Saturday, March 14, 2020

Social distancing? No problem!

Given worldwide concerns about the Coronavirus pandemic, life hasn't seemed quite normal. Though we had company earlier this week and enjoyed a lovely visit with my cousin and his wife, awareness of the Coronavirus cast a shadow on everything. Then, emails began to trickle in, canceling or postponing this or that activity.

I was scheduled to teach a free motion quilting class here, Wednesday afternoon; that has been postponed.

I was contracted to give a free motion quilting presentation to members of Ladies of the Lakes Quilter's Guild in Lakeland. I apologetically backed out. The program person told me their members would be in attendance. Really? At this point, wouldn't it be irresponsible to not adopt social-distancing?

Apparently people have differing views about this pandemic. I'm erring on the side of caution, and have no problem staying at home. After all, I'm a quilter! Does anyone who makes quilts have a hard time ever finding "something to do?"

When I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the worsening Coronavirus news, I turned to "mindless" piecing, or "mood sewing." I use those terms because it's the kind of piecing that's satisfying when I don't have to pay attention to what my hands are doing. I can be introspective. Spend time in thoughtful prayer.

This week's mindless sewing was piecing another dozen blocks for my #colorblockpostagestampquilt. These are 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" squares from my leaders/enders basket, alternated with 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" solids. Each 64-patch block finishes at 8" X 8". I have more solids cut/ready to go.

During travel time to/from QuiltCon in Austin, Texas, I English paper pieced Prudence Quilt blocks. Since I'm randomly using scraps and fussy cutting some yardage, I wanted to see how the blocks look together. I'm liking it! In particular, I'm happy about choosing the small black and white stripe for in-between blocks.

This project was part of last week's sewing activities. Daughter Jill, for whom I made this Moroccan Tiles quilt, requested a table runner from the same fabrics, using the same design. It's 13" X 27-1/2".


Every evening, after several hours of sewing at the machine, I sit down in my comfy aqua-colored swivel-glider, pick up grandma's vintage quilt, swing my Daylight Slimline lamp over my lap, and big stitch quilt X's across the quilt top. I'm quilting with Sue Spargo Eleganza #8 pearl cotton.

You can see exactly where it's quilted! (Gosh, doesn't my new camera take great pictures?!) See the ripples? That's the quilted part. See the smooth fabric a little higher? Especially along the border fabric. That's the unquilted part. 

Compared to last week's lively audiobook review - Where'd You Go, Bernadette - this week's listen is extremely tame. I checked out a Christian book - Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity by Charles Swindoll.

I've always liked Esther - the only book in the Bible that doesn't mention God, or use His name. I listened to this because I adore and have watched many times the movie "One Night With the King," a beautiful movie portrayal of Esther's story.

Oh my! I just looked and found the movie on YouTube! Watch it here.

Reverend Swindoll provided numerous insights into Esther's seemingly fairytale story. She's an orphaned Jewish girl being raised by her Uncle Mordecai. She's a beauty, and is invited into King Ahasuerus's (AKA Xerxes) palace to be pampered and adorned to meet the king. When Esther is favored by King Ahasuerus she marries him. Then, after the king's prime minister, Haman, decrees that all Jews must be killed, Esther boldly steps in for an audience with the king. She tells the king that she too is a Jew. Still he grants her every request, even to the point of executing Haman... on gallows Haman had built to execute Mordecai! Esther then issues a new edict that saves her fellow Jews from death. It's an interesting and remarkable account of God's sovereignty. He can do all things, through anyone, and accomplish good. It's a message every one of us needs to hear. 

Linda's score: 4.0/5.0

Be safe. Stay healthy my friends, Linda

12 comments:

  1. Our pastor sent out a very uplifting message via email this morning. Our small country church will be open as usual tomorrow morning, but asks folks to stay home and listen to the sermon online if they feel at all ill or are nervous about going out. He also referred all to Psalm 91, which is a perfect reference for anyone gripped with fear. I plan to hold our regular quilt ministry meeting on Tuesday as there are only about 8 regulars at this point and we're all of an equally vulnerable age but rarely travel outside our rural area. I'm always happy to stay home and quilt! Your projects are all lovely, i especially love your Prudence quilt blocks. Be well my friend, and rest in the promises of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm home and staying there for now. Doing mindless sewing of scrap 2 1/2 inch squares. It will turn into something one day....my pandemic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Glad that you are able stay home too, and that you’re enjoying sewing time. Those squares will turn into a quilt that will be a significant reminder of these trying times. Enjoy the making!

      Delete
  3. I am staying home, plenty of garden clean up to do anyway....
    and I am allowed into daddy's community because I am the daughter.
    Let's see how this goes.... all things considered by the hate filled main stream media that can't let go of TDS.
    Stay happy and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, canceling group events is not silly. Everyone is doing it, and I think it's wise. Isn't Florida one of the states where all schools are closed?
    Anyway, I love the b&w stripe in your EPP piece - good choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hunkering down too, especially since I am in that ahem, older age group. Not to be morbid, but I am glad I updated my will last July!
    Your colorful postage stamp quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in my studio stitching away this weekend and actually looking forward to the next couple of weeks of quiet sewing. Love the postage stamp quilt. I've considered making one but so far haven't gotten past the thinking stage. Too, too many other projects in the works. Enjoy your new chair and slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your postage stamp quilt - those tiny scraps are SO in my wheelhouse. The perfect way to spend some social distancing time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will personally never (I know, never say "never") do an English paper piecing pattern, but I really like yours and you are absolutely right that the X with the black and white stripes in the perfect fabric for that block - looks gorgeous!!! Staying home and staying healthy is the name of the game and I have so much quilting and piecing to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started out worrying about overreacting; I kept reading and quickly shifted to helping to flatten the curve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I hope you're remaining as upbeat now, about flattening the curve, as you were four days ago. The news keeps getting worse, and more challenging to absorb. But we must self-isolate and continue to have faith that God is in control. It's all surreal, to be sure. I am replying to you here because you are a "no-reply commenter." I am glad to reply by email, if I have your e-dress.

      Delete
  10. I agree we need to be safe but stop panicing and blaming everyone else!! Staying home and sewing is a wonderful outlet!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin