (to me) a little tiresome and overfraught with emotional analysis. Still, if you are a fan of GWTW, then I highly recommend this book.
  
Linda's score: 4.2/5.0

Saturday morning was the Central Florida MQG meeting, with lots of great show and tell. Visit our blog to see some great-looking pandemic-made quilts. Then, Saturday afternoon was the South Florida MQG meeting via Zoom. Both chapters are asking for member input for QuiltCon Charity Quilt Challenge ideas, so I've been playing with EQ8. The 2022 theme is "Angles."

I'm still attending church virtually, and Pastor Mike's Sunday sermon was exceptional! He tackled some of the relevant stuff - mask-wearers/not mask-wearers - which is one of the reasons I appreciate his messages. He talks about topical concerns. 

Pastor Mike mentioned that Lutheran Church of Hope has some "mask-optional" worship services explaining that if you want to wear a mask because you have a health condition, or you're not vaccinated, or you want to set an example for your children, you can wear a mask without being judged. You can wear a mask "until Jesus comes, if you want!" 😂

He also showed some NASCAR clips (his oldest son, Jonathan is a NASCAR television producer), so if you have even a little interest, here's the YouTube link to the May 16 service: Ready, Set, Go!

I've been back to line dancing again, twice a week for several weeks now. No mask required as everyone (12-16 people) has been vaccinated. Though I'm experiencing a few muscular aches from dancing in an hour and 50 minute class, it's great to be doing it again. 

On Monday I returned to ukulele club - Peace, Love and Ukulele - for the first time since March 2, 2020.

Thankfully, I haven't forgotten all the chords I learned, and I was reminded that playing my ukulele makes me happy... as does singing, though that was challenging while wearing a mask (required for this group). We're anticipating that by June 1, masks will no longer be requested in our recreation centers. 

FOLLOWING MY BLOG BY EMAIL
By July, Google Blogger will discontinue its email auto-delivery of blog posts by Feedburner. This will affect all of the blogs you follow by email!

If you previously registered to receive email notifications of my blog posts, or would like to register to receive email notification of my blog posts, please register by completing the NEW Follow It form I have installed on the right-hand menu of my home page. 

Note that you'll receive notification within 24 hours of my post. Or, you may wish to follow blogs via Feedly.)

Thanks to 111 of you who have registered to receive my blog posts by email! Linda

6 comments:

  1. I've been a Susan Meissner fan for a long time, so I must look for this one! And Gone with the Wind has always been a favourite movie too! Congratulations on being included in the latest Make Modern magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see your life returning to some normalcy. I am enjoying some of the limited mask free time. Your quilt is beautiful and I see why it was selected to be in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy outside your home once again- hooray. I'm intrigued with the "on demand" class you won. Wondering how that works. I'm sure it will be fun. Congrats on having your quilt included in the publication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pencil pouch turned out nice! The line dancing class sounds like fun. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Nice prizes and having your quilt published!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on those wins, Linda! Fun, fun. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad things are getting more normal for you and you can now enjoy dancing and playing ukulele again. I shed my mask at the grocery store yesterday when I saw they weren't required and it felt so freeing. Here's to a more normal life for all soon. Congrats on all the wins. I once had a streak of book wins which was good at the time since I was the guild librarian. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin