Saturday, December 14, 2019

Replies and Blogger Problems

Updated 12/15/19 with information about how to fix this problem. 

I really appreciated comments from 14 of you who took the time to remark and encourage about my QuiltCon entries, and quiltmaking in general.

Three of you - JCinTX, Debbie, and Unknown - are "no-reply commenters," so I was unable to email you in return. So, as I usually do when a commenter is "no-reply," I went to my own blog post comments and tapped "reply" to each of you. This is where a new Blogger problem has developed.

I wrote a thoughtful response to each of you, hit "publish," and my reply promptly disappeared.

Likewise, this is happening when I attempt to comment on other Blogger's blog posts. My comment disappears. It seems that even though I'm logged into my Google account, when I write a comment and choose to comment with my Google profile, I'm not there.

Searching for answers on Google, it's suggested that bloggers change their comments from "embedded" (appearing at the bottom of a blog post) to "pop-up" (appearing on a separate page). I have done this.

While this may enable me to see all the posts, it still does not allow me to publicly reply to commenters who are "no-reply commenters."

Sigh.

After much online searching through discussions about this problem, I figured out what my issue is  was. This will apply to you if you use Safari as your browser, as I do. Safari is on my MacBook and my iPhone.

When using the Safari browser to comment, Safari settings must be set to turn off “prevent cross-site checking.”
Safari, Preferences, Privacy 
The thing is, cross-site checking was turned off on my MacBook, but it was not turned off on my iPhone! Since they’re in sync with my Google account, the iPhone setting was the problem.

No more. Hooray! I can comment on other's blogs from my MacBook and iPhone, and can reply to no-reply commenters. 

While I enjoy technology, and appreciate the fact that I've been able to blog for ten years (!), I'm not a bit happy when technology companies mess with a good thing, and thereby create problems. I believe this problem arose when I installed Safari security updates. 

In any case, I deeply appreciate every comment from my previous post. If you've never blogged yourself, you can't imagine how nice it is to receive feedback. Linda

5 comments:

  1. I've not noticed this problem - yet, though I've also not clicked on the "try the new Blogger" button that now shows up on my blog dashboard page. I do know that google continues to refuse to play nicely with any email accounts except google mail. My way around potential problems is to moderate comments and then I always see comments before they post to the blog. Since I rarely receive comments from new folks all my blogging buddies are in my contacts list so I can respond easily, pasting the comment into my response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great when things work and beyond frustrating when they don't. I've sometimes had problems leaving comments that would disappear and started copying my response before hitting send just in case it. Lately, many of my blog comments are coming through to me first in emails as possible spam. Then I have to tell it to post or not. I've also gotten a lot of spam posts lately. I just don't have the time or inclination to deal with technology issues. My time is better spent sewing. Sometimes it's enough to make me want to chuck it all. I'd certainly get more done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use blogspot for my blog and I moderate comments so I do get an email with each comment...otherwise it does get difficult to reply to comments...which all bloggers love!! I also rarely comment on blogs that I follow where the blogger doesn't EVER respond. Apparently on some blogs I am a no-reply commenter, but on most blogs that isn't a problem. Someone actually tracked me down to my blog to comment back to me!! Maybe suggest to people who comment on your blog that if they may be a no-reply commenter, they could leave their email in the comment so you could respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a general comment not specific to this blog.... as a reader when I leave a comment and the system starts its run around.... I run what I have to say is not necessary.

    ps if you ever figure it out, I know you will let us in on the "new" system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So frustrating Linda. I haven't as yet struck that problem....although in saying that, maybe I have and just don't know it :-)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin