Thursday, June 20, 2019

Taught Again: Wedge Quilt Workshop

On Wednesday I spent six hours teaching 11 members of Quilting Guild of The Villages how to use 9 degree and 10 degree wedge rulers to make "Carousel" quilts. It was delightful to have four members of my own chapter - Big Cypress Quilters - in the group.

These are the quilt makers. (In hindsight, I could have taken a better photo by putting my camera on something higher than a chair. Duh me.)

These are some pictures of their work.

Isn't that background fabric interesting? It's a color gradation of large roses. Ombré Roses. Rene is thinking to put a whole rose in the center of her wedge circle.





Yvonne used a Zen Chic print, Kona Snow, and Kona Splash (the color of the year) to make her Carousel.


The more of these I see - such a variety that all look good! - the more I realize that the most successful Carousels are made with high contrasting fabrics.

It was delightful to spend time with these quilters! They were each perfectly lovely individuals, and feel like I made new friends. Special thanks to Pam K. and Bo H. for attending, and ensuring everything went smoothly.

As the workshop was ending, we noticed the clock in the room. The clock face is wedges! We'd been doing verbal math all day, calling out quantities of wedges for quilters using 9 degree rulers, and quilters using 10 degree rulers; and test-and-trim measurements at 30 degrees, and 45 degrees - 60, 90, and 180 degrees. After so much practice, we easily knew that this clock face is made with 30 degree wedges. Smart quilters, hey?

I woke this morning to find an Instagram (IG) direct message letting me know I won an IG giveaway.

I was stunned to learn that 3,962 people had commented on that IG post in attempts to win. And my name was chosen!

Ironically, just a couple weeks ago, I had seen the Prudence Quilt pattern and English paper piecing kit on Jen's website: www.RedThreadStudio.com and seriously contemplated buying it. What had me reconsidering was the cost: $105 for the pattern, papers, and cutting template (no fabric).

So you can imagine my surprise to find I won it! Not only will I receive Prudence quilt supplies, but 10 fat quarters of Bespoke Liberty Collection. Liberty fabrics are something I've never bought, never used, and quite honestly seem much too flowery for my tastes. But I'm going to be open-minded, and see what they're like when they arrive - all the way from Australia. The entire giveaway is valued at $240!

Dan wants to buy a lottery ticket today.  Linda

16 comments:

  1. The wedges are great and it looks like some happy students pictured. Congratulations on such a fabulous win. You may not like the lawn fabrics, or the flower prints, but in the pattern pictured, they may be perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ran into 2 of the participants in your class. They had great things to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the results of your wedge ruler classes, and it tempted me (Christina Camelli's) on the QuiltCon classes list, solely because of you. Congratus on your winnings, and that joke at the end is too funny. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I get so jealous every time I see ladies taking your wedge class. I really ove that striking design. I suppose I could buy a book and learn it myself but not quite as fun. Oh you lucky duck winning LIBERTY! Their florals are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so love those big beautiful curvy blocks. The clock was a happy coincidence. And congratulations on that win. I have never bought Liberty fabrics because they are pricey but winning them...oh yes you should let him buy the lottery ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That class looks great fun, Linda! It must be so gratifying seeing all the different colour combos people come up with to make your design. Congratulations on your fab win! I’m glad you’re willing to keep an open mind about the versatility of Liberty florals. They are pretty much the only florals in my current life of bright, saturated solids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are great. My life is one big duh.
    Yay for winning liberty fabrics and a pattern and all that. Once it arrives you are going to have to get started, perhaps when the weather is boiling, or some hurricane is breathing down your back yard haha
    That clock is supah cool

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, you are a fantastic teacher! Your students' works are beautiful!
    And, congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous win, Linda! Congratulations! I’ve always admired quilts I’ve seen made with Liberty fabrics, but like you, shied away from all the flowery prints. It will be fun working with something different for a little while. Every creation from your class is awe inspiring! I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite! But I now have a renewed interest in perhaps giving it a try one day. Well done, and I’ll just bet it was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great class as all the ladies made fantastic progress on their carrousel quilts. I really couldn't say with is my favourite as they are all so lovely. It also looks like a fun and fast way to make a quilt and could be a good stash buster. Congrats to your win, what a "lucky duck' you are ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wedges class looks like a lot of fun for all who participated. Congratulations on your big win! I think it will be fun to mix some of those lovely Liberty prints with your favorite solids. Predicting you will enjoy working with them! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful wedge results! Another group of happy quilters. Nice win- will look forward to seeing your Liberty collection. I haven't seen those in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for your successful and fun class. That's awesome. AND yay for the win. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I see these fun wedge quilts I want to make one. It must be a fun class to teach. Congrats on your big win too . . . buy me a lottery ticket too please. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your wedge class looks a lot of fun! I can't get over, how many times you win things. I'm sure some people are just lucky. It's the same in our quilt group/guild. The same people seem to win the raffles all the time.:-) Not me. :-( LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin