Sunday, March 1, 2020

More QuiltCon

I'm glad most of you liked my previous post about QuiltCon. I can't let QuiltCon go - yet - though I am finding I must move on here at home.

This coming week...
Monday evening I'll share a photo presentation of QuiltCon quilts with our Central Florida MQGers. If you're in the area (Lady Lake, Florida), you're welcome!

Wednesday finds me giving a presentation and demo on ruler quilting to members of the Orlando MQG. See my program/teaching schedule by clicking the tab above.

Almost the only quilt-y related things I've done this week is put together a short stack of fat quarter-sized quilt sandwiches on which I can demonstrate quilting. I used my favorite homemade basting spray. Recipe on right-hand side of this home page.

Among several vendors at QuiltCon, I shopped at the Daylight booth. Already having a Slimline table lamp clamped to my sewing machine table, I knew I'd make good use of a Slimline floor lamp. Having the floor model next to my aqua chair is ideal for nighttime handwork as I continue hand quilting Xes across this vintage quilt.

This picture, taken by Colleen Molen @cj.molen, Exhibits Coordinator for the MQG, speaks volumes about the QC quilt display. It just so happens you can see my "L Cabin" quilt.

While I was in my (only) workshop, all day on Friday, I received a text message from a friend who was sitting in on Steph Skardal's lecture: "The Intersection of Generative Art and Quilting." Steph had put up this presentation slide.

That's my temperature quilt (top), on the right! The temp quilt on the left belongs to a fellow Central Florida MQGer. Neither of us had been contacted about our quilts being shown during Steph's lecture. Credit is given, so how can I be upset?

The next 30 pictures are of QuiltCon quilts. Credit is given to each maker. I am only sorry I don't have quilt dimensions for every quilt. That information isn't provided on the show tags, and only appears on the QuiltCon website if the quilt has won an award. See all the winners here.

In no particular order....

This is 37" X 41" "Rift" by Jera MacKenzie @jeramackenzie. It won second place in the Minimalist category.

Amazing to realize how tiny the piecing is!

I'm so glad I chose to take an all-day workshop with Carson Converse @carsonconverse. She's really a talented artist, and I learned so much in her "Designing Intentionally" workshop.

She had four quilts in the show, two of which won awards. This one received third place in the Minimalist category.

Her matchstick quilting is exquisite! 

Here's another of Carson's quilts that received the first place award in Modern Traditionalism. The photo just can't capture the depth of color she achieved in the piece. I literally stopped three different times to gaze at it. It too has fine matchstick quilting.

Bands of color form "Shade Study," 46" X 52" by Megan Ellinger @meganmm. It won second place in the Stripes Challenge. 

On close inspection, you realize the color gradation is achieved with 1/8th inch-wide strips!

2,160 strips, to be exact!

On first glance, "Intersections" by Rachael Daisydodd @bluemountaindaisy doesn't look like my cup of tea. 

On closer look... Wow! All the designs are visibly stitched to the surface!

This one impressed me because reverse appliqué isn't often seen in a modern quilt show. Heidi Cronce @handmade_by_hilda made "Wings/Taking Flight."

Lots of hand stitching here too. Those short vertical stitches on each block were all that held the quilt sandwich together.

I am always fascinated by improv. I don't do it well myself, so I'm intrigued. This is "Eyes," a Group Quilt made by Karen Foster of @capitolaquilter. Members of the BeeSewcial group made the blocks.

Love seeing quilts with a bright range of colors. This one, "Rectangles Become Squares" by Elizabeth K. Ray @elizabethkray is densely matchstick quilted, and has been selected to be part of the MQG's traveling show that can be seen at various venues for the next year. Elizabeth had it marked for sale: $950.

I follow Kate Henderson on Instagram @katehendersonquilts, and watched her progress as she hand-appliquéd each of these block. She randomly assembled them when they were finished.

Lorena Uriarte @lorena_in_syd seemed to have whipped up this quilt in no time for the Stripes Challenge. I was following her on IG as she made it. This is 68" X 68" and pieced with striped fabrics. "Dynamic Hypnotic" definitely makes one's eyes go wonky, in a picture and in person.

Her quilting is impressive because after spiral machine quilting, she added big stitch quilting in between machined lines. 

I also follow Sarah Lefebvre @sidestitches, on Instagram, and watched as she made "Kangaroo Court." 

It too is super-impressive when you realize how tiny her piecing is! Only 3,113 pieces in this quilt!

Another Stripes Challenge entry was this improv quilt by Karen Foster @capitolaquilter. 

Machine and big stitch quilted, of course. 

I've been a fan of Heather Black's @quiltachusetts designs since before she became a celebrity quilter. I always like the graphic-ness of her designs which has become very identifiable. She's now a QuiltCon instructor and lecturer, and author. This quilt is "Festoons."

Another improv quilt, "Good Vibrations," made me stop and study. It belongs to Kristin Shields @kristinshields.

Big stitch and decorative hand quilting with pearl cotton was the name of the game in the next three quilts. If I was to name one trend at QuiltCon 2020, it would be hand-quilting, though not in the traditional sense.

Jen Broemel @highfivesandsilverlines made this improv quilt called "Lessons Learned."

So much hand stitching! In person, these threads looked neon.
 

Another quilt, also by Jen Broemel @highfivesandsilverlines won third place in the Small Quilts category. This is 28" X 35" "Blushin' Blue."

Doesn't it appear that she machine quilted, and then hand quilted in between the machine lines?

Bright. Improv. And big stitch. Does it get any better? Jen Broemel @highfivesandsilverlines also made "Getting Centered."


"Lys" by Daisy Aschehoug of @warmfolk.

I could sure post lots more pictures of QuiltCon quilts, but putting together these blog posts takes considerable time. So I'll just say that I highly recommend attending a QuiltCon when you have the chance.

In 2021 that will be in Atlanta, Georgia: February 18-21.

In 2022 that will be in Phoenix, Arizona: February 17-20.

The Lord willing, I will attend!

By the way... thank you for your comments about continuing to follow by blog, even though I'm no longer associated with the blog-reader Bloglovin'. (Too many of my new followers were linked to sex websites, and Bloglovin' does not offer a feature to block such followers.)

I hope you've subscribed by email (enter your email address on the right side of the home page), and continue to comment. Your comments keep me going! Thanks! Linda

14 comments:

  1. Well, being the traditionalist that I am, Eyes was the one that made me look closer. Lots of originality out there for sure! It's always fun to explore the creator's use of color and design sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use of cross stitches in BIG Big Stitch! Fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the quilt show! Lots of imagination and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! You’re a no-reply commenter, so I hope you see this. I’m glad you enjoyed this glimpse into QuiltCon. It’s so much more than I shared here. A #quiltconhangover is real!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recap Linda. I love seeing new quilts that I haven't seem elsewhere. Have fun with all your presentations/programs. FYI: Now an email subscriber instead of Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing quilts!!! Thanks for sharing with those of us who couldn't attend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy you enjoyed these pictures. Thank you for saying so.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for so many detail shots of the quilt - pretty amazing work there! And RE: Bloglovin, even tho you unsubscribed, your blog post still shows up in MY reader. So nothing has really changed from my end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love following your blog. Always so impressed with your quilts. I do have a question about the books that you listen to. Do you get them from a club? I know how expensive they are to buy. Just wondering! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Gosh, thank you so much for your kind words. I would love to answer your question with a direct reply, but your Google settings are as a "no-reply commenter." I can't email you a response because I don't know your email address. But, I will reply here in the hope that you will see this. I do not get my audiobooks from a club. I do not buy them. As a card-holder to my local public library, I have access to their free library apps, three of which are loaded on my iPhone. The apps I use to listen to books are Axis 360 and RBDigital. We used to be able to listen to books through Hoopla too, but as of February our library has suspended access to books (I'm really disappointed about that). I hope this is helpful information and that you can take advantage of whatever your public library offers. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  8. That was an impressive exhibition of quilt work Lind. The designs were unique and intricate. The designs patterns, especially the colorful ones, were quite surprising. A hearty congratulation for getting your work displayed in Steph’s lecture. The design of ‘ Temperature’ quilt was excellent. Good job, Linda! And keep inspiring us with the posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, QC was impressive. For sure. I’ve been honored by the attention my temp quilt has received, and it’s definitely putting pressure on my to finish it. I’m glad you like these posts! I’m also sorry you’re a “no-reply commenter.” I would have been happy to swap emails with you.

      Delete
  9. Many thanks for all the details about these QuiltCon quilts, Linda! Since I wasn't able to attend, I appreciate hearing your take on what was trending and notable. And I can see the top of my quilt in that pic of the show floor -- yahoo! The MQG displays quilts unlike any show I've been to, as the perspective of that picture illustrates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Linda, just gorgeous. Congratulation on getting your work displayed in Steph’s lecture. The design of ‘Temperature’ quilt was outstanding. Your work is unique and beautiful. Thank you for exhibiting your fabulous work with us. Have a great Day Linda.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin